Best oil for the 7mgte

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
jdub;1230819 said:
GC is a specific oil.

For oil filters: Wix, NAPA Gold, or PureOne. I prefer Wix (NAPA Gold is made by Wix) due to the bypass valve design and it is an excellent filter. More info here:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

K&N air filters are crap. #1 - they don't filter worth a damn and #2 - the oil can damage the optical sensor on the Karman Vortex AFM found on the 7M-GTE. An AEM DryFlow is a far better choice.

deabionni - ;)

Jdub you info is great on oil but i wonder if you get the same K@N filter we get in Australia ? I've had great results with the k@n in the past before i started using the apexi and I've read many tests that claimed the filter to be no 1 with filtration but not airflow.? I'm guessing no two filters are the same or some have more oil on them during testing. I agree on the afm issue though, oil filters = dirty honeycomb.
here's a test done in Australia if the link still works.
http://www.australianauto.com.au/HTML/Images/Air Filter Shoot Out.pdf

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The Valvoline "synthetic" is a Grp III oil and is on par with Mobil 1...Pennzoil Platinum is also a Grp II, but the hydrocracking process/add pack used in it's formulation is superior to both. Free is a different matter...I would use Valvoline if I could get it for free...the price is right ;)

Use a good filter though and change it no more than 5K intervals.

Justin727

T-virus infected
O yea for sure! Always used Napa Gold samething as wix but I get those for free as well. Ran nothing but the two combined in my tundra and changed the oil @ 4k always.

Tell ya what tho those motors in those trucks if taken care of properly will last forever. Alot of guys on Tundrasolutions get oil analyst regularly with suprising results between 4-10k oil changes.. Toyota built that V8 right.

But sense it's all free guess I'll stick with it in my camry. But as far as the Supra goes Euro oil will serve it well!

bovvinsuprahiro

Jul 12, 2008
Lincoln, ne
Kangae;1230836 said:
Like the Lexus AFM (not sure what else you could be talking about)? Shouldn't be any difference in oil or oil filter, and if you are asking about air filter, I believe no difference there either (as far as brands).

Yes sorry it was late an AFM

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Wills7MGTE;1231054 said:
I use AMSOIL 10W-30 turbo formulated but I have a BPU 7MGTE in my car, use it once or twice a week for crusing and a lil playing too. I love the stuff

Vs Amsoil ATM 10W-30, give the ASL 5W-30 a try. Virtually identical viscosity's at ops temp with the ASL having a small advantage cold. ;)

mk3tattoos;1231069 said:
mobil 1= spun rod bearings. seen it twice!

I highly doubt the Mobil 1 was the cause. I don't care for that oil, but it will run just fine in a 7M.

Wisco - NP! :)

bovvinsuprahiro

Jul 12, 2008
Lincoln, ne
but about this airfliter thing... I have teh Lexus AFM, Precision FM, Tanabe DP, custom 3" freeflow exhaust to 5Zigen 4in muffler, MBC, Greddy BOV, Custom 2.5 in hard pipes in and out (no 3k pipe either), all new vac lines, hardpipe for intake, just found a 57 trim CT26, so I have been chipping away at it and dont plan to keep it close to stock. The K&N seems to do the job but then again i have nothing to compare it to. So knowing this and my goals with the car I am hearing AEM is where i should be looking towards? Is this correct?

Here is a link to a Facebook pic for mod visual minus the AMF and 57trim CT26

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=40430&id=632133470#/photo.php?pid=913294&id=632133470

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i am using Redline, and filter the oil with a Napa gold filter and a trasko filter. change the filters every 4000 miles and then the oil every 8000-10000 miles.
works great for me so far
-pete

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ That's the way to do it ;)

Pete - you might want to add a Blackstone analysis (including a TBN) to your 4000 mile interval.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
jdub;1231606 said:
^^^ That's the way to do it ;)

Pete - you might want to add a Blackstone analysis (including a TBN) to your 4000 mile interval.

thanks for the praise. im tired of spending a ton of money on oil when i used to change it so frequently. that why i went with the good oil and filtration system. this is why i dont mind spending $12 per quart. especially if i only change the oil about once a year.

whats the turnaround time from when you send a sample in?

-pete