Blown 7M at 19psi on Stock CT26

hammerhead

Sep 10, 2005
Belize
Don't believe me? my setup is listed in my sig. Here's the deal. I'm a noob to motorsports, a wannabe DIY mechanic. I have a really good mechanic friend who helps me out a lot, though..

For a long time I thought my turbo was taking a crap on me, cuz it would boost right up to 14 psi but drop right away to 9 or 10 psi. I was starting to suspect that my fuel pump was not keeping up, cuz if i pulled hard in the lower gears, i felt a power hole (don't know how you call it, but kinda like fuel cut-off, except not completely cut off).

The engine blew in 5th gear, i had the boost controller on scramble, just boosting freely, 120mph... Believe it or not, i remember the turbo gauge holding a steady 1.25 bars... i thought it could only boost 15psi?

anyways, engine still runs, but really really rough, smokes white like a mofo. Can't wait to tear it apart. i suspect the engine ran lean and melted pistons and/or rings..

any thoughts?

CarlosPTR210

Apr 5, 2006
Calexico,CA
www.ptr.com.mx
hammerhead said:
Don't believe me? my setup is listed in my sig. Here's the deal. I'm a noob to motorsports, a wannabe DIY mechanic. I have a really good mechanic friend who helps me out a lot, though..

For a long time I thought my turbo was taking a crap on me, cuz it would boost right up to 14 psi but drop right away to 9 or 10 psi. I was starting to suspect that my fuel pump was not keeping up, cuz if i pulled hard in the lower gears, i felt a power hole (don't know how you call it, but kinda like fuel cut-off, except not completely cut off).

The engine blew in 5th gear, i had the boost controller on scramble, just boosting freely, 120mph... Believe it or not, i remember the turbo gauge holding a steady 1.25 bars... i thought it could only boost 15psi?

anyways, engine still runs, but really really rough, smokes white like a mofo. Can't wait to tear it apart. i suspect the engine ran lean and melted pistons and/or rings..

any thoughts?

Yes a melt piston, why! Because you use a very high quality injectors :nono: , that happens to me also!

Suggestion! RC injectors, Water Injection, Big Turbo and a good tune.

Good Luck!

p818363_1.jpg

p818363_2.jpg

hammerhead

Sep 10, 2005
Belize
I know it was not very smart to run all that boost without a fuel pressure gauge.. I just finished a $4000 rebuild too.. damn..

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Really rough, and smoking white like a mofo... = Blown Head Gasket. Or what MK3Brent said, they are pretty much the same thing.

If you blew the gasket via detonation from running lean, you might have toasted pistons as well. Not that I'm talking from personal experience or anything here...

hammerhead

Sep 10, 2005
Belize
you know i just thought about it... you are right.. white smoke is usually HG... but there is a LOT of blow-off from the crank case.. just spits out oil like crazy.. no bubbling from radiator though.. it happened at night, so i might have the colour confused. too heartbroken, so i just threw the cover over it real nice and parked it.. i had just cleaned it too..

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
I myself have never killed my pistons or anything-*knock on wood* but I'd venture into BHG territory and think it is.

Let me get this straight though: 19psi on a stock ct26? I'm aware of the title but still...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
what are your supporting mods to run that boost? If you are on stock 440s and the stock fuel pump, you fucked up big time.

mk3713

Up for sale
Nov 29, 2005
Houston
Ha, you blew your engine with a ct26. Why were you running so much boost on a stock ct26. At that boost they are very in-efficient. You were probably making more power at about 15 psi. Another thing, I don't see a wideband on your list of mods or afpr.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Yeah... don't believe everything someone tells you... oh and don't believe most of the kids at UTI.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, 19psi will do that. especially on the stock IC system. yikes!

anyway, welcome to SupraMania. i'm sure you'll learn what you need to know here. (and get that car going again)

hammerhead

Sep 10, 2005
Belize
surprised to see so much input here. here. thanks. First off "don't believe me" in the first post was for the 19psi. i myself did not know it was possible. As to 'wtf was i thinking?" your guess is as good as mine.

Rebuild will be slow, but thorough. planning on fully built bottom end. hey, i'll write more later. i'm on a shitty keyboard here.

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
i feel for ya like. just get ya car finnished and it blows. thats gotta hurt. but ct-26 19PSI thats just insane hehe. shoulda upgraded, bigger turbo or just rebuild the CT to a 57"

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Shima said:
i feel for ya like. just get ya car finnished and it blows. thats gotta hurt. but ct-26 19PSI thats just insane hehe. shoulda upgraded, bigger turbo or just rebuild the CT to a 57"

That would be one giant turbo.