1300 Kg Track SUPRA project

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
AFTER RACE REPORT:

2º palce but bitter second place.

aerodynamically was like a different car really nice, same with the new chassis set up now it feels like a race car , the only negative point was a vibrations after three laps from .... no idea i thinkg was the tyres or engine or brakes or no idea but it appears after warming three laps and desappiars after 6 laps driving, maybe the Kuhmo tyres have this particularitty.
but after 7 laps the engine start to leak coolant , the head gasket or the head itself have a problem (i was suspecting that some thing wasn´t correct before) maybe the head have a crack .

so will be a good idea to swap to the 2jz-gte engine....

need help please

vvti or non vvti? thinking to upgrade the engine soon.
what ECU ? Motec, AEM, Infinity...... and where I can find a Injection MAP to start it because I have other race in a month and a half and no time to do it.
at the moment I will use the stock internals with my GT35 turbo , what is the max boost I can use?

thanks

P.D. the vibrations came from a broken gearbox rubber mounts.

Last edited:

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
SeeUSmile;2001974 said:
Don't wanna stick with the 7m josbeat :O

I have to decide if rebuild the 7m again which is almost 5 month waiting for parts and labourd , or take a 2jz and try to do it in one and a half moth .
i been fighting with the 7m long time .... it give me good moments but, is time of change.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
josbeat;2001995 said:
I have to decide if rebuild the 7m again which is almost 5 month waiting for parts and labourd , or take a 2jz and try to do it in one and a half moth .
i been fighting with the 7m long time .... it give me good moments but, is time of change.
Toyota made great strides from the 7M when they went 2JZ. It is well known to have some valve guide seal leaks in stock form... That's all I can recall on the negative side of the ledger.
The 7M I had built, has run for five years w/o issues until I hooked up the RX7 oil cooler that blocked cool air flow to the radiator, causing three overheated sessions. I expect the head to go any time now, but I will have caused it to go.
Before you dump the 7M ask yourself, "was there anything I did that contributed to this; would the 2JZ have held up any better"? My situation, the answer is: No!

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
Van ... the last engine have
new pauter rods, new Wiseco pistons,Wiseco MHG, oversized valves, dry sump, new comp bearings, new block and I dont remeber how many month waiting for the parts! , extensive combustion chamber work, new set of BC high lift cams, sequential injecction..... and it only give one lap! I´d solved the 7M temp problems, oil problems, lot of weight reduction... and still problems, maybe is the AEM EMS or the age of my motor but most probably I will need again a new head a new set of pistons and gasket and that minds to send the new head ad the block to be machined , the piston to be back ordered .... few months!
and one of the reason is , my wife come with me to all of the races with the other car filled with the tools and wheels and shee kill me if I rebuild this engine again beleave me!

maybe I am the mk3 owner who spend more money and time on the 7M engine than anyone in the world.

maybe the 7m engine is not the ideal for closed track which is perfect for drag racing or high power dailly drive engine but it hate to be over 5000 rpm all the time.

and the most important , I hate to have a mithsu in front of me in the championchip.

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
Your head gasket doesn't go out for no apparent reason. I don't know a 2j engine that would of held up any better giving the same set of circumstances. The 2j is a better engine hands down but they still blow up high coolant temps,oil temps,detonation and improper engine building can ruin any engine. It doesn't make sense to think about swapping engines without knowing what went wrong you could wind up in the same boat except this time it's a 2j

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
I'm not skilled enough to make advice about race engine so I won't.
Maybe you don't want to loose time and effort and repair your 7M.

I have been able to get made to order Wiseco pistons in about a month. From PayPal to Paris, France.
I doubt you need to replace block parts for a head / HG failure (if no Hydro lock).

