A fast spool turbo for a 1JZ

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Dylan JZ;1886188 said:
Well, first of all, I would suggest going with Garrett, Borg Warner, Turbonetics, or Comp before ever considering Precision because I have been enlightened in regards to their QC/design.. I do not feel they are very good turbos at all anymore. At one point in time they were, so don't get me wrong, but times change and so do companies.. I originally had my mind set of a 6262 with .68 T4 (best combo for that turbo on a 1J IMO) but went with BW S300 83-75 (aka S360) instead after doing a lot of research and speaking with those in the turbo rebuilding/engineering industry.

Anyhow, whether you take that advice is up to you. That being said, I am unsure as to how the v-band flows. Now, it is a cool idea to be able to quickly add or remove the turbo, but honestly the 4 bolts don't really bother me; the v-band for downpipes is another story haha. Maybe some others have more knowledge with that and can chime in.

Tial's housings for the Garrett line seem to follow the traditional OE sizing of the T3 flanges they have, so if that's true with the Precision too, then the .83 is going to be the one you're after.

im not headstrong on the 6262 or anything i have a buddy with one on his 2jz and is in love with how it performs. but hes had it for acouple years and could be before they skimped on QC like you say. and the price isnt bad, thats why i was considering one

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
yeah, it happens.

the price for the Borg Warner S362 FMW, which is the turbo most comparable to the the 6262 billet (journal bearing) is $1149, and it's built like a tank.. if you don't care about the billet wheels, then you can get an S360(83-75) or S363(88-75) for a little over $700 new. there are also the other brands as well, I just haven't kept up with the various models and pricing as much.

GL though!

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Dylan JZ;1886205 said:
yeah, it happens.

the price for the Borg Warner S362 FMW, which is the turbo most comparable to the the 6262 billet (journal bearing) is $1149, and it's built like a tank.. if you don't care about the billet wheels, then you can get an S360(83-75) or S363(88-75) for a little over $700 new. there are also the other brands as well, I just haven't kept up with the various models and pricing as much.

GL though!

billet wheels and dbb is a must lol, back to shopping i go, thanks for the info!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Personally, I think a V-band turbo would be awesome for two reasons:

-No gasket, less chance of exhaust leaks at the manifold-turbo point.
-Rotate turbo for optimum clearance/piping route? Awesome...

However, the one I have has a standard T4, so I'll just run with it. Hopefully never have to replace the gasket in a hurry for any reason. Finding things like that around here (or people who even know what they are) is trickier than you would think.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Got my mind set on one... Garretts New gtx3582r with tials .82 a/r v band housing. (jizz) now for drifts 60-1 to blow up. As it will, my meth is spraying amazing and I CRANKED the boost up ;)

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Turbo Habanero;1885850 said:
So you think the 30R can't reach 450whp with t4 .63? maybe just a tad bigger .68 if needed
Not a chance in hell..

I ran one way back, choked badly above 5000 rpm.

Also T3/T4 makes NO difference as the Nozzle is still the same size in both just the flange is different.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Dang, didnt see this thread earlier.

From the research and compressor maps I've looked at, I've always been inclined towards a 35R. I think a 60mm-62mm turbo is pretty much the sweet spot for our cars. Lately it seems the Borg turbos have been plenty more popular (S360, S362, S366) and very stout, so I'm sold on their design.

Regardless, I personally still prefer a water cooled turbo and it seems billet wheeled turbos are just better in every way. I'm personally opting for an EFR when I upgrade since it's water cooled, has a billet wheel and the newest designs, and is even ball bearing. I would go for a V-band footprint if I wasnt so dead set on running a QSV, so EFR it is.

EFRs have all sorts of fancy extras too; most of them have a decent internal wastegate built in, they all have a Gamma-Ti turbine, built in BPV, ceramic ball bearings, and even an option for fancy things like turbo speed sensors. yeah, it's mostly gimmicky, but EFR stands for Engineered For Race and theyve had superb results with the redesigned turbine side

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
usazusuq.jpg

Ya.. jizz worthy ain't it.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

THMotorsports

Orion ZyGarian;1886549 said:
Dang, didnt see this thread earlier.

From the research and compressor maps I've looked at, I've always been inclined towards a 35R. I think a 60mm-62mm turbo is pretty much the sweet spot for our cars. Lately it seems the Borg turbos have been plenty more popular (S360, S362, S366) and very stout, so I'm sold on their design.

Regardless, I personally still prefer a water cooled turbo and it seems billet wheeled turbos are just better in every way. I'm personally opting for an EFR when I upgrade since it's water cooled, has a billet wheel and the newest designs, and is even ball bearing. I would go for a V-band footprint if I wasnt so dead set on running a QSV, so EFR it is.

EFRs have all sorts of fancy extras too; most of them have a decent internal wastegate built in, they all have a Gamma-Ti turbine, built in BPV, ceramic ball bearings, and even an option for fancy things like turbo speed sensors. yeah, it's mostly gimmicky, but EFR stands for Engineered For Race and theyve had superb results with the redesigned turbine side

I vote for EFR + QSV .... i have yet to see it and I think FullRaceGeoff would flip out. LoL.