accusump??

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes there are a few people running them.

Ij had one on his 7m and I believe jdub uses one as well.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ran one on the last 3 cars, good insurance.

lsx134.jpg

reassembly02.jpg

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Nice... yeah my dad surprised me with this... I was a little on the fence but with drifting and handling in mind it makes sense. So now I will have a windage tray, crank scraper, and an accusump lol
sm_photo_missing.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mk2 supra;1894755 said:
Nice... yeah my dad surprised me with this... I was a little on the fence but with drifting and handling in mind it makes sense. So now I will have a windage tray, crank scraper, and an accusump lol
That's pretty sweet sounding of a setup, and the Mk2 is a fun car to slide around (mine is the winter DD on occasion), but I have one suggestion: Make sure you run more oil than what the owner manual says to run. 6.5 quarts should be about right, as a base level. Add accordingly for additions like oil coolers, the accusump, etc...

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
te72;1895814 said:
That's pretty sweet sounding of a setup, and the Mk2 is a fun car to slide around (mine is the winter DD on occasion), but I have one suggestion: Make sure you run more oil than what the owner manual says to run. 6.5 quarts should be about right, as a base level. Add accordingly for additions like oil coolers, the accusump, etc...

Good to know thanks... this accusump is 2 qts so itll have a good reserve... I was just discussing that the 7m seems to take a bit to get oil pressure when you crank it, cause the gears are above the oil level... I bet with the 6.5 qts it would have them submerged is why it would work better...and yes car is awesome to slide in... I only had 150 whp when I drove it before so didnt get too crazy but you can definitely throw her around... =)
p1897437_1.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
The +1Qt thing is to ensure there is always some Oil in there as 7M's tend to use a bit when pushed hard, all it takes is to uncover the pickup through slosh once under power and the engine is toast, the accumulator is cheap reliable insurance :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1897698 said:
The +1Qt thing is to ensure there is always some Oil in there as 7M's tend to use a bit when pushed hard, all it takes is to uncover the pickup through slosh once under power and the engine is toast, the accumulator is cheap reliable insurance :)
IJ, in your ventures, have you ever looked into the JZ engines in that regard? I run more oil simply out of an old 7m habit haha. Even still, will probably end up doing one of these Accusump setups eventually.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
te72;1897763 said:
IJ, in your ventures, have you ever looked into the JZ engines in that regard? I run more oil simply out of an old 7m habit haha. Even still, will probably end up doing one of these Accusump setups eventually.
I imagine the same would apply to a JZ and +1 Qt will be no where near the crank. (7m took at least 9qt's to get close)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1897856 said:
I imagine the same would apply to a JZ and +1 Qt will be no where near the crank. (7m took at least 9qt's to get close)
Good to know sir. That probably explains why my car never seems to budge on oil level until after I've run with somebody seriously... So, let me get this straight, about the accusump. If your car detects low oil pressure, even briefly, the accumulator dumps it's reserve into the pan immediately, and fills itself back up after time?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I run my accumulator "Open" at all times, you give the engine a rev pressure goes up the accumulator builds more pressure you back off the accumulator returns that pressure to the engine and so on constantly, big benefit is if say you corner/brake ahrd and uncover the pickup and the pump get s a gulp of air normally you'd get 0 pressure for a split second and the Crank would touch the bearings and knock shortly after, with the accumulator this can't happen as it fills the hole left by the 0 pressure event saving the engine.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1898253 said:
I run my accumulator "Open" at all times, you give the engine a rev pressure goes up the accumulator builds more pressure you back off the accumulator returns that pressure to the engine and so on constantly, big benefit is if say you corner/brake ahrd and uncover the pickup and the pump get s a gulp of air normally you'd get 0 pressure for a split second and the Crank would touch the bearings and knock shortly after, with the accumulator this can't happen as it fills the hole left by the 0 pressure event saving the engine.
That sounds like a very real concern for my style of driving up in the mountains. I remember the 1j's oil pan being nicely baffled, but it never hurts to overkill something. Thanks for the clarification Ian. :)

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Definitely need to make sure I have the pressure valve set up right. Is it just a replacement for a manual valve, essentially the same thing that can be remotely actuated? I dont have the brass fitting and pressure solenoid valve attachment pictured on their website listing. I'm assuming that is something that I'm going to need to grab before installing for it to kick in during low pressure events...is that correct? Or is that a bit of an issue with a low pressure high volume system like the 7M's?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yep replaces the manual valve, as I posted earlier I don't bother with it and just run the accumulator open all the time so it's an on demand system, pressure drops the accumulator pumps into the main gallery pressure builds it pumps back into the accumulator, in my opinion unless you have some way to monitor oil pressure accurately and open the valve under a set of conditions the electric valve is useless and quite restrictive.