Anyone be interested in a 7mge cold air box ?

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
I've finally got around to it. I mocked up a cardboard set up of the needed supplies and went to welding, grinding and test and tuned it.What I got was my my first cold air box.It fit really well and really modernizes the engine bay.I also used the oem mounting points for the air box to secure it down.

heres how its set up:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

- The side walls are two pieces of steel (18gauge)
welded together and smoothed down.
- The side closest to the intake piping has a 3" hole to slide the conical air filter in.
- The top is clear Plexiglass.
- The Plexiglass is sealed and screwed down to the metal tabs I welded on.
- I can an get adapter for the maf and 3" K & N conical air filter at a reasonable price as well if youre interested.

I sent mine out this morning to be ceramic coated so it'd have even more heat sink resistance.
If there is any real interest i'll post some pics and prices.
If not, I guess i'm just showboating my new mod. =]

Last edited:

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
It would be awesome to get cold air box like that but i have a bad feeling that ill have most of my funds going to a rebuild of my motor instead, i got 240,000km on everything stock including headgasket... Not looking good

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Chambers;1664658 said:
Yea but you can't see your shiny new air filter with that one!:naughty:

But the plastic stays much cooler than a metal box does, especially right near the exhaust. Function>form

Be a much better idea if the aforementioned box was a composite material, fiberglass, CF, etc... as with a metal box my guess would be that intake temps would actually rise in comparison to the stock box.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
Negative..This may be true if it were bare metal But Im having mine ceramic coated inside and out.
(Which was stated earlier)I had this same set up on a `89 Celica st-162..Its exhaust is just as
close as ours is on the 7mge.I took temp readings of the ceramic box compared to plastic and
the ceramic box was cooler and looked more professional as well.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I think there is such thing as "reflective heat wrap" which is supposed to keep out the heat really well, and it doesn't cost much. Sure, it won't look as good but it probably does a better job than Ceramic Coating does. Function > Form :)

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
Chambers:
yes the hemholtz resonator will stay, It is an important part of the intake system.
Sorry didnt draw it in.

Ma70.Ent:
I respect you and the job and info you have on this board but i have to disagree, If reflective heat wrap is so good...Why do ppl have their headers ceramic coated and not just wrap it? DEI makes it and it is cheap, Ive used it..The reason they don't is Because condensation gets under the wrap and causes the metal to rust and eat itself away.Like I said..I know. and its ugly, especially after 6 months of usage.

shaeff:
yes the stock factory air box is a form of cold air induction but. . .
Why do we use conical air filters..lets see, To increase air flow.

drop in fram type paper lid filter = 250cfm
cheap ebay air filter = 319cfm
3" x 9" Conical K & N air filter = 881 cfm

http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm#RESULTS

go about halfway down.

And I'm sure someone will say this next...Well the 7mge doesn't need that much air flow.Yea well it doesn't need a ton but what if its maximum cfm was say 650 and all you're getting from your stock air box with a paper filter is the restrictive 250 of air.You're losing more than half your air flow with an already low hp engine connected to to pig of a car.Even the throw away ebay conical air filter only gives you 79 more cfm than stock.From stock to the K & N its a 631 cfm difference.I've done my research and I know this mod gives you hp.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Ceramic coating isn't a bad idea, but wrap is cheaper, easier, and more accessible than the coating. Also, if you make the box out of aluminum, it'll be lightweight and won't rust, but the idea in general isn't bad.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
Yea I thought about the aluminum idea but its so expensive and it was my first throw at it so I didnt want to waste money.
But that is a good idea if this idea picks up some interest.On the wrap deal..I agree it is cheaper but that stuff just looks tacky especially after it ages a bit...and ceramic coat polishes up very nicely.I'd just rather do it right the first time rather than the 2nd time around.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
slow_yota;1665151 said:
Chambers:
yes the hemholtz resonator will stay, It is an important part of the intake system.

Well, not really, it's for sound control, but what ever.

slow_yota;1665151 said:
And I'm sure someone will say this next...Well the 7mge doesn't need that much air flow.Yea well it doesn't need a ton but what if its maximum cfm was say 650 and all you're getting from your stock air box with a paper filter is the restrictive 250 of air.You're losing more than half your air flow with an already low hp engine connected to to pig of a car.Even the throw away ebay conical air filter only gives you 79 more cfm than stock.From stock to the K & N its a 631 cfm difference.I've done my research and I know this mod gives you hp.

Any restriction, no matter how little, reduces the amount of air flow.
So your on target there.

Have you checked on what the ceramic coating is going to cost?
Having just 6 pistons coated is in the hundreads.

Alternate to think about is the adheasive backed foil/ceramic cloth heat bairier stuff made by CoolTec & DEI.
Easy to cut, keeps it's good looks onless you don't maintain your engine bay, and not too expensive.
I've got it on my firewall, and it's been there for a couple of years, and engine swaps.
Or just powder coat it, and leave the insulating to the buyer.
Hell, maybe they want to go to the more expensive Gold foil, for the bling effect.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
on the hemholtz it does reduce sound, This is what our super mod ma70.ent said

"Intake- The stock intake in itself is a good flowing cold air intake, and the helmholtz resonator (intake resonator) is actually good for performance and should not be removed. The only thing that should be removed is the accordion section, and it should be replaced by something such as an aluminum pipe. This will get your engine breathing better due to smooth flow. Also if you decide to change out the stock filter, go for an AEM DryFlo as those are currently the best filters on the market because they offer good flow AND filtering."

I have a hook uo, Local guy that is very cool about prices.
Charged me $100 to ceramic coat my obx long tube header for the 7mge, valve covers and intake mani.
I don't know what he will charge me when I go pick it up, He just gave me such a good deal last time..I wasn't too worried.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
slow_yota;1665571 said:
on the hemholtz it does reduce sound, This is what our super mod ma70.ent said

"Intake- The stock intake in itself is a good flowing cold air intake, and the helmholtz resonator (intake resonator) is actually good for performance and should not be removed. The only thing that should be removed is the accordion section, and it should be replaced by something such as an aluminum pipe. This will get your engine breathing better due to smooth flow. Also if you decide to change out the stock filter, go for an AEM DryFlo as those are currently the best filters on the market because they offer good flow AND filtering."

Okay well, to clarify the Helmholtz resonator thing, according to theory, they are tuned for a certain frequency and they cancel out the oscillations from the airflow. This reduces the sound and reduces the turbulence in a way, which means it doesn't really impose a restriction and in some cases, it helps with airflow.

I remember there is more to it as well, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.