7m 11's or bust almost 2 years in the making!!!!!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Congrats on getting to drive it!! It Feels good doesn't it!! I drove mine to work yesterday and it felt good.

How is the condition of your wiring harness?? That will cause all sorts of problems.

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
i couldn't find any automotive so i used just normal radioshack electrical cleaner(10.99 for a little ass can) which got rid of the code 24 (air intake temp sensor) i had yesterday. But i now have a code 31 (air flow meter) Hopefully i can bum one off my friend tomorrow. We'll see. Still runs like ass...wont rev without dying down real bad and if i rev it slow it dies completely, when i rev it real fast it will run real shitty and seems like its 2stepping somewhat. This sucks ass, its weird because i at least drove it last night but now i can't even rev it hardly...fresh battery and terminals ground is the same one its been since i've owned the car and is not corroded or anything.....sheesh. Do you think the electronics cleaner i used was good enough? it was mainly dust that was on the afm no grease or anything ya know?

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
well guys.....and gal.....fuck my life. well...motor is a fresh rebuild, first time i've gotten it started up and running decent (so i thought) since the rebuild. I had lots of attempted starts, enough to turn a brand new set of plugs PITCH BLACK, so i found out that was why it wasn't starting. I had an old pair of plugs laying around (i figured they'd be fine for startup) they are bosch platinums, i cleaned the dust off of them with carb cleaner and went for it. Bang! the car fires right up, but it has a knock every here and there....a very LOUD knock like rod screaming let me out knock, and then it will be steady for about 20 or so seconds then go back to the intermittantly knocking and then after a while of running go away completely. It is so random, dead quiet, then one here, one there, wait a while, then constant for a moment and then it goes away. This is very loud people...scary loud. The oil is full on the dipstick and is new as can be. he car maybe has 10 minutes of running time over the course of 3 days and 3 of that is the very short drive i have taken. I can't hear the knock from in the car (open 3 inch downpipe) but i can clear as day (when its fucking there at least) from in front of the car. Also the car acted like it wants to die upon reving, it gave me a code 31 (air flow meter) and a code 51, i know the 51 is from having the ac button on, because the tps is brand new and calibrated freshly. I replace my afm with another one and i have the exact same code. Jiggling the wiring does not matter at all. My main concern right now is the painful knocking sound on my brand new motor. JE's, eagles, clevites, arp's, mhg, the whole 9 yards. I adjusted the set the base and ignition timing perfect btw and it made no difference. Oil pressure is 46-50lbs at about 900-1100 rpm with shimmed pump, relocated filter, and rc7 fc cooler. the other day it was at about 20 but that was when it would barely stay running and it went up. I know the idle is high, but i just got it running still got those kinks to work out ya know? pulled the first 3 plug wires also and it made no difference.

erics3000

Mar 2, 2008
Florida
Man that sucks.I know how you feal..

I have had mine sitting for about 10 years. I bought a bunch of parts and than lost interest, got busy with other projects and stuff. I finally got evrything going again and I hear a knock too. I have weisco pistons, stock rods, arp balanced bluprinted and all the goodies. I hear piston slap but whne it warms up it goes a way but I still hear a little knock like the bearings. But I know my external wastegate and downpipe are leaking big time. I hope taking care of that will take care of the knock. I started taking my turbo off but that is where I am at. When I get everything welded back up and no leaks I might pull the pan on mine.

I read some other threads where people had the balancer loose and it sounded like a knock.

Maybe I am just BS..since I am sure we all know what rod knock sounds like. On yeah i was goign to take my oil filter off and cut it open and see if I see alot of metal.

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
well....went to change the oil and inspect the filter...so i drained the old oil....looked a little wierd for 10 or 15 minutes of running time, but i did use some of that oil dye (not more than recommended) so i think that might be the culprit...at least i know its the culprit to the little bright green spots
p1368903_1.jpg

p1368903_2.jpg

p1368903_3.jpg

p1368903_4.jpg

p1368903_5.jpg

p1368903_6.jpg

p1368903_7.jpg

i went to remove the filter so i could cut it open and inspect it...and of course put on the new one! but.....low and behold my stupid ass put the filter on faaaaar too tight and i ended up with this....
p1368903_8.jpg

yes...i do fail.....
but on another note i loosened up my crank pulley, it really didn't take much to get it off. I'm in hopes that was the culprit i tightened it down to 150ftlbs(as much as the tq wrench i have will go) then gave it another 1/8th or so of a turn to hold me over until i get a better torque wrench. I can't start it yet because i cant put on the new filter lol, so i'll be in pursuit of an oil filter wrench tomorrow and i hope that'll get the job done.

mk3king

Jul 20, 2009
Vallejo, Ca
hey i like the lite blue , better then what everybody else is doing like the black and red mk3 me myself i am trying to go wit purple but nice beast.

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
well.....fuck my life.....found out that this is nothing short of rod knock.....i know this because i got the filter off today....shook it....head some rattling around inside of it. I dump it out to find this....
p1369414_1.jpg

p1369414_2.jpg

p1369414_3.jpg

p1369414_4.jpg

p1369414_5.jpg

fucking mud dobbers.....anytime i had an open port in the engine i was sure to stuff either plastic bags, or rags into the gap to make sure nothing got in....guess i was wrong....the shop i had the car in was infested with mud dobbers...i never found any of thier nests in the car, or in the engine bay...i found 3 or 4 on the under carriage of the car....and one in the oil pan from intitial assembly before i had oil in it. I took off the pan, and took a flashlight to where i could see and my hand to everywhere a flashlight would't reach and that was the only one.....so i thought......i'm not sure when i'll get to tear in to this because i don't have 100+$ for bearings....hopefully the crank and rods are fine....i did one last running video just to make sure after i tightened up the crank pulley last night and changed the oil. i'll post that vid here in a minute.....i'm so fed up right now.

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
wonder how i can be SURE that all those are out.....i really don't want a full teardown...i was just hoping for a rebuild while the motor is still in the car...

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
looks like i'm not their only victim...from wikipedia-
They do however pose a special risk to aircraft operation, as they are prone to nest in the small openings and tubes that compose aircraft pitot-static systems. Their presence in these systems can disable or impair the function of the airspeed indicator, the altimeter, and/or the vertical speed indicator. It is thought that mud dauber wasps were ultimately responsible for the crash of Birgenair Flight 301, which killed 189 passengers and crew.[2]

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
89nasupra;1369445 said:
how much has been left open on the motor while it has been down?
nothing that i knew of....the oil drain tube for the turbo WAS for maybe a week then i noticed it and plugged it up, that's when i found the single nest in the oil pan (before i put oil in it.)