7m maximum RPM

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Then go buy a honda! Turbo cars are much different and have a different sound compared to NA cars... You can spin our stock drivetrain to 7K just fine, lots of people have done it ... Our cars don't need to spin that high... save some money and buy a 1JZ and spin to 7500 stock...

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
To be honest, if you really intend on doing this, you should consider destroking the 7M.
The 7M is oversquare, making it have a longer stroke than bore.
The RB26 and 2jz are square or undersquare, which is why you see many more 10k rpm examples of those engines, as the piston speeds stay relatively "safe" in comparison to the 7M at that RPM.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i think 7-7.5k is plenty....
doing 7200 here on comp springs and manley +1mm valves.

RotaryHead

Gets beat up by Motors
Aug 27, 2009
Tucker, Georgia, United States
i always build up my motor to have a nice flat torque curve and higher rpms so that i can extend my gearing a little and take advantage of it so i learned to drive in the upper regions of the powerband

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Hondas and rx7s need to be reved high in order to get anywhere fast if there even fast at all. We have turbos.

Even if your motor can handle the rev's unless you have the turbo for it its not going to go very well.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
nosechunks;1525006 said:
Duane has got you one up on that rear end carrier carnage. I think thats about the only thing you havnt managed to FUBAR.
2x LSD's 1x T1 Torsen ;)
(9" fixed all that)

hvyman;1525188 said:
Hondas and rx7s need to be reved high in order to get anywhere fast if there even fast at all. We have turbos.

Even if your motor can handle the rev's unless you have the turbo for it its not going to go very well.
Have to remember it's a 3.0L so it's going to take a serious Compressor to feed it in the upper ranges which will make it sluggish lower in the powerband, on top of that you need to run a BIG Turbine section so it doesn't choke which again adds lag.

In the end you're going to have around 2>3000 rpm of useable power just depends where you want it to start.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Back onto the de-stroking subject, HKS' old drag supra from the 90's used a de-stroked 7M (shorter rods, 7M crank, crazy valvetrain) I believe, it ended up becoming a 2.89L that revved to 8K. The key to Higher RPM is cam tunning/valvetrain. It isn't so much the stroke as mensioned before, the valvetrain is our biggest disability in the high revving factor.

-Sam

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
87M-GTE;1525558 said:
Back onto the de-stroking subject, HKS' old drag supra from the 90's used a de-stroked 7M (shorter rods, 7M crank, crazy valvetrain) I believe, it ended up becoming a 2.89L that revved to 8K. The key to Higher RPM is cam tunning/valvetrain. It isn't so much the stroke as mensioned before, the valvetrain is our biggest disability in the high revving factor.

-Sam

One MUST change (or modify) the crank in order to de-stroke a motor. No other way to do it.

Stroke is the sole reason the 7m isn't going to be a happy high revving motor.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
87M-GTE;1525558 said:

-Sam

aljordan;1526060 said:
One MUST change (or modify) the crank in order to de-stroke a motor. No other way to do it.

Stroke is the sole reason the 7m isn't going to be a happy high revving motor.

Lol reminds me of this: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?1653-Those-people-who-thought-I-was-wrong-about-the-1jz-and-2jz-cranks....

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I turn my 7MGE to 8500.
The few failures I have had were mostly drive line related.
Kept breaking the crank/flexplate bolts until I doweled the crank,
then started ripping the flexplate/converter bolts out.
Now I have retapped my converters to take a 10mm bolt, and so far that is working.

Did weld one stock crank dampener to a 6M crank,
but an ATI dampener on a 7M crank, and a full ballance job cured that.

I run the TODA inner-shim buckets, and have had zero problems with them.

Oh, the Gates belts I had been using don't like it either.......
So now I am trying a set of Dayco belts to see how long they last.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
7M's were not meant to rev high. 1JZ's are meant to do that. Sure, for the age of the engine, that would be considered high. I hae hearing about these kids nowdays that buy a Supra, add a boost control and then try and rev a stock engine to eight grand. 7M's throw torque out there like nothing but it is the stroke that is a problem and the valvetrain. Aaron at DriftMotion, took the 6M crank and made a 2.8 engine that was a high revving engine. He told me on the phone when I called asking about standalones.