91 supra totaled, fix it?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
My first and only car, a 91 supra auto, with a sunroof, a flawless interior, stock everthing, and 87k miles on original everything except the tranny, was totaled on december 12 08. The lady driving the other car thought that, since she couldn't see the oncoming lane, that must have meant that there were no cars coming and she tried to make her left turn anyways. She floored it (I noticed her car was leaned back) and i t boned her at 40mph:

p1344734_1.jpg

p1344734_2.jpg

p1344734_3.jpg

Her insurance, Statefarm, gave me $4800 and the car (kept it cause my engine still runs, but needs a water pump, a/c compressor, some belts, etc). I'm really pissed cause I felt it was worth 7k, also considering the rebuilt head and turbo and a bunch of other things in the engine bay (3k miles old), and I havent found a sutable replacement (under 120k miles, excellent interior). i've searched craiglist every few days in every city in california for a 89+ supra since the accident (I wrote a html page to make it easier), and on autotrader and vehix, but the handful that i've liked have either been impossible to reach them by phone or email or i've gone out to see and have been very dissapointing.

I've been thinking of fixing it. Should I? I figure the insurance payout would cover the straightening and parts, and I'd have to put up some of the money I saved up for mods towards paint.

p1344734_4.jpg

p1344734_5.jpg

p1344734_6.jpg

p1344734_7.jpg

p1344734_8.jpg

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
if my car was ever in this situation i wouldnt think twice about repairing it i wouldnt care how long it took, fix it bring it back even better. Im not a fan of junking a Supra

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
fix it or buy a clean shell and swap the parts.

if its a orig sunroof car then i say fix it those are pretty rare.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
looks like a tough one. How good are you with a welder? if you do fix it, straightening doesnt look like the easiest route. you might keep an eye out for a rust free front end to chop up and replace yours with. your gonna have to strip out the front end of your car to bare metal and cut off the bent portions of your rails. I dont know what i would do in your situation, probably just freak out throw the car in the backyard and deal with it when i stumble accross a golden opportunity but thats just me. U have a CLEAN engine/bay that would be awful if they went to waste.

Just remember, you will never get your investment back.

bilalkq

Jan 12, 2009
fresno,CA
hey bro if you bought that car from Wheels USA in fresno i was the one that sold it to you. I have a 91 NA supra for sale it would be a great car to make turbo. Call me my name is Jamal my # 559 824 3077

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
Your first steps are to find out how much money it would take to have a good shop straighten and fix the frame/support damage, if it's even possible to get right for a decent amount of money.

If it's possible to fix, you might even end up ahead of the game with the 4800 they gave you, who knows. After you get the structure fixed, start finding good deals on clean body parts and the engine parts you need.

That's some deep damage though... I bet you have some suspension work ahead of you also, if you haven't already considered that.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
hvyman;1344773 said:
fix it or buy a clean shell and swap the parts.

if its a orig sunroof car then i say fix it those are pretty rare.

yea i'm a HUGE fan of the sunroof, I don't know how I would've felt about this if it didn't have it. I've only seen 3 supras with a sunroof on craigslist...ever. I'm only 18 though so that doesn't say much

JDMMA70;1344786 said:
^ what he said on a side note that VW the chick was driving got owned

lol I've never thought of it that way, but she probably got a new one the next day. She's got statefarm, ...*looks at police report* it was an '07, and she's 54 years old. lol I know where she lives too

JDMMA70;1344744 said:
if my car was ever in this situation i wouldnt think twice about repairing it i wouldnt care how long it took, fix it bring it back even better. Im not a fan of junking a Supra

I'm not gonna have time to fix it til the end of the month, but keep it coming guys, I want to feel comfortable about fixing it if I don't find another one by then. I also want to here any arguments against fixing it. Also, is it true that not just anyone can replace the airbag/steering wheel? And another thing, the strut towers are about 1/4 of an inch closer to the firewall than the measurements I took from 2 other supras at the junkyards and the glovebox doesn't close properly, any thoughts? Thanks for the responses so far

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
ive seen worse supras come back from damage like this anyone have that thread of the yellow MK4 that was brought back.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
americanjebus;1344801 said:
looks like a tough one. How good are you with a welder? if you do fix it, straightening doesnt look like the easiest route. you might keep an eye out for a rust free front end to chop up and replace yours with. your gonna have to strip out the front end of your car to bare metal and cut off the bent portions of your rails. I dont know what i would do in your situation, probably just freak out throw the car in the backyard and deal with it when i stumble accross a golden opportunity but thats just me. U have a CLEAN engine/bay that would be awful if they went to waste.

Just remember, you will never get your investment back.

Welding's not a problem (I know people), but is that safe? Thanks, getting the engine bay like that took some effort and it's awesome to be appriciated. It took months, put i've come to terms with not getting my investment back and now I just want to drive a supra again.

TrqMnstr;1344806 said:
Its a nice feeling to have your own car back. Stop treating these cars like fucking civics and dont junk them. Re- build it, you'll be happy.

Come on Jebus, the minute you become owner of a Supra investment is lost;)

Before:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25282&page=6

After
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1328139&postcount=306

Great job on your car

bilalkq;1344808 said:
hey bro if you bought that car from Wheels USA in fresno i was the one that sold it to you. I have a 91 NA supra for sale it would be a great car to make turbo. Call me my name is Jamal my # 559 824 3077

Considering how rare my car is, you might have been one of the owners, but my dad said he bought it in San Ramon. How many miles did it have when you sold it? and how many miles does your n/a one have?

JPsToyota;1344813 said:
Your first steps are to find out how much money it would take to have a good shop straighten and fix the frame/support damage, if it's even possible to get right for a decent amount of money.

If it's possible to fix, you might even end up ahead of the game with the 4800 they gave you, who knows. After you get the structure fixed, start finding good deals on clean body parts and the engine parts you need.

That's some deep damage though... I bet you have some suspension work ahead of you also, if you haven't already considered that.

i've gotten estimates in the $800-$1300 range (it changed when I gave them better photos, but no1's seen the car). Suspension work, hmm. No, I havent thought of that, but we'll see.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i've seen quite a few VERY clean supras come up on craigslist in the past 6 months...

do you not have the money anymore to buy one?
i'd consider selling my 90/turbo/targa/5-speed... as i need a more "economical" car for college...

some decent supras...
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1220548601.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1219791359.html <--- seen that car in person, its beautiful, i would swap your engine and harness and keep the rest of your car for parts incase you need them.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1217445667.html

and thats just after 10mins on craigslist.... if your waiting for another blue one then i would post up a WTB either on here or CL...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I would keep searching for a mint N/A and swap out all the guts.

Mint N/A's are easy to find on cars.com or autotrader.com

Really sorry about your situation though. If another drivers ever fucks me over like that in the Supra I will be absolutely livid. I bet I'd be screaming at the other driver for a solid hour.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
The problem is hes in CA... and swapping a turbo motor into an n/a is technically illegal... sure you can get it BAR... but in the long run its just to buy a turbo shell/car.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Rennat;1344883 said:
The problem is hes in CA... and swapping a turbo motor into an n/a is technically illegal... sure you can get it BAR... but in the long run its just to buy a turbo shell/car.

how? i thought as long as it has all the emissions controls and is a listed engine its ok? isnt it just considered a "new" or "replacement" engine?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Rennat;1344883 said:

You keeps telling you guys this?

MK3 or Mk4

the turbo motor was an option.

As soon as you go to smog they come to a screen to choose the motor.

They choose turbo if turbo and NA if NA.