BAD DAY! MY 1JZ MKIII was stolen and wrecked today!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
SupraMario;1713107 said:
I hope this guy gets life in prison...fucking thieves don't deserve the air they breathe.

I'm still of the opinion that car thieves = horse thieves and should be treated appropriately as to how many horses you have... Piece of rope is a lot cheaper than life behind bars. Or we could always go old testament like Turkey does. Steal something, lose a hand, simple as that.

That said, I'd recommend putting a kill switch that is WELL hidden somewhere that is hooked up to the ignition. ;)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dyck Insurance.. I use Intact for my antique/collectible insurance.. about 8 bucks a month for complete coverage providing I dont drive over 5000 km a year (I rarely top 2000). Susan Blythe is my contact there.. but you need to have an appraisal first to get the insurance.

On a different note... someone stole my amp for my subs in the past 3 days (I dont visit my car daily). Sitting right outside the house.. had my wallet.. tools, stereo faceplate, speaker box.. all in plain view.. and they took the amp. Go figger..
Happy they didnt wreck anything and actually disconnected the wires instead of ripping them out. Left me feeling odd though.. I was driving the car, noticed that I didn't have that beefy bass feel.. looked behind me and... nothing.. lol.
I would be really miffed, except they were courteous enough not to damage anything doing it..

time for an alarm...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Zerocool;1713385 said:
Wow what a shame, its kind of ironic to me as the previous owner of the 1jz had back luck with it as well, I remember the day Eric wreck his 88'...

Wolf or Tambini? I remember Tambini getting in that accident a long time ago...

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
OMG!!! and i thought i was pissed when a 05 monticarlo T-boned me... thats nothing to this... i feel srry for you and your car... i would ask to see this guy that did this and beat the shit out of him... and tell the insurance company to die just for trying to total the supra....

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
What a scumbag.
I hope you get every penny that car is worth, and I hope it comes straight out of that thieves ass.

Im now inspired to have a killswitch and an alarm put in ASAP!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Stickdeath had some good car defense ideas from a few years back, should look them up for a laugh. ;)

Well,
I wanted to give you all an update. Some good news and not so good.
Well about 7-10 days after it was stolen i got the car back at my house. Sadly it was much worse then i had thought. The car had been completely stripped by the jerk. Only a few of his crappy tools were left in the car and a jack. I believe he was planning on stealing the wheels and leaving the car in a field when he was found by a state patrolmen. So that saddened me because my person items, like roller blades and other personal stuff which insurance does not cover is gone.

The good news is that as you know already, he was caught. What is even better is that he is behind bars. He had a few priors, so he was put in jail in may and has spent the last 5 months in county jail. Pretty awesome. Even better is that he is going to stay in jail for quite a bit longer. Tomorrow is the trial. I am required to be there because i am a big part of the case. I am pretty nervous. I never wanted to see this guy face to face. My testimony is going to put him away for probably 4-5 years. Crazy. I received a Subpoena so i don't have a choice.

More decent news. About 2 or 3 months ago my insurance settled with me. They actually were pretty awesome. I have state farm. They paid a independent appraiser to look the case over. I wrote him a big email and created a excel document with costs associate with all of the parts on the car. The parts were just a little over 8k, but i had had the parts for many years. They gave me exactly that for the payment. They added taxes and licensing so it came to just about 8400 bucks. Not too bad. I was very fearful at the beginning. With my personal items and the actual vehicle cost i would say i am out about 11,500. So the felon might cover the difference. We will see over the next few weeks/months.

Well, i just wanted to update everyone. It has been on my mind a lot. Oh, also, they sold back my car with the 1jz and a few car electronics like boost controller for 500 bucks. So i got almost 8k with keeping my car. It has 2 good wheels also :)

Oh, yeah, the accident destroyed the wheel. The impact of landing on the front wheel split it in 2 pieces. He flew something like 160 feet in the air and landed on the front drivers wheel.

Well, wish me luck. I am pretty nervous about going to court. It also sucks because i am going to loose hours at work, like 60-70 bucks. But it will be worth it. I hope this guy just gets some help in jail. His previous crimes were writing back checks to a few local gas stations, i am guessing 2-300 dollars.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
Good luck at the court man and hey better than nothing. Hopefully you can recover your personal items and everything goes good for you.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
grimreaper;1712464 said:
last time i saw something like this on a personal level.. co worker was robbed of a radar detector he bought on craigslist. Guy that sold it to him smashed his truck window and took it back. Happened right after he bought it behind our office. Two days later he delivered a piece of medical equipment to one of our accounts ICU (we work for a medical equipment company). The patient was the guy that robbed him, he'd been shot in the back twice pulling the same smash and grab on another person.. its a short life span once you start fucking society in general! Talk about extreme coincidence!

lol that is a win, dont think he'll be doing that again!

good luck in court!

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
joel903;1768379 said:
Damn, you're lucky to get 8,400. Most mk3s will not get that. Consider yourself lucky.

because most MKIII owners have sucky insurance then... I talked with a few insurance companies and they have the MKIII at about 6500 in value in today's market with low miles and in great shape. Add some aftermarket items, throw that on the insurance and i'm most the certain you will get more then 7K if you have proof of purchase on all items.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes, I consider 6000 the low end for a MKIII even though you can pick them up for less. The reality of the car is that to fix them, you cant do it for a small amount of money. Currently they are severely undervalued on the market to what their actual worth is. As they get rarer, I think that will change. Face it.. unless you want to rebuild the car, you cant find a good once (unless your lucky) for under 6k. And.. that 6k one probably has about 14k+ sunk into it. Good to here you got it all sorted out, but dont feel too much empathy for the guy who took the car. He knew exactly what he was doing all the time he did it. In life, if we didn't have to suffer consequences for the choices we make, we would all be monkeys swinging in trees...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Grandavi;1768447 said:
Yes, I consider 6000 the low end for a MKIII even though you can pick them up for less. The reality of the car is that to fix them, you cant do it for a small amount of money. Currently they are severely undervalued on the market to what their actual worth is. As they get rarer, I think that will change. Face it.. unless you want to rebuild the car, you cant find a good once (unless your lucky) for under 6k. And.. that 6k one probably has about 14k+ sunk into it. Good to here you got it all sorted out, but dont feel too much empathy for the guy who took the car. He knew exactly what he was doing all the time he did it. In life, if we didn't have to suffer consequences for the choices we make, we would all be monkeys swinging in trees...

A lot of good points in that post, but I just want to touch on this one... Why would anyone feel ANY empathy for someone who stole their car? I get that 'crazy guy' twitch in my eye whenever I see someone park a bit too close, or ride their bike a little too close.

Good luck with the court nonsense. Try not to kill the SOB that did it.

te72;1768521 said:
Good luck with the court nonsense. Try not to kill the SOB that did it.
Thank you. Yeah, i have healed a lot since may. I do not hate the guy anymore. I am moving on and looking forward as much as possible. My baby still sits next to my house. I am needing to strip her down, but i am having a very hard time doing it.
I hope this guy gets help he needs. Sadly the criminal system in the US is very broken and rarely do people turn around. I hope he does. It would be nice ot have a good talk with him 10-15 years down the road, but we will see.

One positive note, because he destroyed my car, and i still have not bought a newer MKIV, i just bought my dream house last week. The insurance money plus 6 months of savings gave me the down payment and closing costs. The house in unbelievable(4000k sq feet home, 4 car garage/shop attached to house(with height for a hoist in one bay that is about 35 feet long), beautiful neighborhood, the list goes on and on), so a part of me is a little grateful now that i look back. Still seriously sucks, but i am in a very good place now in my life and it is only going to get better :)