300 hp and 300 torque

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
A lot of those modifications don't even add power, and the ones that do won't be enough for 300 RWHP, maybe 300 crank horsepower. There is an N/A mod FAQ, but I don't really know if you read it, but a lot of these modifications and ideas have been discussed. It's really not worth it in the end. The only reason to stay N/A is because you're trying to prep it for a track car, in which you should use a different platform/gut out the car for more performance, or you're trying to go cheap, which isn't the case here since the mods you want are expensive.

s-10

supra swapper
Apr 11, 2010
montana
just a thought here..... but have you considered triple weber sidedrafts? I don't think it's a very popular idea on this car, but it is an idea. they are definately not cheap, but you would have plenty of fuel.... you could run a crank fired ignition like MegaJolt and then you wouldn't have any use for the factory computer.

also, the NA 7m is a pretty fast engine in stock form in a lighter rig (as mentioned before).... If I recall correctly single cab short box chevy s10's are pretty light, and someone told me that a 7m fits in there......

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
s-10;1662141 said:
just a thought here..... but have you considered triple weber sidedrafts? I don't think it's a very popular idea on this car, but it is an idea. they are definately not cheap, but you would have plenty of fuel.... you could run a crank fired ignition like MegaJolt and then you wouldn't have any use for the factory computer.

also, the NA 7m is a pretty fast engine in stock form in a lighter rig (as mentioned before).... If I recall correctly single cab short box chevy s10's are pretty light, and someone told me that a 7m fits in there......

He lives in Cali, carb = do not pass go, do not collect $200...

s-10

supra swapper
Apr 11, 2010
montana
IJ.;1662194 said:
Good for 3 days a year at the same altitude they were tuned for, rest of the time not so good..

speaking from experience?

to the OP--> have you considered a supercharger.... it's not quite the same as turbo.....
you might get to your goal at around 10k rpms otherwise.
Even in the theoretical realm of mathematics, you won't reach 300 hp without either more rpm or denser air, or more displacement.... choose one and go with it

IJ.;1662212 said:
Not even close...

I don't know how much ITBs to set up on a 7m.... but I wholeheartedly agree with you here, webers are bloody expensive! I think that the jets are made outta platinum or gold or somethin.... it's nuts!!

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
s-10;1662685 said:

to the OP--> have you considered a supercharger.... it's not quite the same as turbo.....
Even in the theoretical realm of mathematics, you won't reach 300 hp without either more rpm or denser air, or more displacement.... choose one and go with it

I don't know how much ITBs to set up on a 7m.... but I wholeheartedly agree with you here, webers are bloody expensive! I think that the jets are made outta platinum or gold or somethin.... it's nuts!!

Supercharger is more expensive as the parts aren't readily available. Same issues as turboing, but only worse dollar for dollar. Honestly, the OP is "scared" of boost thinking that it causes issues, when it doesn't. Running too much boost on a tired ass engine without any tuning causes issues.

Webers can be picked up second hand if you know where to look, but yes they're expensive as hell new :rofl:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
s-10;1662685 said:

Yes, well over 30 years worth ;)

zby67

Nov 15, 2010
Texas
ok, i have taken everyones advice since im doing this project out of A the love for the car and B a learning project. im just going to be doing a mostly stock rebuild. just boring over .020, P&P and duel exhaust. (yes iv thought of a 1JZ swap) ill save the heavier mods and HP gains for when i get my 90 GTE supra i want. that way i have more experiences. i have a question do i need a Torque plate when boring and honing this block? also i was told that i needed to put the back side of the timing cover on then the tensioner on when boring so the first cylinder doesn't get jacked up is this true??

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
Why not to go 2jzge? it has 86mm pistons and 86mm strock, lighter cranshaft and better desing, better cylinder head with bigger ports, bigger valves, better camshafts, better oil pump, 30 dollars metal head gasket, Its like a 7M with all the extras from factory. + a NOS shot of 75hp. You will be ther for 1500 dollars.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
a_sesshoumaru;1667705 said:
Why not to go 2jzge? it has 86mm pistons and 86mm strock, lighter cranshaft and better desing, better cylinder head with bigger ports, bigger valves, better camshafts, better oil pump, 30 dollars metal head gasket, Its like a 7M with all the extras from factory. + a NOS shot of 75hp. You will be ther for 1500 dollars.

QFT!

And will run on the existing GTE electronics just fine if it's a budget build.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
To the OP:

You're fighting a pointless battle with this whole thing. If you love your NA 7M, rebuild to just be a clean STOCK motor. Save your time, effort and money for a 7MGTE or a 2jZ or even a 1JZ. I am good friends with CRE. He built one of the best budget/high power NA 7M's I've seen. He pioneered the use of MAFT-Pro with a 7MGE. With a shitload of knowledge and tuning ability, he was making more than stock power, but just barely. With my BONE stock GTE, limited tuning knowledge, I'm pretty positive I make more power.

If you ask people that have pursued the 7MGE high power build, I'm sure nearly every last one would say it was a terrible idea. CRE has told me it was basically a foolish endeavor. His time/money and energy could have gotten him a super responsive, super clean turbo build.

Build it basic, clean and stock. Save your time and money and effort for a cause worth the labor. You can get great power out of a 7MGTE or 2JZ for what you had budgeted for your 7MGE build that would struggle to yield 275hp. With 10 grand and a 7MGTE or 2JZ you can easily make 450hp...

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
suprarx7nut;1667727 said:
To the OP:

You're fighting a pointless battle with this whole thing. If you love your NA 7M, rebuild to just be a clean STOCK motor. Save your time, effort and money for a 7MGTE or a 2jZ or even a 1JZ. I am good friends with CRE. He built one of the best budget/high power NA 7M's I've seen. He pioneered the use of MAFT-Pro with a 7MGE. With a shitload of knowledge and tuning ability, he was making more than stock power, but just barely. With my BONE stock GTE, limited tuning knowledge, I'm pretty positive I make more power.

If you ask people that have pursued the 7MGE high power build, I'm sure nearly every last one would say it was a terrible idea. CRE has told me it was basically a foolish endeavor. His time/money and energy could have gotten him a super responsive, super clean turbo build.

Build it basic, clean and stock. Save your time and money and effort for a cause worth the labor. You can get great power out of a 7MGTE or 2JZ for what you had budgeted for your 7MGE build that would struggle to yield 275hp. With 10 grand and a 7MGTE or 2JZ you can easily make 450hp...

+ 2...^^^ Been there done that.....

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
suprarx7nut;1667727 said:
To the OP:

+ 2...^^^ Been there done that.....