Break up!

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Lean it out AND add boost. :p but no, no more mods until this shits figured. I have a buddy with a properly running supra I'm gonna do a little parts swapping with tomorrow night...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Don't have time to scan the whole thread so I'll just ask a few quick questions.

What's the measured voltage at each coil? Ohm the ground side to a ground on the car itself, what does it say? Is your igniter grounded? Morgansons COP mod demands a lot on the stock igniter and IIRC someone responded in his thread about the coils breaking up at higher RPMs.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
IndigoMKII;2022995 said:
Don't have time to scan the whole thread so I'll just ask a few quick questions.

What's the measured voltage at each coil? Ohm the ground side to a ground on the car itself, what does it say? Is your igniter grounded? Morgansons COP mod demands a lot on the stock igniter and IIRC someone responded in his thread about the coils breaking up at higher RPMs.

I haven't checked the voltage output of the coils, and don't really know how... But yes, my ignitor is grounded. And the people saying that the morganson cop mod was breaking up was at 15+ pounds of boost, usually on a large turbo

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
It wasn't too long ago. Couple months? But it's not running all that rich.. for a stock tune atleast. And I hace some sticky nitto 555s out back in 255.. they're pretty damn hard to spin.

But! Yes, I am lacking in power lol.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Well, low 9.x is pretty rich, even for stock tune. Do you have a way to watch your vF as you drive? A narrowband does this amazingly as it only reads the 0-5v if you have one on hand. I'd look into a boost leak or an injector isn't spraying properly.

It's too smooth for it to be anything like fuel cut and it only sounds like one cylinder is breaking up. How old are the plugs, can you tell by them which cylinder is on the fritz?

Last edited:

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I thought that was pretty normal for a stock tune? And brand spanking new plugs. Injectors were cleaned and flow tested 20k miles ago. All plugs don't seem to indicate anything out of the ordinary.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
So I noticed something today... I swapped back to my original CPS (I kind of jury rigged the other one into connecting..) And when I do a pull, its slightly slower (atleast it seems that way...), and also running about .2-.3 richer.. Could both of my CPSs be causing an incomplete burn and therefore a false rich scenario? Or is it just because it's hot today and it was cool last time I did pulls?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Okay, so scratch that. I had a HUGE boost leak. The union in my EGR pipe going to the side of the intake manifold was loose. And by loose I mean the nut was completely backed off lol.

With that being said, I'm now running a solid 10.0-10.2 AFR until redline.. Well.. 5000 rpm. It still breaks up.

I tried my buddies AFM and Ignitor. With a new calibrated TPS, new coils, and the AFM and Ignitor off of my buddies car that runs well... The only thing that's really left is the CPS and wiring harness.. And this harness is MINT... What do you guys think? Is there anyway I can test the CPS? It ohms out correctly, but that's all I was able to check on it. I was going to throw my buddies on my car but he has the stock square 4 pin connector and I have a flat four weather pack connector on mine...

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
And just to give you an idea of how bad this boost leak was.. I reset my ecu and at idle on first fire up (before the ECU adjusted for it) it was sitting at 16.5:1. Yikes. Lol

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Backlash2032;2023066 said:
So I noticed something today... I swapped back to my original CPS (I kind of jury rigged the other one into connecting..) And when I do a pull, its slightly slower (atleast it seems that way...), and also running about .2-.3 richer.. Could both of my CPSs be causing an incomplete burn and therefore a false rich scenario? Or is it just because it's hot today and it was cool last time I did pulls?

Do you run E85? If so try to advance CPS by 2-3 °

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I may, but I noticed that my CPS pickups were cracked today. On both of my CPSs.. could I heat shrink them if they ohm out correctly and see if it fixes my issue? Or perhaps epoxy them?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Everyone's pickups are cracked , or will be. It has no effect. In my case, I re-epoxied them during a CPS rebuild, but it ran fine before with the cracks.

I highly doubt your problem is CPS related. The CPS signal is weaker at low speed, so that is where a bad CPS might be a problem. You've ruled out fuel, so now I would focus on ignition.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
So as long as the resistance is correct (mines around 160 ohms/pickup), and the air gaps are correct, the CPS should work fine? Square one I guess..