1UZ swap complete. S366, Haltech, E85, etc.

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
wow! all i have to say :) absolutely amazed with the swap and setup! kudos to you man! keep us updated. so are you looking for 600-800hp with this?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
"I swear officer, my speedo said I was doing 0mph the ENTIRE time..." ;)

Nice build you have there man, got any other pics of the car?

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
it pulls hard! would love to see how it does against some jz cars! im sure it doesn't have a problem holding its own haha cant imagine it on 25-30 psi!

88mk3supra

7M DEMON
May 23, 2009
Clayton,Ohio
not to jack this thread by any means but does anybody know the difference of going "single turbo" 1uzfe or 3uzfe? is there a better one overall say for 700-800whp and revving high such as 7500-8k rpm? i know they have the r154 or v160 adapter also so a v160 is an option if the r154 blows. just didn't know if you could do a 1uz block and 3uz head or if vvti was the way to go or if it was too much of a hassle to tune? i am looking into the swap myself with this turbo or similar bigger "s372r" and possibly a built motor.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
Very nice swap, looks very cleen and well thought out. I have been running a similar setup in my supra for around 5 years now, early 1UZ, bebop plate, R154, stand alone EMS (megasquirt 2) and boost, though its from a Whipple not a turbo. Has been nothing but reliable and gets far better MPG then my 7M ever did. Also the confused looks on peoples faces when they hear or see the engine are worth the cost of the swap. How are you liking the torque, got to love that 200+ TQ at 1000 RPM. Always cool to see someone who likes to do things a little different then the "norm".

To - 88mk3supra
The most bang for your buck in the xUZ-FE in my opinion would be the early (pre 1995) 1UZ. After that the 1UZ, VVTI 1UZ, 2UZ and 3UZ all had the smaller weaker rods and being newer and more complex tend to cost more. A bone stock 1989-1994 1UZ will handle over twice the power of the later versions and can be had for less then $500. There is some capability for head swapping but I cant remember the exact details off hand. lextreme.com will become your new friend, lots of great info to be had there on these engines. OR join me on the dark side and find you self a 1GZ-FE and truly know what NO after market support is like. LOL

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
redrocco;1827479 said:
Very nice swap, looks very cleen and well thought out. I have been running a similar setup in my supra for around 5 years now, early 1UZ, bebop plate, R154, stand alone EMS (megasquirt 2) and boost, though its from a Whipple not a turbo. Has been nothing but reliable and gets far better MPG then my 7M ever did. Also the confused looks on peoples faces when they hear or see the engine are worth the cost of the swap. How are you liking the torque, got to love that 200+ TQ at 1000 RPM. Always cool to see someone who likes to do things a little different then the "norm".

Well, I can't say anything bad about the engine. It makes amazing power and it's ubber reliable once all the little bugs of a fresh swap get worked out. BUT, I will say that the R154 didn't agree with it. Last week I was out driving around and did a 3rd gear pull - rolled into the throttle - and the trans let go. It stripped ALL the teeth off 3rd gear. So, I'm looking into selling a kidney so I can buy V160.

TheMaxx

Jan 8, 2012
orlando
Yikes.. How many ft lbs/tq you putting out? Have you looked at the marlin crawler r154? It would be cheaper too just rebuild the r154+cryo treat and possible forms of shot peening. Although the v160 is proven performer there are probably some cheaper alternatives.

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
Between the turbo, engine and misc stuff like fittings and adapter plate....I've got around $1500 into it. LOL.

But with that being said, I do have an airplane hanger / shop chock full of parts and I used many of the parts from my previous 1jz setup - so that helps a little. Don't forget to calculate fab time/work - to me thats free but to everybody else it's between 60-80 per hour. I would have to say that I have about 50-60 hours of cutting/welding/mocking etc. into this build. Then another 8-10 hours into building the Haltech harness, nother 2-3 hours tuning the Haltech, and I know I'm leaving out another 20-30 hours somewhere lol.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
How dare you v8 an mkIII!1!!one!
Jk, had to add some amount of flammage.

Looks and sounds incredible.
Only wish the speedo worked so I could see how fast you were going lol
Bet that thing scares the hell out of any of the local American muscle heads lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
88mk3supra;1827341 said:
not to jack this thread by any means but does anybody know the difference of going "single turbo" 1uzfe or 3uzfe? is there a better one overall say for 700-800whp and revving high such as 7500-8k rpm? i know they have the r154 or v160 adapter also so a v160 is an option if the r154 blows. just didn't know if you could do a 1uz block and 3uz head or if vvti was the way to go or if it was too much of a hassle to tune? i am looking into the swap myself with this turbo or similar bigger "s372r" and possibly a built motor.
VVTI is a pretty badass technology for having a better powerband, but like redrocco points out, the early 1uz was a more stout engine. Now to find that balance point so you get the best of both worlds... ;)

redrocco;1827479 said:
OR join me on the dark side and find you self a 1GZ-FE and truly know what NO after market support is like. LOL
Gotta keep in mind man, you took an engine from an ultra-luxury limo. What did you expect? Most Century owners couldn't be bothered to even DRIVE their own cars. :p

enslaved87;1827501 said:
Well, I can't say anything bad about the engine. It makes amazing power and it's ubber reliable once all the little bugs of a fresh swap get worked out. BUT, I will say that the R154 didn't agree with it. Last week I was out driving around and did a 3rd gear pull - rolled into the throttle - and the trans let go. It stripped ALL the teeth off 3rd gear. So, I'm looking into selling a kidney so I can buy V160.
Sorry to hear that man, you don't hear that very often, even on higher power cars. Any thoughts on what may have happened?

turbo87targa;1827616 said:
Bet that thing scares the hell out of any of the local American muscle heads lol
I don't fear v8's... but boosted v8's? That's another story. :aigo:

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
enslaved87;1827609 said:
Between the turbo, engine and misc stuff like fittings and adapter plate....I've got around $1500 into it. LOL.

But with that being said, I do have an airplane hanger / shop chock full of parts and I used many of the parts from my previous 1jz setup - so that helps a little. Don't forget to calculate fab time/work - to me thats free but to everybody else it's between 60-80 per hour. I would have to say that I have about 50-60 hours of cutting/welding/mocking etc. into this build. Then another 8-10 hours into building the Haltech harness, nother 2-3 hours tuning the Haltech, and I know I'm leaving out another 20-30 hours somewhere lol.

You lucky bastard.

Warlock1

Mar 13, 2012
Surprise, AZ
So if that is the case then maybe a modded 700r4 would be the thing to have. Does anyone make an adapter from the UZ to a gm overdrive tranny?