Break up!

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
So, cliffs... Break up at 5500. Air fuel ratio is bang on. 10.2:1 ish. No codes, timings set properly, tps is set properly, cps is good, tps is brand new, known good igniter or afm doesn't change a thing. New hot coils doesn't change a thing either. I know 7m ECUs rarely fail... But I really don't know what else to try. When I put the harness on I pulled it all apart and ohmed every single wire on it. And did a visual inspection as well. Nothing was out of the ordinary.. I'm pulling my hair out over this

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
Sounds to me like you could really use some sort of way to see exactly what the TCCS is doing there. There might be someone out there that has some sort of daughter board........

me:stickpoke 3p

lol

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I'm not sure it would be much help for this problem. It would be a good to confirm the TPS is working properly. If you have a DVM, check the TPS resistance between VTA - E2 versus throttle angle. Should vary smoothly with no jumps or flat spots from a low resistance at idle to high resistance WOT.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=101

Also, I know you gapped the plugs per above, but what plugs are you running, and have you swapped them out for something different?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
When I get home I'll ohm the tps. I used to have autolite coppers (forgot what number, but they were what everyone recommends. Now Im using NGK platinums for a 2jz as recommended by morganson. Either way, the break up was still there.

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
3p141592654;2023327 said:
I'm not sure it would be much help for this problem. It would be a good to confirm the TPS is working properly. If you have a DVM, check the TPS resistance between VTA - E2 versus throttle angle. Should vary smoothly with no jumps or flat spots from a low resistance at idle to high resistance WOT.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=101

Also, I know you gapped the plugs per above, but what plugs are you running, and have you swapped them out for something different?

I was just razzin you a bit, only because I want one of your TCCS's. I was thinking he'd be able to log this mystery "break up" and find a source. No offence if any was taken. BTW I have a *CAL MT GTE TCCS on the shelf if you want to mess around with it.