BC 272 Cams with stock rods and pistons?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Im planning a rebuild for a 91 shortblock Im picking up soon and was wondering if 272 cams will be ok with stock pistons and rods. Im only going for 490-520HP but I wanted to keep the valves open longer. My ideal goal is to be able to rev the motor to at least 7200rpms. I will upgrade the valve springs as well, and go with 1mm oversized valves. However will this be all safe with reconditioned parts? Is there anything more I can do to prep the motor for this?

Thanks
~JDMMA70

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
if you get the 500hp, you will be pushing the limits of a stock bottom end, if you are going to spend that money save for a set of eagle rods and probe pistons and go the safe way.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
a_sesshoumaru;1098429 said:
if you get the 500hp, you will be pushing the limits of a stock bottom end, if you are going to spend that money save for a set of eagle rods and probe pistons and go the safe way.

People have gone to 700rwhp on stock rods. Safety insurance is in Eagle rods or better. It's ultimately in the tune.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
a_sesshoumaru;1098429 said:

Yeah, you have to be careful with the stock bottom end. After all it's pretty weak.

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
So your not asking if the cams go with the rods an pistons. You want to know if the rods/pistions can handle 500 hp.? I believe thats an insurance call. Im only shooting for 400 ish and I bought Probe pistions and eagle rods. Whats the WORST that could happen If I decide to Add more power. I Wont have to go into the motor a Second time .

QWIKSTRIKE

Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
White Zombie;1105313 said:
So your not asking if the cams go with the rods an pistons. You want to know if the rods/pistions can handle 500 hp.? I believe thats an insurance call. Im only shooting for 400 ish and I bought Probe pistions and eagle rods. Whats the WORST that could happen If I decide to Add more power. I Wont have to go into the motor a Second time .

The ultimate reason to do this is in case you want to really crank the power over 600-700rwhp. See X-mans sig.DOH

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
alright thanks for the advice ill upgrade rods and pistons and have the rotating assembly balanced. thanks again

~jdmma70

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
JDMMA70;1105499 said:
alright thanks for the advice ill upgrade rods and pistons and have the rotating assembly balanced. thanks again

~jdmma70

If you got .040 over, and do what you are planning on to the head, you are going to hava carbon copy of my entire block/head. (Minus the driftmotion oil tube) LOL

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I guess you guys missed the inside joke that Xman had. He put down over 700rwhp on the stock bottom end and head. The only thing that he had was a HKS HG with ARP's. Like they said before, it's all about the tune of the car. Xman had his car running with over 500rwhp for a long time and made many passes at the strip and dyno.

QWIKSTRIKE

Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
frontierguy25;1107615 said:
I guess you guys missed the inside joke that Xman had. He put down over 700rwhp on the stock bottom end and head. The only thing that he had was a HKS HG with ARP's. Like they said before, it's all about the tune of the car. Xman had his car running with over 500rwhp for a long time and made many passes at the strip and dyno.

Not I......I just can't remember if he broke seb AU's stock bottom end record.

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
As far as I am concerned the limit of the stock short block has yet to be found. X-man is making ridiculous power. My ebay piston'd motor I built 4 years ago is still kicking and I can't even begin to tell you what that thing has gone through. The compression on it is 167-170 on every cylinder as of two weekends ago. HKS or greddy gasket and arp studs should be the only aftermarket parts needed in your rebuild. If your motor blew up you did something wrong in the rebuild or the management end of things.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
joliroger4;1136604 said:
As far as I am concerned the limit of the stock short block has yet to be found. X-man is making ridiculous power. My ebay piston'd motor I built 4 years ago is still kicking and I can't even begin to tell you what that thing has gone through. The compression on it is 167-170 on every cylinder as of two weekends ago. HKS or greddy gasket and arp studs should be the only aftermarket parts needed in your rebuild. If your motor blew up you did something wrong in the rebuild or the management end of things.

Might see if we can't up the limits even more this weekend.

Sean

QWIKSTRIKE

Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
joliroger4;1136604 said:

I agree on this whole heartedly Dave.

QWIKSTRIKE

Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
gaboonviper85;1143406 said:
...so if you use arp hardware then it doesn't matter if you tune or assemble wrong....Fail

Thats correct....poor assembly or piss poor tuning will staill brihg her down to her knees.;)

You need to scrap thse low budget piggy backs and get a real after arket ecu and have it tuned properly.