Better Sound : 7M, 1J, or 2J?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I had always thought that how a motor sounded had more to do with the piston arrangement, timing, intake/filter, exhaust, and muffler/resonators/cats, and any other restrictions (i.e. turbo)... than the design of the head and the bore and stroke.

Would a 2JZ and a 7M with the same exhaust systems would sound similair?

daneyan

Banned
Sep 1, 2005
South Florida
Keros;968424 said:
I had always thought that how a motor sounded had more to do with the piston arrangement, timing, intake/filter, exhaust, and muffler/resonators/cats, and any other restrictions (i.e. turbo)... than the design of the head and the bore and stroke.

Would a 2JZ and a 7M with the same exhaust systems would sound similair?

i think it's all in the head design and what exhaust you're running and the turbo. the reason i say the turbo, is because when i changed my turbo from the 60-1 to the t72 there was a drastic change in the exhaust note and i kept the same exhaust.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Definantly the 7M sounds the best. The 7M has a nice deep exhaust note while the JZ'z sound a little higher pitched- closer to a 4 cylinder. They all sound good though.

My Apex N1 sounded incredible at full throttle when I had no open wastegate.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"i dont know about all you other 7m guys, but when i had my 7m with 3" strait pipe, it sounded like a tractor...i vote jz"

And I've heard a 2JZ with a no mufflers and it sounded a little too close to a supped up honda civic.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
mufflers,tubing size and cats all change the sound of an exhaust but in general i have always lked the way the 7m sounds more then a 1j or 2j

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
never heard a 2jz in person so i will be biased and say i love the sound of my 7m with full, catless 3" HKS exhaust, not overly loud but still has a deep grumble, people mistake my car being cammed all the time.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
MDCmotorsports;968332 said:
7m, tubular manifold, open WG, 4" exhaust straight pipe.

That's not too far off from my next setup. (sitting here waiting to go on my next motor)

Greddy tubular manifold, HKS 50mm wastegate (authentic;)), 3.5" v-band downpipe. :) Will be mated with a GT35r.

I can't wait to hear that!

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
if we are now including v8's

03-04 cobra x pipe, no cats and a loudmouth 2 exhaust with a pulley and intake done>any 2jz.

csolstad

Nov 12, 2005
Clinton, NJ
they all pretty much sound similar with tubular manifolds. though i think the 1J sounds the worst...

although most 2j's have tubular manifolds because of the single swap, with the stock twins they dont sound that remarkable, i think, a lot lower pitched than those with singles.
i think people dont think the 7m sounds that exotic because a lot of people retain the stock manifold when upgrading the turbo...
though with a tubular manifold, 7m's can sound pretty exotic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66dgp-D0YZo
i think thats slow66's car now? shrug
or mibrum's 7m:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEO2f-MOj4U

i think we've yet to see many 7m's built to the level that 2jz's are so its hard to compare them...wish i could get a nice street cruise/flyby of duane's 7m for comparison :)

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
csolstad I remember loving that Maroon car. Almost makes me just want to stay Maroon and get a pair of black/gun metal MKIV wheels. I even like the cut front bumper, and I normally don't..... plus it sounds fan fricking tastic.

Although, I'd still choose a 2JZ for best sound... but hell, they all sound good.

improved

Running!
Apr 4, 2005
California
Ckanderson;968708 said:
if we are now including v8's

03-04 cobra x pipe, no cats and a loudmouth 2 exhaust with a pulley and intake done>any 2jz.

Right car!
Loudmouth is LPT(something like that,) right? That was my favorite sounding exhaust, until my mustang friends showed me a comparison of LPT and Borla.

I was told Ford designed particular parts of the car, outside of the exhaust, to affect the effect of the exhaust note.

My favorite exhaust on the 03-04 Cobra is the Borla Stinger Exhaust with Ypipes and no cats.

I also want the refined exhaust note for my 7M comapred to what is currently available.

Plus, the stock 350Z sounds gorgeous, just needs to be louder.

Matt-

Last edited: