Bogwon's 87 7M GTE project

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Indeed, extremely similar minus those fancy cobra brakes and that good looking sway bar linkage! oh and not having 25lbs of dirt! I had enough dirt in my fender wells to plant a garden. Turnips, potatoes, carrots... you name it! Your rears seem to be missing a little hard ware too... like maybe a subframe?

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Ordered the Mishimoto hose set, hopefully they'll be here by the weekend and... aww crap sister's coming to town this weekend! I'll have to wait until next week to start the fun of swapping out the heater hoses...

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Been a couple days since I updated. Ordered a couple things this week... Yellow poly bushings from Ronnie K, a Maxgrip #1 from Weir performance for my LSD and need to order some diff seals now for my diff rebuild. Looks like my coolant hoses for the heater core will be here monday and then I'm going to start replacing all the hose clamps with real ones, the crappy ones that Toyota put on there are sloppy looking I think. Few bucks at home depot or lowes well spent! Pics next week!

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah, i rebuilt my rear suspension with the subframe on the floor.
And i also have the Weir stage 1, and orange ronnie k. Bushings.
Pretty similar builds,h
Eh?

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
supraguy@aol;1919122 said:
Yeah, i rebuilt my rear suspension with the subframe on the floor.
And i also have the Weir stage 1, and orange ronnie k. Bushings.
Pretty similar builds,h
Eh?

I won't lie, I may have drooled over your build threat a few times and gotten some ideas from what you had already done. That being said, I don't plan on rebuilding the engine with your immaculate attention to detail (soooo jelly) but the other things that you've done with your car give me inspiration and motivation to do them to my car and for that sir, I thank you and many of the other builds I've read and gotten ideas from.

Once I get the suspension to where I want it (left to do: sway bars, install bushings, maybe some linkages) I plan on getting some gauges (wideband, boost, egt, oil pressure just to name a few) installed and then play with some tuning. I want to settle around 15-18 psi boost and then just enjoy the car. Clean up the entire car and fix the couple of spots of body damage which I should document here in a future post.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Small update, got some heater coolant hoses installed and it was pretty much what I expected. PITA, especially getting the old return hose off. I still have one hose that I want to swap for a new silicone hose that's leaking towards the rear of the engine on the passenger side. I tightened up the hose clamp that was on it and that seems to have helped, although I still have a feeling I should replace it.

Posting one pic of the hoses pre-install with a couple more to follow shortly.

p1921546_1.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hoses look good.
I'm in the process of installing mine as well. Mine are the generic Ebay silicone full-engine set that a number of people on here have picked up.
So far, they seem to fit nice and tight, and are shaped properly to replace the originals.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
supraguy@aol;1921558 said:
Hoses look good.
I'm in the process of installing mine as well. Mine are the generic Ebay silicone full-engine set that a number of people on here have picked up.
So far, they seem to fit nice and tight, and are shaped properly to replace the originals.

I'm liking the silicone hoses so far and will probably end up replacing all the rest of the coolant hoses at some point but for now only these were leaking.

Speaking of ebay... I was looking at a few items there and came across an intercooler kit with piping and a BOV for around $200 and then went to compare some other prices with driftmotion and a few other sites. Has anyone used the CXracing brand intercooler and have a comment? I'd hate to get a $200 kit then find out that I should have sprung the extra $200 and bought something a bit higher quality.

Next purchase will be a turbo elbow if I can narrow my options down to the right one... also looking at the CX racing elbow on ebay.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I just got the DM intercooler (new, because there are 2 types for 7M there). Will let you know how the install goes. My worry with the 200.00 eBay one is the pipe material. The DM version looks to be pretty sturdy.

Why are you looking at just a turbo elbow? Are you already 3" DP and catback?

Last edited:

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Grandavi;1921692 said:
I just got the DM intercooler (new, because there are 2 types for 7M there). Will let you know how the install goes. My worry with the 200.00 eBay one is the pipe material. The DM version looks to be pretty sturdy.

Why are you looking at just a turbo elbow? Are you already 3" DP and catback?

