10 reason MK3 Supras are garbage

Eman14j

O help me, Oprah Winfrey!
Nov 7, 2008
Prescott Valley, AZ
Supracentral;1830023 said:
That was one of my quotes too; "99 times out of 100, the weakest link in the MKIII is the owner"

Its true my name is emmanuel I'm 26 now but when I bought the car at 18 the first 2 years was me being a horrible owner. I want to confess I blew the stock head gasket several times, partially melted my engine harness, *shakes head* stood on the top of my car drinking a 40oz while the car drove in idle... I seek personal forgiveness lol No but I did grow up and I'd like to thank supramania for all the tips and proper maintenance needed to bring the car back to a beautiful and fulfilling life (outside of emissions cause 3 1/2” downpipe to 4” straight back exhaust no cat or muffler ain't gonna cut it but soon I can say fuck emissions test for my 88) :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Nick M;1830098 said:
Brakes are horrible? You guys crack me up sometimes.

Agreed. Pretty sure the mk3 had the shortest stopping distance in all the road and track type tests that were done on it when compared to other "sporty" cars in it's time. (IE 300ZX, RX7, 3000GT..etc)

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Saw this "top 10 reasons..." website when I first bought my MK3 back in November of last year. After actually working on the car and driving it, I can definitely say, some of the info on that website is incorrect. Just to point out things:

The weight is closer to 3600lbs (for the NA version) (3800 with a driver).

The suspension geometry IS actually correct. I've looked at the geometry of the front and rear suspension in great detail as I come from 7 years of building, studying and setting up cars for autocross and racing. Throughout the travel of the suspension in the mk3, both front and rear, will go from negative to zero to negative camber. (zero being where the car sits normally under it's own weight, which is where you want it for normal street driving).

Most of the other reasons are all subjective opinions, so I take it all with a grain of salt. I don't care what anybody says. I love my supra. I love the way it drives and I love it's 80's styling/design. :)

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Only reason most people don't think the brakes are good enough is because they aren't running a stock motor...go fast car needs stop fast brakes. And that guy is a complete fucking retard, there isn't many cars I would rather have, nor is it ever going anywhere. And the 7M is fine if you know how to build and maintain a fucking motor, not hard.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
suprarx7nut;1830119 said:
Agreed. Pretty sure the mk3 had the shortest stopping distance in all the road and track type tests that were done on it when compared to other "sporty" cars in it's time. (IE 300ZX, RX7, 3000GT..etc)

MKIV Supra ;) Don't remember seeing any solid comparisons of the MKIII's brakes.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Somebody should find out what kind of car that guy likes and post an article on that site ripping on it. Not for the purpose of ripping on that car, just to piss him off and call him a fanboy if he replies. You know, real mature like.

I bet that post came to exist about an hour after his 7M puked out it's third chinese head gasket.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
MPR;1830132 said:
The weight is closer to 3600lbs (for the NA version) (3800 with a driver).

Weight is about 3450 for 7MGE and W58. Sport roof adds around 100 lbs, it has been a while since I have had the TSB in my hands. A340E trans also ads a little weight. 7MGTE, A340E sport roof, optioned out is 3640.

The suspension geometry IS actually correct.

Yes, it is. The car is one of the best ever built. Most of what he said, the opposite was true. Sort of like Phil Donhaue.

RogueCustoms

Custom Painter/Fabricator
Apr 7, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
The car is SEXY... Plain... Simple. I can take out cars that are 4-5 times the value in drag, drift or road. And every time the owner looks at me like WTF... Wait what was that and what just happened?

Never had a problem with the car. Suspension or motor. But, like most of you, i fixed the issues before they became major problems. The dude just had an axe to grind and probably didn't know what he was truely doing.

Let him gripe....

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
RogueCustoms;1830430 said:
The car is SEXY... Plain... Simple. I can take out cars that are 4-5 times the value in drag, drift or road. And every time the owner looks at me like WTF... Wait what was that and what just happened?

Never had a problem with the car. Suspension or motor. But, like most of you, i fixed the issues before they became major problems. The dude just had an axe to grind and probably didn't know what he was truely doing.

Let him gripe....

+1 sexiest car EVER made IMO ( rx-7 FD comes in a close second)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
aloshan;1830448 said:
+1 sexiest car EVER made IMO ( rx-7 FD comes in a close second)

I'm sorry, I love the mk3 more than any healthy person really should, but the FD RX7 is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The FD is like the gorgeous girl that walks in and makes the pretty hot other girls look ugly. Though I guess that's a predictable response given my screen-name...

tumblr_llgxz2FW7g1qb3q96o1_500.jpg

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
suprarx7nut;1830460 said:
I'm sorry, I love the mk3 more than any healthy person really should, but the FD RX7 is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The FD is like the gorgeous girl that walks in and makes the pretty hot other girls look ugly. Though I guess that's a predictable response given my screen-name...

tumblr_llgxz2FW7g1qb3q96o1_500.jpg

I know...ive thought the same thing.....(however im an mk3 fanboy till the day I do hence the above statement).

theres just something about the FD...its just soooo f*cking hot , each line is sculpted to perfection. Almost 20years later and it still fits right in! The design is clearly the epitome of timelessness.

Every time I see one I have to stop and stare(and cream my pants) ...its presence , the way it sits , its just ...ORGASMIC

My dream car is an FD with a 2j in it....

the fd kinda looks like the next evolution of the MK3 IMO

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
There was more discussion via email with him beyond what I posted in the comments, including drawings of suspension geometry, etc.

There's no need to take him very seriously.

Jeff

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
The title of this thread had me laughing. I was expecting a realistic thread of the common problems that we, as owners, could laugh about.

I love my old 88 auto n/a winter beater more than I like driving my brand new challenger. These cars just have character and soul.