Annoying Window Rattle

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
I replaced the window stop with felts with new ones. When the window is halfway up, it has a lot of play side to side. Also when you are driving, the glass would go side to side when the air goes thru it. Fully down and fully up it would close with no problem, but when glass is halfway, the glass would rattle and feels like it would break.

I checked all the bolts and tightened them. Is there any other places I am missing? Or will I need new window regulators?

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
reydio;1386545 said:
I replaced the window stop with felts with new ones. When the window is halfway up, it has a lot of play side to side. Also when you are driving, the glass would go side to side when the air goes thru it. Fully down and fully up it would close with no problem, but when glass is halfway, the glass would rattle and feels like it would break.

I checked all the bolts and tightened them. Is there any other places I am missing? Or will I need new window regulators?

+1
I have this same issue.. very Annoying Indeed... :-l

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
+2 never got around to fixing it ;)

A bud here has a virgin car that's never had a door trim off so one day I'll take a good look at his and work out what's missing from mine.

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
IJ.;1386591 said:
+2 never got around to fixing it ;)

A bud here has a virgin car that's never had a door trim off so one day I'll take a good look at his and work out what's missing from mine.

Thanks IJ,
Last resort is for me to pull the regulators out and see what's going on. But I'll wait for you, LOL.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
IJ.;1386688 said:
LMAO don't wait for me mine's been rattly for 12 years now :D

Oh darn, that's not the answer I was expecting! lol...

Mine's got a wobbly half way but not 3/4 or 1/4 height.

I"ll probably look into it one day too when I feel like taking apart the door trim :)

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
IJ.;1386688 said:
LMAO don't wait for me mine's been rattly for 12 years now :D

ROLF!!! OMG!! I guess I will have to look at it when I install my new speakers. I noticed on my CRX it has a track at the rear to support the glass when it goes up and down. But on the Supra I don't see one. It would be nice to have a quiet door close without the rattle.

Bock

CNDBOOST
Jun 7, 2008
Ottawa
I had the same problem ratteled like a mutha 3/4 and 1/2 up !! But I tightened the window chanles up , and got new weather striping ( mine was leaking close to the mirror ) since then it only has a slight rattle just past 3/4 up!
What cha gonna do ? :nono:

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
funny, I'll be honest with you guys, I only drive with the window fully up or down on all 3 Supras and have NEVER driven with them halfway, 1/3 or 1/3 up..

I'll try it out this week and report results, hahah..

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
RazoE;1387477 said:
funny, I'll be honest with you guys, I only drive with the window fully up or down on all 3 Supras and have NEVER driven with them halfway, 1/3 or 1/3 up..

I'll try it out this week and report results, hahah..

LOL, I guess a lot of people have this problem but just don't have the time to fix it. I will take a closer look maybe next month and see what needs to be done. It's the closing of the door when the glass is halfway that's irritating, you can hear the window rattle when you close the door. I keep on telling my kids to be gentle when closing the doors when the window is halfway, no slamming them suckers.:nono:

zoppii

Pro Lurker
May 21, 2007
Palm Harbor
Another check point for you guys if you didn't already know. It'll save you bunch of time and aggravation if you didn't.
I just did mine and found after I replaced my felt window stops, bumpers, greased all the window tracks and aligned like crazy that although quieter, the window was still making a crack sound when shutting the door. It sounded like the window was going to break. It was still driving me crazy so I kept at it and later found that there is a little round plastic piece on the front bottom of the glass. I thought it was just a stopper but if you look real close at the function, it's mainly a vibration dampener. If you take the bolt out of it and remove it from the window you'll find there is a piece of felt on the back side of it. The felt that was there had shifted a bit and was flat and hard as a rock. The bolt wasn't very tight either because the felt had degraded so much. Once I replace the felt and bolted the dampener down against the window firmly, the noise was gone. This actually helped more than all the bumpers and other stuff I did.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
check yer window regulator, over time the pivot points bend, get worn out, etc. slop will develop and play will be transmitted to the glass.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
it's the regulator. There's a pin whre the tracks cross that has a plastic bushing. When it wears out, all kinds of slop is introduced and the window slaps back and worth.

Try this: roll the window half way down. Grab the top of the window and lift on it, and then try to push it towards the fron of the car. Any play more than a 1/8" - 1/4" means the bushing is worn out or missing all together.

Replace the bushing, the felt, weather striping and the window guide roller to repair, about $200 total to do it....

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
rakkasan;1388652 said:
it's the regulator. There's a pin whre the tracks cross that has a plastic bushing. When it wears out, all kinds of slop is introduced and the window slaps back and worth.

Try this: roll the window half way down. Grab the top of the window and lift on it, and then try to push it towards the fron of the car. Any play more than a 1/8" - 1/4" means the bushing is worn out or missing all together.

Replace the bushing, the felt, weather striping and the window guide roller to repair, about $200 total to do it....

Sounds like the issue with mine as well, but $200 to fix? Which is the most expensive piece and are there ANY other options/alternatives?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Satan;1388730 said:
Sounds like the issue with mine as well, but $200 to fix? Which is the most expensive piece and are there ANY other options/alternatives?

I'll have to go back thru my reciepts, but I'm pretty sure is was just below $200, but that was for both doors, all the pieces to rebuild the regulator and everything that comes in contact with the window itself....

If your bushings are still somewhat intact, you might be able to source them locally for less. Mine weren't, so I bought new. I talked to Jeff at Champion about it and he came up with the list of parts needed, but I will get a list of parts nos and prices when I find the reciept.

Now I have to actually install them :sarcasm:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
rakkasan;1389071 said:
I'll have to go back thru my reciepts, but I'm pretty sure is was just below $200, but that was for both doors, all the pieces to rebuild the regulator and everything that comes in contact with the window itself....

If your bushings are still somewhat intact, you might be able to source them locally for less. Mine weren't, so I bought new. I talked to Jeff at Champion about it and he came up with the list of parts needed, but I will get a list of parts nos and prices when I find the reciept.
Now I have to actually install them :sarcasm:

Would be very helpful Mark thanks!

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
LMAO wow !! THere are PLENTY supras With this problem i see.. And so far the best solution is all the way down or all the way up ! lmao xD