Am I asking too much?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Link doesn't work.

But it's your car so you can ask what ever you want. Plus with cl you will always get low ballers.

1Jzed

Dec 3, 2013
Seattle
link is fixed, man I just got this thing... and a month later my advisor calls me and says that a spring seat is open...I get to finish school 2 months early and help out my family sports car can wait.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Price seems about right for the forums, but won't be a quick sale on craigslist for that amount. You would need to ask around $6500 and then that will make people think they could low-ball you $5k. Which would be giving it away. Honestly, I think that oxblood interior is what's hurting you the most unfortunately. The first thing I did was a color change on mine.

First thing first is list it's current running state and power figures. Then say how the 1jz VVTI was not a US offered engine for this platform. Many cl lookers may think that's just a stock engine. Hell, it wouldn't hurt to list which trucks you'd take for it in trade.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
honestly, i think that's what a really clean mk3 should be worth; especially with that motor in it. everyone tries to lowball the good ones, yet i see people asking $5000 for rusted na's.

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
I clicked the link thinking garbage but honestly thats a very nice car. IMO worth the asking price.

I would emphasize the rarity of the engine. Is it R154? new water pump, clutch, paint condition, hardtop (good to me), gear ratio blah blah blah whatever is a highlight

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I think your asking price is good, maybe even a little low, but I think different than most people with MK3's. If I were you I would wash the car, wax it, put some tire shine on, clean up the interior as much as possible (take out the jumper cables), and take the car somewhere and take some real nice pictures of it and the motor. Don't take them in your driveway after the car is still wet, this makes me think that the car only looks good when wet and looks a little lazy to me (not that you did this).

I think the car is really clean, and your craigslist ad is better than most I see. After you take some pictures of the car all prettied up, you could make an ebay ad as well. You will get a lot more exposure this way. Then make a nice written part of the ad, giving a little history of the car, motor, transmission, and suspension even. Mention the power the motor has, I would think it has a good amount with the bolt on's that you have. Basically you want to sell the car to potential buyers with good pictures, and a good write-up on it. Fair or not, I judge the car a lot based on the ad. Just some food for thought.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
i put a feeler ad for my 1jz supra a couple months back. mine doesn't have near as nice paint or interior. i started asking 7k then dropped it to 6500. in the six or so weeks it was up i only got two replies. neither came to see the car. i'm in NM btw which probably has a lot to do with it.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
The jumper cables in trunk makes me think you have problems. I don't see a battery hold down. Those are two things I see and would be concerned about. I do like maroon leather but not cloth.

I do agree that a better clean up would not hurt.

Saying that your body looks nice and straight. Even the moldings look good. The swap looks like it was nicely done. I don't think someone could have a clean car and get the swap done for less.

I thinks it is about time nice clean MKIII's start bringing the money they should. However I see a lot of people on these sites talk about overpriced cars. IE: some 92 cream puff super clean all oem and asking $10 -12k. Or a clean older 120k miles for $5 or 6K. All they do is lower the value of their own cars. Then they buy a $2000 POS and never get them to run or drive right and talk about junk supras. IMO Good luck I think you are in the ball park.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Big issue is that it's not a super desirable color combo, and the seats look a bit faded.

Doesn't help the market for cars is crap these days...

1JZ is also a no-go for many people.

757_supra

Ich bin das boost!
Mar 3, 2012
US
Price is very fair, hard to get them this clean for less. Hopefully you're not in to much of a hurry to sell. But like they're saying, detail the heck out of it, post new pics and explain in detail why it's worth the asking price. I like it a lot. Good luck.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
good luck on sell. price seems good and agree could be even higher but market wont let you to make more $$$ because of ppl that doesnt know true value for supras and them making adverts for cheap witch makes your car ''too expensive''.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
For that price, I think you need a better ad with more details. Better, clean pics. Even if the car is worth it to us, it's still a late 80's Toyota that you're asking 8g for, so I'd make sure to spend the time to create a quality ad and the best pics possible. I'd also advertise it to a larger market using either Autotrader or Ebay to get more exposure then what you're seeing with local traffic on Craigslist. The car is unique enough where I think you want a larger market more willing to travel and pay for shipping for the particular car that they're looking for.

Otherwise, as far as the car itself, a few things mentioned above as far as the jumper cables, no fan shroud, and no battery tie down.. Little details like that would make me concerned about other things missing or not maintained. You really want to represent the car in it's best light.

As far as an enthusiast, (IMO) pre 89 doesn't help and the burgundy/ox blood interior are detractors. Wheels are nice for sure, but 17" fronts don't help.

To me, the VVTi is a huge up, but you're not including any details about it as far as factory HP, aftermarket support, newer engine/technology.

GL!
Kevin

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Jumper cables: bad
Missing tie down for battery: bad
Missing tie down for battery in the cabin: really bad
Missing fan shroud: bad
Engine bay shot: meh

Up your ad/photo quality, remove the cables and for fucks sake please get a tie down on that 60 lb death missile of a battery in the hatch...

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I've been admiring it on CL while I've been browsing. I'd keep the price where it's at. Like everyone else said, a proper bolted down battery box and a fan shroud and it would be perfect.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think that's a good low price (in my estimation), however.. I'm not sure about the market/availability in your area. I find that most Supra owners undervalue their cars and are really impatient. Most don't think their car is worth anything which confuses the hell out of me. The engine + trany is worth 2300 min. in good shape WITHOUT being installed... then.. the wheels.

I am not a fan of a battery that can put gases into a passenger compartment, but that's the only thing that would drive me away from the car. I've had one blow up.. so wouldn't touch your car the way it sits... they are pretty damn explosive. (although very rare that happens)

Super clean engine bay from what I can see though... looks well built.

toyMKIII

cars and guitars
Jun 20, 2012
Philadelphia
I'd get something to secure your battery and a fan shroud. With that said, your car looks to be clean overall. I also wouldn't waste my time with changing up the interior as a previous poster wrote; the interiors in our cars (I have the same color combo as you) are really just not photogenic- they look more faded than they are. People will be pleasantly surprised to see how much nicer in person it is when you meet with them.

Fair price I think.
Good luck on the sale!