Good luck,

Reynald

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
josbeat;2002021 said:
Van ... the last engine have
new pauter rods, new Wiseco pistons,Wiseco MHG, oversized valves, dry sump, new comp bearings, new block and I dont remeber how many month waiting for the parts! , extensive combustion chamber work, new set of BC high lift cams, sequential injecction..... and it only give one lap! I´d solved the 7M temp problems, oil problems, lot of weight reduction... and still problems, maybe is the AEM EMS or the age of my motor but most probably I will need again a new head a new set of pistons and gasket and that minds to send the new head ad the block to be machined , the piston to be back ordered .... few months!
and one of the reason is , my wife come with me to all of the races with the other car filled with the tools and wheels and shee kill me if I rebuild this engine again beleave me!

maybe I am the mk3 owner who spend more money and time on the 7M engine than anyone in the world.

maybe the 7m engine is not the ideal for closed track which is perfect for drag racing or high power dailly drive engine but it hate to be over 5000 rpm all the time.

and the most important , I hate to have a mithsu in front of me in the championchip.
Personally; I've had two 7M's over the years. I wear them out racing and driving them. I put enough wear on my engine each race weekend to equal a years worth of wear. I get oil analysis and it tells me I need to change the AmsOil 20/50 after each race weekend. This sport places a lot of stress on the car's systems as well as their parts. I say this only to remind us that before we pitch the engine we already have so much invested in, we need to remember what it is we are doing to them and lower our expectations of them.
My new engine is more powerful, so much so, that it is beginning to break the transmission. We expect the 1st through third bearings to go anytime. One of them is already howling...
Again, what do you suspect caused the engine failure?

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
I am thinking to the posibility of a crack in the head,

Rollus in about a month everything must be running for breaking in

other bad choice was the AEM EMS 1ª serie

Van do you have any special oil pan?

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
josbeat;2002167 said:
I am thinking to the posibility of a crack in the head,

Rollus in about a month everything must be running for brakingin

other bad choice was the AEM EMS 1ª serie

Van do you have any special oil pan?
Windage tray in modified oil pan.jpg it is baffled front to rear and has trap doors in the two kick outs to hold in the oil. Capacity is 7 quarts, plus 1 in the oil cooler.
Additionally, I had one of these made: Surge tank with 1 Gal capacity.

Attachments

• WP_000423.jpg
    WP_000423.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 84
Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
^^^^
Van, are you using the existing holes that were used for the OEM wing on the hatch for the new APR wing?
Liking the additional coolant surge tank to help with coolant temperature saturation. Probably takes a few more minutes to get to operational temperature though?

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
yes Van I remember to see that oil pan in your build thread.

we been talking today with two racing teams asking about the dry sump system they are using on hes Ferraris and the big secret is..... they mix some diferent oil grades to get the correct oil pressure looking the oil temp and weather temp. ehhh? how do you feel now? how complex is the real world jejejeje

josbeat

Supramania Contributor
Jul 31, 2010
spain
sorry Van I been off for long time.

I been using Pirelli slicks but they have a big diameters so I am now using the Kumho semislicks v70A.
what I get with those tyres is to lower the car as mutch as I got the flat floor working without rubbing but the suspension must be set really hard and the wheels must be centered correctly into the fenders.
for sure you know what i am talking about.
I am happy with the handling now, the downforce upgrades give me better results than the use of pure slicks alone.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Still awsome car ;)

What's in white plastic tank? Meth?

Sorry for off topic but, do you know where I can source aero parts here in EU Jose please? I really like Vans' Duraflex part but that's a hell expensive to ship accross atlantic (juste have a quotation, that will be > 1600€).

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Thanks for the help. I'll be looking to buy some "Track Day" tires for next season. I use the BFG lineup for tires, so I may go with the BFG Rival.
josbeat;2020480 said:
sorry Van I been off for long time.

I been using Pirelli slicks but they have a big diameters so I am now using the Kumho semislicks v70A.
what I get with those tyres is to lower the car as mutch as I got the flat floor working without rubbing but the suspension must be set really hard and the wheels must be centered correctly into the fenders.
for sure you know what i am talking about.
I am happy with the handling now, the downforce upgrades give me better results than the use of pure slicks alone.