Bilstein + Eibach = Bouncy!

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I just installed some new Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs on my 88 Supra and i'm a little dissappointed so far. First impressions are not that great. First of all my stock TEMs were so blown that I could compress them by hand with little effort and they wouldn't un-compress!

So I figured I would install some nice shocks and springs. Choose the Bilstein's because you can lower them a little more. But I think this is whats causing my front end to bounce a little when hitting a small bump. Like entering my garage. It feels like a pogo for a quick instance then stops. Doesn't seem to affect driving to much, but I can still feel it a little.

I'm thinking its because I have them on the lowest setting on the shocks and the fronts have no load on them at all. The spring is floating between the perch and the upper mount. I'm going to raise the setting to the middle and see if that helps.

Here are some before and after. I like the stance!

Before. 4x4 Supra!
img00654.jpg

After. Now I just need to get rid of the Sawblades!
img00718.jpg

img00717.jpg

Last edited:

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Bouncey?? Wow don't get it, mines really stiff, my friend and I were bouncing in thr car and we could just barly get it to move.

JZA7ORBLACK

Nov 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire,England
Does look better i 'm with you on that, i've got s tech tein springs on the bilteins and are set on the top ring just so i had loading on them but it is marginal pressure ,still - think it sits ok ?

Dale jza70r

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I don't think the problem is with the Eibachs. I think its combining them with Bilsteins and putting them on the lowest setting. I'm suprised more people haven't had this issue. I've seen a few threads. But nobody mentioned a solution.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's more than likely because of the lack of preload from being on the lowest setting. The eibachs are progressives that function weird on our cars.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
mkiiichip;1531808 said:
why do they function weird? please explain.

Because our double wishbone suspension geometry already has a progressive design using linear springs.....add a progressive spring on an already mechanical progressive system and you have fubar!

I HATE my eibachs and anybody who says they are great at handleing is either in denial or really has no clue what a nice handling car feels like!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The progressive part of the spring sits collapsed at normal ride height and normal weight. It seems to work much like a helper spring to keep the spring in the perches.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
IJ.;1531711 said:
Did you bleed the shocks fully before putting the springs on?
(run them up/down to full travel)

Your a pretty smart cookie, I talked to the techs at Bilstien about that very same subject they told me "no, they do not need to be bled"

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Typicaly, bounce shows up when there is a mismatch between spring rate, and shock dampening.
I have Illuminas on the front of mine, and had wanted to go to 12kg springs, but it hopped like a rabbit.
10kg springs bounced less.
I ended up with only 8kg springs to get the it to smooth out.

Good thing is that you can send the shocks to Bilstein, and they will revalve them (make them stiffer) for you.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Ok, well I changed the Bilstein's to the middle setting. It definately seemed to help. Still a little bouncy. Highest setting would probably even be better. But I got the Bilstein's for the extra drop!! But now I got a new problem. The upper mount is stripped and I couldn't get the passenger side tightend down right. it gets about halfway and then the whole thing spins! Damn!