BIC DDP + Vibrant Muffler = white smoke on throttle release

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
I installed a BIC DDP and a Vibrant Muffler on my cooleze exhaust and now when I let off the throttle a puff of white smoke comes out. I have read several threads about white smoke and most people say turbo seals...but usually the smoke is discribed as "lots of smoke" or "smoke pumps out the back"...I just have a little bit of smoke. Should I be concerned?

here is a video of the problem

http://s1308.beta.photobucket.com/user/DeMoN2318/media/87 Supra/MVI_1974_zpsc2a8e879.mp4.html

Last edited:

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
IndigoMKII;1908294 said:
Video doesn't work. Valve stem seals normally smoke all the time, especially on start up.

Is your PCV in good condition? No cracked hoses etc etc.

Vid should work now

PCV is all in good condition. I'm thinking it might just be left over residue in the pipes from the JetHot coating I had done...If it continues then its obviously not. But this video is the only time I've run it since the new exhaust, should (hopefully) drive it this weekend since I'm just about done buttoning up the new suspension...

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
valve stem seals leak oil, which would mean blue smoke. not white. do a leak down tester and check the coolant for combustion gasses.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
The video does work now and seeing mostly blue smoke which is oil.

You're revving the absolute piss out of it as well. Do you have oil in your accordian pipe or hotpipe for the IC?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
IndigoMKII;1908627 said:
The video does work now and seeing mostly blue smoke which is oil.

You're revving the absolute piss out of it as well. Do you have oil in your accordian pipe or hotpipe for the IC?

I made sure it was warm and let it idle for a while before reving it...I only reved it to around 5000. I have small traces of oil in the IC pipes before the IC...enough to show a residue but not enough to form a puddle or droplet.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
DeMoN2318;1908638 said:
I made sure it was warm and let it idle for a while before reving it...I only reved it to around 5000. I have small traces of oil in the IC pipes before the IC...enough to show a residue but not enough to form a puddle or droplet.
Pull the IC wash it out with gas and try again.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
If you have oil mist (film) pre turbo that's normal from the PCV extracting exhaust gasses and traces of oil from your crankcase through the valve covers. Have you taken off the downpipe and/or elbow and checked for larger volumes of oil in the piping and on the turbine wheel? It is possible to be leaking out of just the rear seal.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Moy;1908650 said:
If you have oil mist (film) pre turbo that's normal from the PCV extracting exhaust gasses and traces of oil from your crankcase through the valve covers. Have you taken off the downpipe and/or elbow and checked for larger volumes of oil in the piping and on the turbine wheel? It is possible to be leaking out of just the rear seal.

I just changed the downpipe and there was no oil in the one I removed. I did not visually check the turbine wheel (couldnt really see it) but I felt it and spun it by hand and did not have oil on my fingers afterwards

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
super51fan;1908724 said:
Did your new exhaust get rid of your cat. If so your cat was buring the oil so that is why you did not see it before.

Downpipe to muffler is all the same...test pipe and cooleze

It has not been driven in about 9 months...I did start it about once a month to move oil around...could some of the oil seals have taken a set? maybe they will swell back up some when I start to drive it more?

It's a small amount of smoke so I'm not TOO worried about it...just thought it was weird that it started when I installed the new DDP and muffler

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Are you experiencing blow by? Did you clean the IC pipes and check again? You could of had the valve stem seals crack from sitting depending on their age. Does it smoke more when cold than when warm?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
IndigoMKII;1908873 said:
Are you experiencing blow by? Did you clean the IC pipes and check again? You could of had the valve stem seals crack from sitting depending on their age. Does it smoke more when cold than when warm?

I have not checked for blow by yet. It does not smoke at idle when its cold...I didnt rev it when cold though. Seems to only give a puff when I let off the throttle at higher RPMs

Keep in mind that I have only run it in the garage on stands...havent had it on the road yet to check for smoke while driving

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IJ.;1908648 said:
Pull the IC wash it out with gas and try again.

Am I invisible??

More than likely 20+ years of blowby oil sitting in the low point of the IC, you give it a rev to 5K and it's enough to pull some through and cause the smoke,, dunno why you guys always default to the expensive shit to repair without checking the basics first..

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
IJ.;1908933 said:
Am I invisible??

More than likely 20+ years of blowby oil sitting in the low point of the IC, you give it a rev to 5K and it's enough to pull some through and cause the smoke,, dunno why you guys always default to the expensive shit to repair without checking the basics first..

I'd listen to this guy, he's been around the block a few times.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
IJ.;1908933 said:
Am I invisible??

IC is a newer FM and only has 15k miles on it...but I will definitely do this next time I have the IC accessible.

Thanks for all of the advice and info