Best Sealant On HKS Stopper???

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I've been searching and reading but couldn't find a thread that exactly addressed this (although much has been said about it).

Which is a better sealant...Disk Brake Quiet or Copper Spray?

I've got a HKS non-coated metal head gasket, my concern is the deck on my block, it's pretty smooth...but not like the mirror finish on my (just machined) head. I've seen plenty of mhg's leak coolant into the cylinders because of a slightly imperfect deck (minor scratches etc.)

What's my best choice of sealant? (I'm staring at the head and gasket sitting on my bench, and am biting my nails and fidgeting...unsure of which sealer to use.):icon_conf

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
none actually.

A GOOD surface is what makes the head gasket work. Not no hodge podged selalant. Think about it this way. You honestly think that the sealant will survive the tempratures that it will be seeing that close in the head? ;)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
figgie;1067559 said:
none actually.

A GOOD surface is what makes the head gasket work. Not no hodge podged selalant. Think about it this way. You honestly think that the sealant will survive the tempratures that it will be seeing that close in the head? ;)

I know...I know...but I can't send the block out right now or I would. I understand what you're saying...you're right...absolutely right.

But given that for now I have to do this... what would you use?

Hommer = 1 vote copper spray

All competent parties please chime in.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
ForcedTorque;1067586 said:
I think if you have got to put it together NOW, the best option would be to save the MHG for a time when you can prep for it correctly.

Agreed...but not an option.

This has been done many times, and as I said my deck is pretty good but not perfect, so I am going to proceed and will post w/ results. I am just trying to get the general consensus for which sealer is likely to yeild the best result...copper or disk brake quiet?

I know some of you guys have used both at one time or another, and I wanted your impressions of which one you had the best results with.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
figgie;1067559 said:
none actually.

I am with Figgie on this. Mine has nothing on it but does seal... ;) (see sig for power output)

Duane

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
upgradedsupra;1067604 said:
I am with Figgie on this. Mine has nothing on it but does seal... ;) (see sig for power output)

Duane

Yeah, but you're only making 814hp:sarcasm:.

I agree wholeheartedly, I'm just a wee bit worried about sealing on the block side (although it looks pretty good, just not mirror finish like the head. My cometic worked well, but I didn't want to surface the deck again.

Arghhhhhhhhh....I can't decide. I guess I could bolt it up w/out sealer and cross my fingers. Worse case scenario...I take it apart again:cry:.

You know...when I was planning this, I looked at the deck and thought "fine", but when I went to re-assemble it I got all nervous nelly and paranoid reading a ton of mhg threads.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've used both, and never had any leakage with either. I'm currently running an HKS with the coatings removed and copper spray on it.

Of course, my surface preps are good enough I could likely put it down naked...

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
suprahabsfan;1067682 said:
Copper.... there was a write up on how bad brake quiet is to use. its a sticky

Yeah...I seem to remember something like that but couldn't find it. Conversely, I know there was a guy over on SF that had pretty good luck with it.

Still staring at workbench...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Even the copper spray is bad...if it has a coating on it.

Are you sure it doesn't have a coating? if it's new it should have a coating of viton on it...

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
suprabad;1067634 said:
Yeah, but you're only making 814hp:sarcasm:.

I agree wholeheartedly, I'm just a wee bit worried about sealing on the block side (although it looks pretty good, just not mirror finish like the head. My cometic worked well, but I didn't want to surface the deck again.

Arghhhhhhhhh....I can't decide. I guess I could bolt it up w/out sealer and cross my fingers. Worse case scenario...I take it apart again:cry:.

You know...when I was planning this, I looked at the deck and thought "fine", but when I went to re-assemble it I got all nervous nelly and paranoid reading a ton of mhg threads.

if you are worried, use a lapping tool to go over both surfaces ;) (that is what Ron and I did. Oh, and we did Nate's block like that too.

Duane

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Although I obviously don't condone this method of squeaking by, I had to do it when I had my motor out. (for reasons I won't get into)

I used Brake Quiet on an UNcoated Cometic MHG. I beat the piss out of the car every time I drove it. Never had any problems.

The flipside of that: It could blow tomorrow if I had the car on the road. It was a chance I was willing to take at the time. I won't do it again, though, as now I have the space to do it properly.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Prefer the copper myself...just make sure all the Viton has been removed from the MHG.