1JZ with ct26

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Zumtizzle;1071037 said:
Well Ken,

Have you considered toyota V8's?

We can throw those in the mix and argue for a few weeks straight! ;)

Toyota V8's? Hellll no, Chevrolet 350! Hmmm:biglaugh:

Frankenstien;1071040 said:
Well, I'd like to know how well the upgraded ct-26 would perform on the the 1J. One of my twins just went and I'm looking for a decent replacement.

The description on the DM page I linked says a 57 trim can push a 1jz to 400 or more.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
A CT on a 1J is gonna be like a small single, but cheaper.

Not much fabbing (oil and coolant lines, IC pipes), and everything will bolt right on. DP is your choice of many, ect ect...

You might have a little more lag, but I don't see it being very much...

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Ken what is your power goal. As for me I know you can't beat everything out there so for me 400+ reliable power is my goal. I already have enough tickets with my slow cars.:evil2:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
jugodegolf;1071375 said:
Ken what is your power goal. As for me I know you can't beat everything out there so for me 400+ reliable power is my goal. I already have enough tickets with my slow cars.:evil2:

It's not so much as a power goal, I just really like how they look in our cars. I love my 7m but it looks cluttered under my hood.

I'd be happy with anything over 300 hp. Not looking to race but would like that "kick" to it.

improved

Running!
Apr 4, 2005
California
I'm in the process of putting a CT on my 1J. In my case my 7m took a walk and I already had all the CT perepherials. My 1J didnt come with turbos, making this a perfect boost solution.

I'm planning on 350 to 400 RWHP. Although this is all speculation on my behalf and everyone else. Unless someone has numbers. We'll see I should finish my car soon.

Matt-

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
I've been to DM's site to check their upgraded CT-26 out. I realize the setup could push 400whp, but is it reliable at that level of power? I don't want to buy the setup, then have it blow up on me a week later.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
The kit from driftmotion looks like a good way to get a few extra horses and save on the rebuild costs of the twins.My experience with the twins is a very smooth boost that makes the car feel a little wimpy but if you watch the speedo its quite deceptive, the ct26/57 would give it a little lag but itd be more fun coming on boost.Looks like great value to me..:icon_bigg

hamgatan

Jul 26, 2008
Perth
z20soarer.org
yeah im with you on that. id like to see some dyno charts and feedback from the boys who have done the CT26/57 upgrade as well. i mailed aaron already but id like 2nd and 3rd opinions on it also.

cut a long story short, i sold off a perfectly good pair of ct12a's a few weeks ago thinking my spares were in good nick. turns out they weren't and now have about 3mm play in the rear. so ive had enough of pulling these damn things on and off.. im just going to bin the pesky little snails, sell my custom dumps/y-pipe and go this option if it proves worthwhile.

i agree with the deceptively weak bit about ct12a's though. its a smoother boost curve and doesn't come on as hard. in my jzz20 i would kick it down and not even notice the speed till i hit cut. in my jzx90 though with the steel wheeled ct12a's.. holy craparoony.. massive difference. that thing is a monster, it chirps first, second, AND third.. and you feel it.

Supadeviljuice

Jul 3, 2008
CT
With that driftmotion manifold, I imagine you could put an SP series turbo on the 1j and do really well, perhaps an SP61GT? Correct me if I'm wrong. Would that fit properly?

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
gtsfirefighter;1069404 said:
Pics?

Also, kinda venturing off here, but I've searched the tech and vendors section but does anyone make a plug n play harness for a 1jz swap?

check out my profile or my build thread. It has pics of the ct26.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
To go back to the OT -

The point of the manifold kit (and where it REALLY shines) is when someone has a 7M, in decent, high mileage condition, and then they upgrade the ct26.

Well, at that point, they want to run 15-18psi on the street (to let the 57trim run) and pop the head gasket.

At that point, it almost always boils down to 1JZ or 7M Rebuild. If they decide on 1JZ, a very real problem is the blown twins scenario. Well, they have that fresh upgraded CT26 - why not use it? It's a damn sight cheaper than rebuilding the twins!

zoppii

Pro Lurker
May 21, 2007
Palm Harbor
I have the CT26 setup on my car. I’ve had it for about a year now and love it. I can’t compare it to a twin setup because I took them off before the swap and went with this. I happen to have two freshly rebuilt CT26’s in my possession at the time a 60 trim currently on the car and a 60 -1 on the shelf. The setup includes 440 Aristo injectors, AFPR, 3inch elbow DP and Tanabe Super Medalion exhaust. Walbro 255lph, Driftmotion IC/ pipe setup. It all balances out well according to my wideband, with little adjustments needed on the SAFC. I figured when both turbo’s are used up I might change out rather than rebuild but for no other reason than to mix things up a bit. I’m pretty OK with the setup for potential power. No dyno numbers yet but I just got my HKS cam in the mail last week so I’ll install them in a few weeks and see where it’s at. Here’s a picture.

finisheden6.jpg

Last edited: