3 piece taillight

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I've been looking all around for the answer to this but I can't find it. Can you replace the trim on a 3 piece taillight or what other alternative can me taken to have matching trim (other than buying like that)?

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I think a few members took the molding off their original lights and put it where the new one is. Exact details I do not have but I am sure someone knows.

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm riding an 87..lol. I saw that I have the black trim where the trim would be. That's why I was wondering if i could just replace that because finding a 3 piece with black trim is killing me now.lol

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Well I guess I didn't write it up clear enough haha. rip the trim off the 3 piece and rip the trim off your orig center piece and put it on the 3 piece. It will need to be stuck on with glue or tape. It should look nice but I do not have the exact details.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
I have been wondering about this too; I like the look of the pre 89 trim, and it would be nice to be able to attach it to the 89+ center piece. When I installed my 89+ tails, it looked like it would be a PITA to get the 89+trim off nicely, and try to attach the older trim.

Anyone do this before??

I have my 86.5 with 89+ taillights... I had posted this very same question a while back.... and no one could answer either....

so my own solution is to put the 89+ moulding all the way around my car to match the tails....

but if anyone does have a write up on the removal of old and install of the new on an 89+ tails i at least saved the center piece from my 86.5 old tails...

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Its a pretty easy solution. You take the old tail lights moulding off, and take the news ones off and tape the old ones in place.

end/ thread/

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
the molding is integral with the license plate frame, you can't just replace it. IIRC, there is no 88-like 89+ center section. Either live with the difference, or get 89+ mouldings.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
s383mmber1;890190 said:
Its a pretty easy solution. You take the old tail lights moulding off, and take the news ones off and tape the old ones in place.

end/ thread/

no idea what that means, but if you mean tape the old trim over the 89+ center piece trim, thats not what we had in mind I am sure. if not, do you have pics?

adampecush;890373 said:
the molding is integral with the license plate frame, you can't just replace it. IIRC, there is no 88-like 89+ center section. Either live with the difference, or get 89+ mouldings.

It seems like somebody could shave down the plastic trim part of the 89+ center piece, with a belt sander even, and then epoxy the old trim (which looks to me comes off the pre 89 center piece pretty easily) to the 89+ center plastic.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
no, you would have to cut the trim off entirely, and make brackets to re-attach. The trim is essentially hollow, and not mounted to anything. It is all one piece with the license plate support.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
adampecush;890401 said:
no, you would have to cut the trim off entirely, and make brackets to re-attach. The trim is essentially hollow, and not mounted to anything. It is all one piece with the license plate support.

yea that makes the most sense, that would be an interesting project to say the least.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Johnathon1 has done it...

I think he just took the trim off his 87 and put it on top of the 89+ piece...

the thing is, the pre 89 trim has a wider license plate opening, so there'll be a gap..

89+ trim is also plastic and weighs less than pre 89 trim (which can rust)...

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
why do you want to do put the pre-89 mouldings anyway? Is it because of the colour? I was thinking about this too but I figured Im just going to get the tail lights and then paint the entire car black. Only thing Im worried about is that the mouldings look different because the 89 mouldings are plastic and the pre-89 is this really hard rubber.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Razoe - I checked out Johnathan1's car and sent him a pm, I think his looks good, thanks for the tip.

gsmokez - I personally like the look of the pre 89 trim, with the uniform hump, and the subtle stripes in it. The 89+ looks too plastic (which it is of course), and I don't like the lower hump on it at all.

Just my opinion...

BTW, not trying to jack your thread 86andhalfwhitegirl, I am just trying to figure out the same thing as you.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Oh well I was thinking if I were to paint that moulding the same colour as the rest of the moulding on the car would it look the same or would it look different since its plastic?

balong

suprastar
Mar 17, 2007
Calgary
thats what i did. but my whole car is black
p897647_1.jpg

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
lol exactly what I wanna do. I wanna make the whole car black but yeah that piece of moulding does look different than the other pieces but whatever I can live with it its not very noticable unless you really look at it. Have any other pics where the suns not glaring all over it? loll