92nsx's supra build

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
92nsx;1713256 said:
Once again not much done to the sup, rather more garage work.

This week was sad to hear a long time supra owner is finally getting out of the game. Pretty much all electronics including the M800 is already sold. Sean is probably happy to hear :(

Floor half done. Now to let it cure and move shit around and do the other side, and paint the block

p1713405_1.jpg

p1713405_2.jpg

toyotanos;1713338 said:
Sad indeed, but I don't think Sean would be happy.
Perhaps he will go the Sean route and just buy a stock car that runs? I think that would be cool- kinda like picking up from where he left off (when it went down during his college time)

That is too bad, No real hard feelings here.
My "stock" supra is amazing, it even runs and drives. The built engine and MHG and ARPS and ACT clutch was a nice touch, and now the 3.5" exhaust is all FTW!

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Yep, but had to use loctite to keep the 2 cables from un-screwing. That is about all I have done this summer besides drive it. Guessing I put on at least 4,000 or so miles. I don't remember where the odo was this spring,

The these cool mornings and days makes the car feel like it picked up another 40 HP :)

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Well guys here is a long over due update...

About 3 weeks ago I got the supra out for the summer. The oil leak on the front of the engine I finally found. If you remember I already replace the main and oil pump drive shaft seal last summer with OEM Toyota seals, and the leak was still there :(. I figured since I just put in the cam seals I didn't replace them, but bought them just in case. Well last weekend I decided to replace the cam seals since it is the only ones I haven't re-done yet.

Bingo! it was the exhaust cam seal that was leaking a little.

p1820201_1.jpg

New seals in and not leaking :)

p1820201_2.jpg

Next post is end of a era for me and 7m engines & Sup's :cry: :( sad news to fallow

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
The end of the era, sad news to fallow.

Well after getting about 75 miles on the sup after the cam seals, the 7m just wasn't running strong. It felt like I had a miss from idel to about 2000-2200 rpms. I figured I fouled out another spark plug so early last week picked a new set up and proceeded to remove the old to find this...

p1820203_1.jpg

The left one (dark) is out of #6 and the right one (white) is out of #1 !!!.... Something is not going on just right.
Took a compression check and it confirmed the bad news. (recap for any one who dont know, on the 272 cams Im running I was 120-125 psi on all cylinders on the new engine.)

Readings were this front to back, 1-6. 135, 120, 100, 80, 60, 50....

Once I saw those readings I knew the head to come off for inspection (was hopping for the metal head gasket to be blown between cylinders since there is no oil/coolant getting mixed or lost... That was last night.

Hundo stopped by not knowing what was going on. I told him what was going on and he wanted to lend a helping had in removing the head. We got the head off and confirmed the head gasket was blown.... between EVERY CYLINDER!!!!

Started to look at the pistons and bad news. 23 of 24 of relief cuts in the pistons for the valves are burnt out. :cry: Also Im surprised there wasn't piston slap. Now I didnt check the piston to wall clearance when I got my engine back from my builder (recap, I went .040" over) , but right now I can "wiggle" every piston. There is over .025" clearance between them!!!! WTF :( There is no scoring on the boars of the block so it might be reusable at least. Further inspection is needed. Note to all: It dont matter how good your builder is, or what credentials he has, CHECK ALL OF THERE WORK!.

p1820203_2.jpg

p1820203_3.jpg

p1820203_4.jpg

Well since I was in high school I have been wrenching on 7m's and supras. After spending 13 years of time and several 7m's this was my last hurrah on 7m's. Had a no limit budget on the engine build and still failed so Im calling it quits. Don't really want to but time to move on. If anyone is interested in some parts or the shell let me know. This shell is very clean, several people

I will be starting off by selling some of the parts I never got around to installing or extra parts I added to my supra like; Fields harness, 6" front door speaker pods, AFX wide band, mk4 TT fuel pump, euro folding mirrors, turbo R brake ducts, hatch shade, ect.

I still have my 04 CTS-V and 07 Escalade ext. So maybe its time to make the V, the new summer toy and further pursue the next toy I have been looking for. 1994-1997 Scarab 26 boat with a 502 mag... I few pics since I never posted about the esky

p1820203_5.jpg

p1820203_6.jpg

p1820203_7.jpg

p1820203_8.jpg

Well I don't want to end the post on a sad note so here is a pic of Mr. Blue in the sup as hundo and I were removing the head last night. He wants to go for a ride :)

p1820203_9.jpg

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Rob,
Emilio, Sean and I were just wondering about you last night. Sorry to hear the news. Damn engine builders. I am interested in a few parts. For anyone who is interested, this car is immaculate. I would like the to buy the front under bumper piece, not exactly sure what it's called.(If it's for sale) I know you got one of the last ones. BTW, the guys are working on Dan G's Supra today and Sean is working on mine. I hope we can attempt to start her this weekend.

Dan

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Again, Rob...That really sucks. Hell I was there and helped take the head off and reading this post is sad. Well.. I guess you'll have room for your boat...

^ Dan, You mean the front lip spoiler?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Oh wow! I didn't think it was going to be that bad D:

Sad to see it go, but that's the way things work with fast cars. You're still welcome to come out to any Supra events we have, maybe even beat a couple of them eventually ;) Lemme know if you need any help!

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
prob pistons there all mighty weak spot showed

ps you leaned out nothing to do with fitment

this is one big huge reason I do not like prob pistons they have massive vavle releafes that are just not needed since the biggest vavle they make is like 1 mill over

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Thank you all for the support. Who knows maybe no one will want the clean rolling body / interior and I will be stuck with it. Then forced to store it until a rainy day.

Steve you missed a mini St. Cloud meet at Dan's house yesterday, lol.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
NashMan;1820407 said:
prob pistons there all mighty weak spot showed

Yep

NashMan;1820407 said:
ps you leaned out nothing to do with fitment

Yes it might have leaned out, yet never was over 11.5-11.7 A/R under boost. See dyno sheet early in thread. If you see them personally, you can see they "burned"(not sure if that is the right word) form the out side in.. If you want to tell me that having over .025" piston to wall clearance was NOT a contributing factor when it should be .0015-.0045 MAX according to Probe Ind. , umm...... ok..., have your engine built with over .025" and see how it goes :)

In all reality it don't matter how they failed, rather that they did fail and now I'm moving on. Jim Hall can not build a bottom end to save his ass, (well documented now) but on the flip side he can build a head at least. :)