91 supra totaled, fix it?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
arizzle;1346357 said:
id have to say rebuild it :) unless you can find a really cheap shell for really cheap.

I'm gonna build it then, since more people thought I should vs those who disagreed. but like I said I gotta wait til the end of the month. I'll keep looking for supras meanwhile, just incase. And if I do fix it, I'll make a build thread. Thanks everyone for the input

tacoma_kyle

Apr 12, 2009
Klamath Falls, OR
Well you have the car so you can change your mind whenever you like. If insurance gave you 4800 then that usually means they probably guessed it would have cost at least 75% of that cost to fix. So probably at least, or over 3600 to fix. Probably more because that is ignoring the salvage value of the Supra.

Keep in mind...knowing people that can weld doesnt mean you should have them working on your car. I am referencing the welder. I am not saying it is a bad idea....BUT just be wary unless you have confidence in them.

How available are your reconstructions recourses, such as your welder?

This car does look doable, I think a GOOD shop will charge a lot more than 1200. Part REPLACEMENT is better than straightening. If it is available...

Alignment....is important. That was a real nice car and do you want it looking like the thousands of shitty 240's that have had bad body-jobs done? Mis-aligned panels that are too close or too far....etc.

Keep in mind the other things...stripping it...painting it...sanding....clean scum and oil...reassembly...repairing... All of those add up. Even worse when you cant find the parts or hardware you put somewhere.

I probably sound partial to buying another Supra. I am not, just aware with what it takes cause I fucked up my truck and did that. I bought OEM sheetmetal though, so a lot of the prep was a cakewalk. Granted the hood, apron, core support and fender cost about 1000 dollars unpainted. Oh and paint is expensive. Just to paint those panels and clear was about 200 on the cheaper end.

I believe you could probably do it for a couple thousand bucks or less, depending on your route. It is a LOT of work. Even more so if you want to tack it, then assemble the panels to check for the alignment of them. If you cannot buy new OEM panels, another donor car clip is probably the best idea. I am a little skeptical on 'OEM replacement.' THey generally use slightly thinner, lower grade metal. I would not have confidence in their supposed 'meets or exceeds OEM specifications' statements. Otherwise aftermarket Tacoma rotors wouldn't always warp (3 sets out of shape...from the first mile). I measured one, on that topic. It was about .45mm thinner on each pad surface compared to a expensive-ass Toyota rotor...that has yet to warp. They also rust much quicker, I noticed. Sorry, a little tangential...I do that.

Good luck.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I went to 5 junkyards about a week before the end of the month June), but only found two 89.5+ supras, and they both had front end damage. Anyways, while that was going on, I was talking to a guy in santa rosa, 2 hours from here, regarding his 1990 supra. I bought it on Sunday (7-5-09)

It's clean like mine was, and it has 86k miles. It's still got the original headgasket and it's leaking (drank have the overfill bottle from the 2 hour trip back) and I'm not moving it til that's fixed. And while I'm at it I'm gonna ad some hp (along with an interesting idea) since I don't wanna wait like last time and not get to do it.

The full story about the 90 supra (along with pics) can be seen on the build thread that I started:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1361568

Again, thanks for your guys' help. I plan to sell the 91 supra once I'm done with the 90 supra.

David_Nguyen

Apr 16, 2005
Canada
damn...tough to see bro,that cars worth to be fixed for sure,it's your first and only car and it's a supra ffs and in that condition too...my supras has rear end damage lol...so i got front end...$100 bucks take it you pay for shipping though...I wanna keep this thing alive....hope this helps so you better fix it as all of us here would like that to happen too...

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
IIRC, the sheetmetal on 89-92 is the same. There's some minor differences in the 88-89, but still mostly interchangable.

Find a rust free roller that's the colour you like and put your interior, engine, and drivetrain into that. It would be mostly bolt-in and the majority of costs will be on fiddly things like bushings, seals, and all that.

Regardless, you can take it all apart and see what the damage to the chassis looks like, then decide... if you want to then abort and swap, you haven't lost anything.

David_Nguyen

Apr 16, 2005
Canada
Hey im sure cars in Calgary get rusty but we dont on west coast,with your salted.snowy,and gravel filled streets I can see why you tell him to get a rust bucket,im basically giving him a whole front end to repair on west coast...why because this supra is worth saving besides it's his first car...!!!!

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Horoscope:

An intercooler upgrade will be opportunistic over the next few weeks.

New fenders, bumper and bar and a few structural parts and you're fine if the structure isn't damaged (wheels straight and frame ok).

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I would like the 91 supra to live on, considering it's interior, sunroof, and milage, but it would cost a lot to fix the serious frame damage and to find the parts will be a pain in the ass. either way, one day I'd like to see it get fixed, too, even if not by me. I'm gonna work on my 90 supra first, maybe use some parts off the 91, then find a suitable place to store the 91 until I hit the lotto and fix it lol.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
David_Nguyen;1361882 said:
damn...tough to see bro,that cars worth to be fixed for sure,it's your first and only car and it's a supra ffs and in that condition too...my supras has rear end damage lol...so i got front end...$100 bucks take it you pay for shipping though...I wanna keep this thing alive....hope this helps so you better fix it as all of us here would like that to happen too...

sounds like an awsome deal, but theres no way my dad will let me buy a supra, having one totaled on the drive way and another one in the garage getting a new hg and a few bolt-ons. I have to listen to him because he's helping me with the 90 supra and because since the 2 cars I now own are undriveable, I have to use his truck, which he's been wanting to sell since 6 months ago. Let me get the 90 supra back on the road (should be by the end of summer) and then I'll see what I can do with the 91. Thanks guys for the input, and I'll be sure to maintain updates