87 supra project

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
ok so I got the car running. it was code 14 that was causing the problem. there was a bad ground to the igniter. so that problem is fixed. now I moved on to the high idle. I am getting codes 32 and 51 still. 51 is being caused by me not having my ac hooked up I think (I took out the sensor). but im not understanding why im getting 32. any ideas?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Code 51 will only set if you don't have the A/C hooked up and you press the A/C Button.

However Code 32 is only a 7MGE code I think

Thanks,
Devin LeBlanc

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
ok so if the ac will only throw code 51 when its on then from my understanding 51 can only be the tps so I will check that it is to spec. also I believe from what I found here www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/engine_error_codes.aspx that code 32 could be my hac sensor. (which I do not have) could these two things working together make the car idle high once it warms up?

also I went to a local airshow this weekend and spotted this truck
p1728456_1.jpg

and I also recovered my door panel inserts. im not really happy with how it came out but oh well. thanks for looking guys
p1728456_2.jpg

Last edited:

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
so I narrowed down my code 51 to being the tps due to the fact that I checked the wiring and to see of the throttle body was all the way closed and they are fine. I also got my car moved to my new apartment so I can work on it on my days off. here's a few pics cause I was bored lol
p1731785_1.jpg

p1731785_2.jpg

thanks for looking
edit: I ordered a new hac sensor and taillight failure module

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
im really quite ticked at my car. I got a new taillight sensor and the dash says a lights out still. I got a HAC sensor and now my car is running super lean. like 17.2 at idle, but it is no longer idling high. and I resealed my taillights and it rained and my fender was full with water as usual. ugh. not a successful day

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
ok so I got a new tps and installed it and now there is no code 51 but it totally runs like crap. lean idle. and no acceleration power. if you accelerate and then let off it acts really weird and the idle drops instantly. any ideas guys I need help :(

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
How did you adjust it? It can be mis adjusted but not throw a code. Just need to find its happy place.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
An easy way with out the meter is to loosen the screws, let the spring take to the one side, then slowly turn it until you hear the motor sort of click over to a lower rev.

basically with the volt meter you have it on iirc like idl and e2 ir what ever it is, you just turn it and when it deflects like goes from example like10v to 3v rapidly. Obviously thats not the actual voltage tho. You want it to hit the idle contacts so it can idle properly. IF its too far one way it will take too much throttle to get out of idl circuit and if its not enough you will never be on the idle circuit. You want it to be barely on the idle contacts so as soon as you give it any sort of gas its off the idl circuit.

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
hmmm. ill bet that's what it is. it seems like the engine is receiving no fuel as soon as I let off the gas. its like the throttle is either on or off no in between.

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
I tried that. to set it less than 2000k ohms but it gave me some crazy reading that I didn't understand. wiring stuff is not my fortee. you got an easier way of doing it?

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
ok so I got the throttle position sensor within tsrm spec. it is set near perfect. it idles better and now its not running lean. 15.3 afr at 700 rps. the only weird thing is when you are driving and accelerating in say first gear and you push in the clutch and let off the gas to shift the rps drop to to about 1500 before you can shift gears. Idk if this is normal (its been a while since I drove this car lol) also the afr is good when cruising but it goes all the way to 20 afr when you drive downhill without giving it gas. I just need to know if these things are normal. thank you devin and hvyman for the help. it also seems as if the car is lacking power but ill get it on the dyno soon to figure that out. here is a video of what I explained early hopefully it will help clarify my rambling lol
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
100% normal for the AFR to peg full lean on decel or off throttle coasting in gear engine breaking. And 15.3 is not lean lol The AFR will bounce between 14.5-15.2 ish under cruising, that is the O2 sensor giving feedback to the TCCS for VF.