89+ changes..?

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
I think I read somewhere once that there were minor changes to the MkIII suspension with the 89+ facelift that lowered the ride height by .5 inches or so all around. Is this true or can it be confirmed?

Reason I am asking is I happened upon a 89 at the junkyard and was thinking about swapping the front subframe to better fit my 1uzfe. If there is worth, then I will snag the rear too.

Thanks!

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
1 more question....I understand that the subframe in front is different but is the drop from springs, different control arms or different placement on the subframe?

Basically just wondering if I can use my 88 control arms on the 89 supframes and still get the 12mm drop?

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
adampecush;1303729 said:
89 year can have either the early or late model front subframe. my 89 has the earlier.

This 1 is a late model.

The other thought is maybe the spindles drop it?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Drop is in the springs.

Check the mounts to see if it's early or late (square engine mounts = early, round = late), and the braced rear subframe was all 89's...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
No need to grab the entire rear subframe. The extra bracing that's added is simply bolted on, and will bolt right onto the pre '89 subframes. ;) It's just two small bars, that's it!

Or, you could pull yours over the winter, strip it, and reinforce it, like mine. :) (Thanks to Slow66 for the welding!)

I skipped a lot of steps in there, but you get the idea. I've also got the '89+ braces on there. This subframe will be going in my new car. :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
1989 is a good year to avoid. Too many running changes for my taste.

The revised suspsension helps the braking also. Along with better tires, new hoses and proper alignment.

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
Thanks for the suggestion, info and pics Shaeff, and thanks for info Poodles/ Nick M!

This is for sure a late 89 at the junkyard and mine is a 88 Turbo/ targa so keepin my car, but lookin for upgrades when I can find them. I found the car at a junkyard near me along with an 86 and have pulled parts here and there. Just lookin at what will be the worth it to steal. I will be doin aftermarket springs and shocks so the stock stuff doesn't interest me much. Just lookin for cheap opportunities to make mine better.

I don't need the subframe but I may still do it for clearance issues with the 1U. Should I take that steering rack too? I know the ratios are different and it doesn't have the stabilizer. Is it really worth the hassle?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
That rack is going to be a PPS rack, and fuck all if I can remember if pre-89's have PPS. If it does, you'd need the power steering pump (or just the pulley) as they use a smaller pulley to push more pressure (this offsets the lack of the dampener). If it doesn't, I doubt it can be adapted easily...

The 89 model year was the best in some ways... namely the steering wheel.

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
Poodles;1304355 said:
That rack is going to be a PPS rack, and fuck all if I can remember if pre-89's have PPS. If it does, you'd need the power steering pump (or just the pulley) as they use a smaller pulley to push more pressure (this offsets the lack of the dampener). If it doesn't, I doubt it can be adapted easily...

The 89 model year was the best in some ways... namely the steering wheel.

Hmm, sounls like alot for nothing possibly. I was gonna use the 1uzfe steering pump. Thinkin about it have no idea what the steering is like on a SC400. You think it would be closer to the 88 I have or the 89+ at the junkyard?

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
pogoism9;1305376 said:
89+ turbo has PPS, you would need the rack, pump, harness, and ECU for the PPS system.

That doesn't sound fun. I think I'll just hang on to all my current stuff. I snagged the grille inserts and signals yesterday. Believe I'll leave the rest alone.