10 reason MK3 Supras are garbage

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprarx7nut;1830460 said:
I'm sorry, I love the mk3 more than any healthy person really should, but the FD RX7 is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. The FD is like the gorgeous girl that walks in and makes the pretty hot other girls look ugly. Though I guess that's a predictable response given my screen-name...
Keeping in mind that the Rx7 and Supra were released very close to each other. Comparing an FD to a Mk3 is like comparing an FC to a Mk4. ;)

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
6 of the 10 points (7M is garbage, it's heavy as piss, red interior is terrible, and aftermarket styling is pathetic) are actually extremely true and anyone arguing otherwise is just incorrect. 2 of the points are just straight up wrong (suspension design is actually great, targa top is an OPTION only), and the remaining 2 points imo are a "who cares".

The A70 supra is nothing special, and there are deff some better 80's-90's platforms available from a straight performance aspect. But the A70 does have some great features that make it a fun car to own and a great alternative to a lot of the other cookie cutter 80's sport cars.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
The title should have been "10 reasons why the mk3 supra is garbage, in my opinion." (the opinion of the writer).

Most of the items are subjective to individual preferences and few of the points are factual (and wrong (suspension, weight etc.)).

Needless to say, I'm not going to let this guy's website bother me. It's his own opinion... lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
tErbo b00st;1830569 said:
6 of the 10 points (7M is garbage, it's heavy as piss, red interior is terrible, and aftermarket styling is pathetic) are actually extremely true and anyone arguing otherwise is just incorrect. 2 of the points are just straight up wrong (suspension design is actually great, targa top is an OPTION only), and the remaining 2 points imo are a "who cares".

The A70 supra is nothing special, and there are deff some better 80's-90's platforms available from a straight performance aspect. But the A70 does have some great features that make it a fun car to own and a great alternative to a lot of the other cookie cutter 80's sport cars.
7m's have a tendency to reflect the knowledge and dedication of their owners, they're only heavy if you compare them to pure sports cars (and even then only of the time they were made), styling is subjective... All in all man, I have a hard time saying that there was a better overall car made in the 80's. I will concede though, that burgundy interior is pretty nasty...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Poodles;1830333 said:
MKIV Supra ;) Don't remember seeing any solid comparisons of the MKIII's brakes.

There are plenty in the reviews (old magazines) tested that I posted.

Last edited:

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I Love supras mkii- mkiv, but have to admit the mkiii sucks because of the 7mbhg. If I had to put them in order it would be mkiv, then mkii, and lastly mkiii. So I have no problems with someone calling out the mkiii. It is what it is, but I still love them.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Yeah, it's really too bad Toyota didn't jump on fixing the head gasket problem right away in the 80's. I'm sure the car would have a better rep.

Either that or they should have replaced the 7M with the 1JZ in 89'. That would have helped just as much.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
destrux;1831127 said:
Yeah, it's really too bad Toyota didn't jump on fixing the head gasket problem right away in the 80's. I'm sure the car would have a better rep.

Either that or they should have replaced the 7M with the 1JZ in 89'. That would have helped just as much.

had they mirrored the decisions made in Japan for the A70, I personally believe it would have been a MUCH more popular car then and now.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
destrux;1831127 said:

Fixing what? Oh wow, you blow a headgasket wih a shimmed wastegate after 20 years and 100K+ miles :icon_roll

There was never a recall because it was never a problem with the car.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Poodles;1831361 said:
Fixing what? Oh wow, you blow a headgasket wih a shimmed wastegate after 20 years and 100K+ miles :icon_roll

Poodles didn't you here its all the 7M's fault :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
T701jz;1831062 said:
LOL....Only 10!?...How many are good?
All of the rest. ;)

Poodles;1831361 said:
Hey, even NA's blow head gaskets, but it's really not that uncommon of a failure point for a vehicle. I've seen BHG's on pretty much anything. About the only thing I haven't seen a BHG on is a rotory. :p

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
first time ive seen that. he sounds like some clueless kid. first big hint is he thinks his massive 2 years of experience with mk3s make him some kind of expert.....bahahhaahahhaaa

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
Can't help but to wonder what his "2 yrs experience" entailed. At best maybe some kind of oil changing grease monkey at the local Express Lube by the sound of his ranting.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
T3rril79;1831565 said:
Can't help but to wonder what his "2 yrs experience" entailed. At best maybe some kind of oil changing grease monkey at the local Express Lube by the sound of his ranting.

There are quite a few people around here that have been messing with these cars for longer that two years who I would rate at a knowledge level of "doesn't know their own ass from a hole in the wall". And no, I'm not naming names - do a little reading - they stick out like a sore thumb...

Results matter. Show me someone who's been messing with these cars for that long and can show you a string of failed, blown engines, and I'll show you someone who doesn't know what the fuck they are doing. I'm sure the author falls somewhere close to, if not in that category...