BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Not much of an update, but something. Yesterday was mostly just cleaning. I took out the battery tray and it is done for. Between two sheets of plastic the tray was mostly just powdered metal and rust flakes. Sounds like a breakfast cereal. Stays crunchy even in milk! ( Ren and Stimpy reference, thank you very much ) So I think I will move the battery to the trunk.
The brake master cylinder had been leaking at some point in its life, and there is a lot of corrosion around it. I haven't taken it off yet, but it looks to be only surface corrosion. I didn't really want to do this because I am lazy, but it looks like I am going to be taking everything out of the engine bay for a more through cleaning and stop rust job. I still have not found anything worse than surface rust, and its all from the battery and BMC. So thats good news.
Test fitted the wheels and it looks really nice. No clearance issues at all with any of the suspension. I didn't think to jack up the suspension arms though, so all I have are these pics of the wheel miles away from the body. Don't think I will be doing fender flares. Probably just a roll for tire clearance.

p240044_1.jpg

p240044_2.jpg

p240044_3.jpg

The old 2M gets no love. We just pushed it into the bushes. Some guy was walking by and said he will take it away for free. I guess he sends them to Guam or someplace and rebuilds them for racing. Cool.

p240044_4.jpg

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
brilliant project! best of luck with it.. whats a corona weigh btw? Cant wait to see and hear you talk about the final product.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I wouldn't doubt it's far less than 3,000lbs...
It may be all steel, but it's a full steel 70's car. It's not an american iron 10,000lb rustbucket, it's a little japanese tin can.
Just look how light 510's are....

I love the way those wheels look already...

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
When I first saw the wheel color in the photos I was a little worried. But now that I see them in person and with the color of the car I am really happy with them! Thanks for the compliments.

Your right, these cars where built so different than the American cars of the day, and any car that came later. I am hoping it weighs under 3K. Once she is done I want to see what kind of trap speeds I can get. I will not be launching hard, or with good tires, and granny shifting. Hopefully I can match a N/A Supra. Reading this thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19015 seems like its not too lofty of a goal.
IJ, did the 160hp version all have the 4M? Man that would be a fun car to drive!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Boso: Not sure which motor I just remember they were very quick and had either twin carbs or triples!

One of our home grown "super cars" back then was an XU1 GTR Torana and the first version had a 186ci pushrod highly tuned I-6 with triple sidedraft carbs that was blisteringly fast for what it was and it had 160hp factory!

LC-3.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Damn that thing is hella rad. Kinda looks like an RX-3 in the back with a Chevy Nova front. Sounds like something to beat up on the Datsun Z cars with!

Just did a quick Google on Torana. Holden is the parent company. Super cool thanks for the new entry into my brain archives!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
They started life as 1.2L 4 cyl Vauxhall Viva's and some brain at Holden decided to shoehorn the 6 into one and a local legend was born!

The XU1's were homologation specials for Bathurst where they had to sell xxx road versions to get them in!

A bit primative but they were very light weight and fast!

In a fit of insanity I dropped a Crower injected 427 Chev into one with a tube frame ;)
torana1a5wn.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Sweet. What is your next project? How about a 1300cc Hyabusa powered Huffy 10spd?
Your crazy man! How fast did that thing go? I LOVE the stacks out the hood.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
LOL dunno never did a full pass in it just played around on the streets ;)

It would wheelstand at will though!

Used to take friends for a ride and watch them just about load their underwear when it pulled the fronts up to about 3>4' off the ground!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Wheelies in a car? Nucking futs. I thought that was pretty much just sport bike territory.

Got a little more done today. Took the whole front end off. Anytime I think there is something I will be able to just leave alone, I kick myself for it and remember that the time is now for cleaning it all up. I was worried about the area around the BMC and CMC but its all good. Just more minor surface rust. Making progress, but still so much work to do! Vacation tomorrow, so no updates until next week.

p241595_1.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Hm not much. I was out of town for a week! I left everything just like you see it in the last photo. Tomorrow I should at least be able to finish painting the engine bay. With any luck, I will be fitting the engine by the end of the week.
Thanks for your interest!