BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Interesting stuff bigaaron, thanks for posting!

Mickyg: Thanks for the good advice. I don't think raising the engine will be an option, as the 7M already looks a bit taller than the 2M. I will know more tomorrow!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Updates finnally! Real life can be a bit of a pain in the ass. Work and laundry all that.

Did a test fit with the 7M oil pan and it was a no-go as expected. Had to do some modifying to the 2M pan, no big deal. I cut the baffle to clear the oil tube and hammered down the bottom of the pan for the 7M pickup. In the photos you can see that I put the pan on and tightened it down to see just how much clearance I had for the pick up. Initially the screen deformed to just about one MM before the end of the pickup tube. Then I just hammered out the bottom of the pan. The next photo you can see that its all the clearance I need! So no cutting of the pickup tube. I spun the crank and that clears as well. Rad.
The test fit with the 2M pan went great. The motor just bolts right in! The Pacepooper headers don't clear the frame rail though. Too bad. The stock manifold is really ugly and I didn't want it in my engine bay. Oh well.
In the following pics you can see the 2M mounts, oil pan, and oil cooler sender bolted on to the 7M. Rock out.

p252221_1.jpg

p252221_2.jpg

Not good!
p252221_3.jpg

Much better
p252221_4.jpg

p252221_5.jpg

Fits nice
p252221_6.jpg

p252221_7.jpg

Too bad I am going to have to loose those
p252221_8.jpg

The 3 brothers love engines

sm_photo_missing.jpg

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Looks sweet.....an idea for the stock mani is that you can go to autozone or any advance auto parts store and get some duplicolor heat paint to make the mani look pretty.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Looking great! Very curious about this "oil cooler sender" you speak of though. I don't recall seeing that on my motor. Just checked and no, it's not there! I have a blockoff plate instead. So what's the go with that? I assume it's a bypass of some sort but thought only the turbo's got the cooler.

Can't use the pacesetter eh? If you want to ship the header to Australia, I might be interested!:naughty:

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Yeah my 7M just had a block-off plate. I took the oil cooler sender off the 2M block and it fit perfect.

Ugly stock mani it is. Micky: I might keep the header for a future project. I will let you know though if I decide to sell it.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Well, considering I have a spare stock one, It's not like I needed it anyway. Chances are that it'd foul on my crossmember as well!

Thanks for clearing up the oil cooler stuff guys!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
So today in all wasn't as productive as it could have been. After replacing the rear main seal I got my brother's small torque wrench that does newton-meters. I set it to 13 and began to tighten......hum, that feels like more than just few lbs-ft...... *tink* bolt spins in half. Awesome. Torque wrench is broken.
So after the test fit and everything, we ( my brother and I ) became very distracted by a newly acquired 12 pack of Tecate. A few cans later we decided that we really really wanted a piston. Seriously, we had to have a piston. Guy never came to pick up the old 2M, so it was still in the bushes. Starting from the bottom, we learned that pistons don't come out that way. SO starting again from the top we where pretty much just breaking stuff. Broke the timing cover and the timing chain by savaging it with a breaker bar.
Eventually....we won. The drive way looks like we slaughtered something. The carnage was incredible.

p252404_1.jpg

p252404_2.jpg

p252404_3.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Hhah yeah I know there will be a few people out there very angry with me. Sorry. Its in pieces now that we can handle, and no longer making the neighbors angry that there is a big greasy lump of poo in our driveway bushes.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I think it's funny that your goal was to remove a piston and yet the victory pics are of you holding the crank! If you ask me, the crank's more impressive than the piston anyway!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
HellsLegion said:
That picture is EPIC!

Hahaha epic thats funny.

Micky: Actually thats one of my brothers. I am the funny looking one, the guy with the crank is the handsome one, and the youngest doesn't look like any of us.....!? ( J/k, he is just very baby faced )

The crank is actually pretty impressive. I could not belive how heavy it is! I really didn't know those things weighed that much and still spin up to 5000rpm. Crazy I tell you. Crazy. Never actually taken a motor apart before.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
I am now copying IJ's format for updates ;)

Yesterday

Bolted up the steering box again because I wanted to install my new steering wheel! Its a Nardi Classic 390mm wooden. So beautiful. Not many cars you can get away with have one in, so I just could not pass up the opertunity. I got it off ebay for cheap and its in great condition.
After that I took the beat up front valence and hammered it straight.....ish. I hammered out the creases and dents as best as I could. Then I sanded and painted it. It looks terrible, but terrible in this case is actually a lot better than it was. It still needs to be professionally fixed at a body shop. Not sure when that will happen.

Today!

I got the broken bolt out so I could finish the rear main seal instal. Then I cleaned the oil pan and installed that. Also, I just got my flywheel back from the shop to have it resurfaced. So if all goes well I should be able to get the clutch and transmission bolted up tomorrow. Hopefully, with a little helf from my friends I can get the engine and transmission in the car and leave it there!

I would post pics but my camera is broken :( I don't know what happend but the pics come out as just digital noise now. Don't worry, there will be plenty of photos still. My brothers have cameras that I can use.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
supra90turbo said:
That 7M looks so much better than the 2M... so much better.

Oh man can you belive it? The 2M was such an ugly lump. The 7M, despite the over-engine intake, has always been one of the coolest looking engines IMO. It remindes me of Toyotas early hot motors, like the 18-RG and the I6 engine that came in the 2000GT. Very pretty engines, not cluttered up with electronics and emissions junk.