BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
It's rumoured the American Ford CEO drives one but I've never seen proof.

So Boso, how's the build going? Sorry to hijack!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
HellsLegion said:
Aside from Aussie badassmobiles.. How about 72 Coronas with 7M-GE's!

Eh. No updates yet. Hopefully I will get some work done tomorrow. If not, next week will be big time progress because as of right now, I am not working. Its really slow and my boss can't give me any hours. SO summer days for beer and cars.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Well, before I get there I still have to fit the engine WITH the transmission. So thats first. Then I still have the minor issue of the radiator. It was a really tight fit, so I might have to be using a different radaitor and figure out how to mount that up.
As for wiring.....not really. I have looked into it a bit of course. As far as I can tell, I just need to get 12V to the EFI main relay, fuel pump, wire up the starter, and get power back into the Corona body harness. Thats all I can think of now, shouldn't be too hard. I say that now, but I have never done anything like this before!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I'll be watching closely! As previously mentioned, you'll get there before I do and our builds are not all that different - except for the 10+ years between the cars of course. Ok, they're massively different but you get the idea!

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
mickyg said:
Wish I could be there. You know I grew up in your area (San Mateo, Santa Rosa)? Small world!

I have been there a few times. gots some families down in Melbourne and Sydney and goldcoast.
Next trip is this August if all goes well and I would love to come by and meet IJ and any other Supra fanatics out there...

Boso you are pretty close by for the meet....its in San jose this time

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
You be sure to look me up if you come in August! Oh, and it's I as in Ian, not 1! Ian's not terribly fond of the 1J - well not in a barge like the supra, that is!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Yes progress! I have been rather busy with a wedding this weekend. A good family friend got married, and I was an usher along with my two brothers. Great food, and an open bar all weekend. It was a bunch of great people partying in one of the most swank hotels in San Francisco, the Fairmont. We where up on the 23rd floor with a view so awesome it was difficult to comprehend. Did I mention there was lots of alcohol? Oh man lots of alcohol. So yeah, now that I have recovered somewhat, back to cars.

I replaced the timing belt. That took a while. Its easy, but because its so crucial I was fussing over every step. That was part of my day.
After that I was ready for the clutch and transmission to go on. I found out the hardway that autotranny flywheel bolts are a lot shorter than the manual bolts. I was thinking that I would have to order some new ones from Toyota, then I rememberd that the guy I bought the Supra from gave me the bolts I needed. Problem was that two of them where damaged. I am so glad I still had every bolt I took off the 2M, because the flywheel bolts where identical. I am not sure what gussets I used, I had all four from the two engines all mixed up. Anyway, two of them worked and two didn't.
I was determined to get the engine and tranny in today. It was hard work, engines just don't seem to want to come in or out of the MX12 engine bay. Thanks to the transmission being on the engine this time around, I actually had to put wheels on the car and roll it part way out of the garage because the engine hoist boom would not clear the beams in the garage. After much sweat, tears, beer, and blood.....the engine with the transmission is finally in!!!!
So there are some issues with the transmission. It fits fine, but the tranny mount on the W58 is pretty far off where the crossmember goes for the old transmission. Not even sure at all what I am going to do at this point. It may be possible that I use the W58 crossmember and drilling through the floor to bolt it up.
Sorry for the long post! And now for the photos:

p259271_1.jpg

p259271_2.jpg

p259271_3.jpg

p259271_4.jpg

Here you can see the old transmission crossmember in the middle, along with its mount at the top. I sat the W58 mount on the old CM just to see. The W58 crossmember is at the bottom.

p259271_5.jpg

Here is the bottom of the W58 in the car. Its hard to see, but the old crossmember mount in the backround, and where the W58 mount bolts up are in pretty different places.

p259271_6.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Micky: If I where doing a complete tear-down and rebuild of the engine like you, we would be in pretty much the same spot.

Aaron, thanks for the support! Still so much work to do..... but I still like the project!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Looks great! That car looks amazingly awesome peeking out of the garage in the first pic.
The 7M looks so hawt in that car...

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Not too much happened today, but here are a few updates anyway.

Mounted up the ignition coil gismo by using the stock bracket. I used an existing hole and drilled a new one. Easy.

p259993_1.jpg

Then I started with the fuse box but I forgot to bring my computer so no FSM. Needless to say I didn't get very far with that. What a mess.

p259993_2.jpg

Without the FSM for wiring, I turned my attention to the transmission again. It was pretty obvious that the stock W58 tranny mount was going to be of no use what so ever. Its not long enough to bridge the tunnel. Not only that but it would be right where the e-brake cable thingy-ma-bob bolts to the tub. So what I am going to do is cut a relief into the MX12 tranny crossmember, and rest the W58 on it. That will be enough for me to drive it to a shop and have something professional fabbed up.
I had to cut into the tub to make room for the shifter. Once the tranny was able to come all the way up so that it and the engine where level, I could see that the engine actually fits even better. It leveled out gaining some room at the firewall and just looking nicer sitting in the engine bay. Ugly cut, but it will be hidden under the center console.
The good news is the speedo cable for the MX12 fit the W58 with no issues at all. The cable was the perfect lenght and everything. I doubt its going to read right, but we will just have to wait and see.

p259993_3.jpg

p259993_4.jpg

Stupidly, I left the radiator along the foot path that goes by the garage. Someone hit it ( I think with a bike ) and punched a nice hole in it. Fortunately, I have a back up plan. My brother let me have his old radiator from his 1989 240sx. He swapped an SR20DET into the car, and upgraded the radiator. It is much more slim anyway and fits well. Even though its half the width of the MX12 radiator, its longer. I don't think the overall volume is too much less. The 7M fan doesn't fit though, not enough space. Looks like I am going to have to use an electric fan.

p259993_5.jpg

Our own private junkyard. On the side of the house there are now some 12 or so wheels with tires, 2 transmissions, 2 differentials, a disassembled engine, plus misc. driveshafts, pressure plates etc etc...... its pretty funny.

p259993_6.jpg

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
HellsLegion said:
Amazing! Im so excited to see this done

ME TOO!!! haha

Thanks guys

Still not sure when I go back to work. Not working is rad, but not making money sucks. If I am not working again tomorrow, hopefully I can get more done.
The wiring is actually a little intimidating. Seems fairly straight forward, but if I screw it up, the best I can hope for is that nothing happens. The worst is that I change the wire insulation from a solid to a liquid and start a fire in the process.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Boso: You know there are different tops available for our gearboxes don't you? (Different shifter locations)

One rule with the wiring: Don't let the magic smoke out of the electronics ;)

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
IJ. said:
Boso: You know there are different tops available for our gearboxes don't you? (Different shifter locations)

You don't say......

Where can I find info on this? Do you just swap the top or do I have to take apart the transmission to change things? It isn't too late for me to bend that metal back!