Better Sound : 7M, 1J, or 2J?

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
I've seen vids of all three in mk3's but haven't been able to decide which engine sounds better with aftermarket exhaust installed.
I know sound doesn't matter as much as power, but every little thing counts when I'm tryin to figure out what to drop into my next project.

I figured I'd get people's opinions on this...but if you post a reply with an opinion, try to post proof. Like a link to a vid or something.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
thats like asking what paint color is better.. its personal preference..

IMO nothing sounds better then a big cammed 2jz w/ 4" exhaust

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
tissimo;968249 said:
thats like asking what paint color is better.. its personal preference..

IMO nothing sounds better then a big cammed 2jz w/ 4" exhaust

Thanks!

yeah, I know it's mostly preference. This is why proof in form of a vid would be helpful. I'm also interested in people's opinions cuz many folks here have personal experience that I don't quite have yet.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I seriously hope you're not considering an engine swap based on how it sounds :3d_frown:

googooflexy

Feb 14, 2008
Rock Hill, SC
www.cardomain.com
jdub;968260 said:
I seriously hope you're not considering an engine swap based on how it sounds :3d_frown:

no no no no...lol

it's just part of it. i was already considering the 7mg but i want to know what people think of the other options. and sound is part of my decision, just not all of it.

I prefer the low down rumble of the old boat anchor (7M)
I do too, that's my preference.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I prefer the sound of a 2J I heard with a 3.75" exhaust and stock twins from last Fall's Louisville Supra meet over any I've heard thusfar, Even my full 3" catless exhaust with the RSR GTII.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
7M, but I'm biased. 2JZ can be described in one word: exotic.

I dont know that 7M really sounds "better" than the 2J, but I prefer it. 1J sounds baller too, but I love me my 7M, loud turbo spool down,spool up, external WG dumping, and type S. I didnt choose the type S, but I'm a sucker for its sound. :(