Thanks, the ebay material is supposed to be 2 millimeters thick and if I'm only pushing 18psi max that should be sufficient right or am I missing something? I can see if I was going to build the engine for 450+ hp then I'd definitely go with the DM setup.

Yes the DP and exhaust are both 3". The PO did those mods without the stock turbo elbow for whatever reason. Now that day light savings is in effect I should have more light after work to actually work on the car so my updates will be more regular.

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
Those hoses are damn sexy
Make sure the ebay kit has bead rolled ends on the tubing. So if you want to turn up the boost blowing off couplings may become an issue if there not. I would try to contact a vendor before purchasing the kit. I ran into an issue buying a DDP off ebay, in that it was the wrong one (the only one they stocked) they took it back but it wasn't without hassle. Quite a few people bought the same one I thought I was buying and loved it. All I'm saying is be super careful when buying items like that off of ebay. Sometimes it's cheaper in the long run to spend a little extra up front. However I can also say there are several people on this forum that have had great success with the CX Kit. Here is one with install pics and tips, http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...g-7MGTE-Intercooler-kit-install-with-pictures. Just be careful when buying on ebay that's all I'm saying. Good luck brother.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
doonsuka;1921772 said:
Those hoses are damn sexy
Make sure the ebay kit has bead rolled ends on the tubing. So if you want to turn up the boost blowing off couplings may become an issue if there not. I would try to contact a vendor before purchasing the kit. I ran into an issue buying a DDP off ebay, in that it was the wrong one (the only one they stocked) they took it back but it wasn't without hassle. Quite a few people bought the same one I thought I was buying and loved it. All I'm saying is be super careful when buying items like that off of ebay. Sometimes it's cheaper in the long run to spend a little extra up front. However I can also say there are several people on this forum that have had great success with the CX Kit. Here is one with install pics and tips, http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...g-7MGTE-Intercooler-kit-install-with-pictures. Just be careful when buying on ebay that's all I'm saying. Good luck brother.

Thanks for the advice and link! The kit that I was looking at did indeed have the rolled ends on the tubing pictured but who knows until you actually get it in the mail right?

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
For sure that's why I say try to find a phone number and ask them about it. If I remember right (someone please correct me if I'm Wrong) there are only like 3 actual manufactures of intercoolers. The rest you just pay for a name to be painted on it, and quality fitment. There is a guy on here, and on azsupracentral.com that installed the new DM kit, and said it to was anything but a straight bolt in affair. Tons of people have had great success with bolt. Mine is a custom with 3" piping, and core. So I can't say which is better, just trying to help you with a little bit of research. I'll be able to put my intercooler, and maft pro in soon. I'll be back in AZ tomorrow, and am going to start looking for a geo metro or some other POS for a daily so I can get all my parts on my Supra.

Your car is coming together nicely, keep up the good work!

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I had an issue with the charge pipe hitting the sway bar. Maybe I have it backwards but that's my experience. The only thing you should have to relocate is the coolant res and the oil cooler. I kept my coolant res in the factory spot using some heat to form it

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
I think the IC and piping deserve a little more research on my end so I'll put that on the back burner for now and just focus on the elbow. Just got home from a drive in the supra and it's running flawlessly! Can't wait to get some gauges installed and play around with the tuning! So many things to do before that happens though.

Thanks for the discussion everyone.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was under the impression I would have to cut the hood latch bar slightly, move the oil cooler and bend the coolant overflow bracket only. I also opted for the genuine hks ssqv4, not the knockoff. I guess we will see what unfolds.

If you read that entire thread, someone posted that as well.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Alright made the decision to get the turbo elbow from ebay. Looks pretty solid and should be a bolt on deal, quick and easy just the way I like it...

While I've got that apart though I will be looking for an elusive exhaust leak that's been with the car since I bought it a little over a year ago.

Decided to wait on the intercooler and hard piping and get some gauges after the elbow as funding allows...

Gauges will include:
-Boost gauge
-EGT gauge
-Wideband
-Oil pressure gauge

I've not sourced any of these gauges yet with the exception of the wideband, had my eye on an AEM uego but even that could possibly change under the right circumstances.

Here is the ebay elbow link if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140587984962