Bogwon's 87 7M GTE project

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Grandavi;1916456 said:
You probably already know this, but I figger I will just state it... the screws are phillips to prevent you from stripping the threads. If you know that, then you also know not to overtighten those bolts your going to use. It wont be fun if you pull the thread out... :)

The covers had two different types of bolts when I pulled 'em and most were in bad shape. I decided to get new ones across the board. And I did not know that but it makes sense.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
supraguy@aol;1916475 said:
Well, Driftmotion has bolts as well, but they actually look just like the ones you purchased:
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz2jz7mvalvecoverbolt.php

Somebody else had a kit that included what looked to be beville washers with a rubber underside, but now I can't remember where I saw them. Thought it was DM.

Was it running ok?
You don't have the tps connected.

It was running good as far as I could tell, perhaps you could elaborate on "TPS" and point to it? LOL been studying the pic for about 10 min and still can't find what you're talking about...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The big black rounded sensor on the side of the throttle body, with the blue writing on it.
See the empty socket, just begging for a plug?
It's probably sitting out of sight, underneath it.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
supraguy@aol;1916500 said:
The big black rounded sensor on the side of the throttle body, with the blue writing on it.
See the empty socket, just begging for a plug?
It's probably sitting out of sight, underneath it.

Just got home from work... checking it out right now!

Verdict: yep, sure enough the plug was directly under where it was supposed to be. Strangely enough, it was running just fine last night when I drove it around town for a few minutes. Thanks Supraguy!

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
I've noticed a small coolant leak from the back of the motor area. Does this mean what I think it means (BHG) or is there a coolant connection back there somewhere? The car runs strong and no coolant in the recent oil change also no white smoke from the exhaust... Going to search the TSRM for info...

Edit: LOL first page of the TSRM cooling system section has a huge picture that shows indeed there is the to and from heater lines that are directly in the area where the leak seems to be. I'm thinking I should probably just replace all the coolant hoses since they've probably been on the car for about 173k miles now. DM has a full set for about $130. http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-gates7mcoolanthoseset.php

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yep... very difficult to get through. My EGR had a leak which was cooking the hose behind it. I would take a peek at the EGR as well. Gasket leak on the EGR is not very noticeable without really looking at it. My hose was falling apart as well (the EGR cloth shielded one)

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Toyota/Cooling/Heater_Hoses/7M/7790
Is this the hose you're referring to Grandavi? Also is there a list of acronyms for these cars!? (doing a search as soon as I post this) As a government worker you'd think I'd be used to them...

Doonsuka I think I'm going to take your advice and buy that set of hoses. Does the Mishimoto set include the EGR hose or will I need get that as well?

Edit: Sadly not list of acronyms on the SM forums...

Edit number 2: EGR - exhaust gas recirculation. Thanks google!

Last edited:

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Here's a few pics from yesterday I snapped.

p1917448_1.jpg

It's like Christmas in February!

The old:

p1917448_2.jpg

p1917448_3.jpg

I realized I didn't take any during photos mainly because there was about 25 LBS of dirt that came from the first wheel well and the remaining 3 were just as bad and didn't want to mess up my camera. Here are a few after shots. Still needs some adjustment but much better than the 3" lift kit that was on it before!

p1917448_4.jpg

p1917448_5.jpg

p1917448_6.jpg

p1917448_7.jpg

p1917448_8.jpg

p1917448_9.jpg

p1917448_10.jpg

p1917448_11.jpg

p1917448_12.jpg

The front is a little too low and the rear is just a little too high ride height wise but a decided improvement.

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
Yes it did but that was a couple years ago, so you might want to call them just to double check. Judging buy the picture it still does also. The EGR is the most fun to get to.

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
Car looks great with the coilovers. How do you like the ride? I'm considering those in a couple months.

@Grandavi how do you like your coilovers?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The HSD's I am running took a little to get used to. I have the fronts and rears even at 7/16 and I will be putting the front at 8/16 and the rear at 6/16 now because I find at higher speed on a bumpy road, the car tends to skip while under WOT (goes from one bump to the next with no compression... like skipping a rock over water). Great on cornering and not nearly as "lumber-truck"ish as the Megan coilovers on my 87 I used to have. They aren't quite broken in yet to actually get the wheel alignment done.. (waiting about another month with some driving on them for that). Overall, Im happy. They are worth the investment if you like less body-dip on higher speed corners, but they do take a bit of getting used to if your running very low sidewall tires like my 18's. Not much hook on a wheel like that so in second gear with this suspension, I have trouble holding traction at WOT.

The EGR hose (OEM) is obsolete from my searching.. so I just got rid of the EGR period. (which I can do where I live). Not recommending that though, because there are issues to be considered (a whole other topic), but for me, its an unmonitored system that has failed on 3 of my MK3's so I dont want to worry about it (plus I cant get the replacement part I needed anyway). My cats are gone too though.. but that was more by accident than anything else, because I didn't do the exhaust "planned" like I wanted to have the high flow 3" cat on it. Legal where I live.. so Im not worried about it.

I didnt drop my car as much as the OP did either. I just went 1" lower on all 4 corners. Thinking that is as far as I want to go. (personal preference)

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Right now the ride height is way too low for me and I plan on raising it up at least a half inch maybe more in the front then reassess the rear height. I have the coilovers set on the hardest setting and thought it would be extremely bumpy or harsh but they're actually not too bad as far as driver comfort but again I've had them on the vehicle for less than 24 hours and driven the car twice with them on, my opinion may be subject to change on the matter.

As far as the EGR goes, I'm curious now Grandavi about your EGR-less set up as I'm running a cat-less 3" exhaust as well and it's legal where I live as well. What is the reasoning behind not recommending getting rid of the EGR completely? Also are there any reasons I should keep it now having the cat-less exhaust anyway and how does removing the EGR system affect the engine's performance?

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
Awesome review man! Thanks. I don't have emissions where I live so I just took my cat's off.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Several schools if thought regarding EGR delete. Yeah it does have a cooling effect, however my main reason is because on my 88 it's unmonitored. It's fine without the EGR and if I was worried and heading above 500 rwhp (which I'm not) I would be running water/meth injection. I won't be suffering from no EGR.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Bogwon;1917448 said:
p1917518_1.jpg

The old:

p1917518_2.jpg

I realized I didn't take any during photos mainly because there was about 25 LBS of dirt that came from the first wheel well and the remaining 3 were just as bad and didn't want to mess up my camera. Here are a few after shots. Still needs some adjustment but much better than the 3" lift kit that was on it before!

I'm guessing your during shots would look something like mine:

p1917518_3.jpg

p1917518_4.jpg

;)

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
I'm not saying what's wrong or right, because honestly I don't know. I just know what I've read, and like Gandavi said, if your not looking for copious amounts of power I'm sure it doesn't really matter.

@Supraguy. looks good my man.