Stretch's Digidash thread

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I have, but it wasn't good enough for me, plus it required modification of the dash suport behind the cluster. My second version will be laid out better, have the extra temp gauge, and hopefully require no mods to dash. I am trying to mirror the rhd, which is impossible, but I can get pretty close. Unfortunately Toyota slanted their digital gauge prints which are embedded inside the glass modules, so they can't be flipped. That's why some gauges will stay slanting the wrong way unfortunately.
eric

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Ah OK I see what you are saying

Have to say I am impressed with the effort you are going to

Some people hate the digi dash but I love it

I have to say out of all the 80s Jap Digi Dashes the Supra one was the best because it was spread out over a large area and did not have too much gimicky useless stuff in it so it was functional and still looked really cool

The tachometer is hard to read but you get used to it.

And it looks awesome lit up at night!

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Exactly! It's got such a large space to fill, so Toyota used it well and made nice looking gauges that filled the space! Once I have some time/money again I'll order the pcb boards I need and start transfering the glass gauge pods over. I know some people don't like it that much, but I fell in love with the digital look, and I won't stop until I make a digidash that makes me happy :). I'll probably make more, but they won't be cheap. I'm a man of details, so it would be as close to a factory looking dash as you'll ever get ;).
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I'm actually really excited to get back working on this new idea for the cluster. I think it will look so much better :). I have to wait until my next osap payment in jan to buy the parts though, but that's coming up soon!

On a side note, I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled this morning. My first operation since I had one when i was just born. I love the drugs! My bottom lip/chin is still frozen 4-5 hrs later though.
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Not when people keep bumping it :p. I was going to eventually update it when I did more work on the dash. I'm finishing up some big projects for school end right now, etc... excuse excuse.
Final? Not dead, until I say so ;).
eric

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
zombie3.gif
thread

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Quiet you. Let it pass off page one, and drift deeper. Then when I have something spectacular to post, I will revive it!
eric

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
As you have been playing around with the digi dash alot you may be able to help me out

Is it possible to power up/use the satellite boards/guages without the main Speedo Tacho board being there.

ie does the main board only send power or is it generating signals too?

I am trying to figure out if its possible to just use the tems display bit and the water temp and also the oil pressure bit on their own.

Cheers

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
The issue is that the big main board gets all of the input from the dash wiring harness, and it is two layers of electronic components sandwiched together. It likely does swend signals to the two smaller boards, so I don't think you would be able to use just the small board without the main one, as you wouldn't be able to replicate the correct signals. Perhaps KniightRider would know for sure? He hobbled together some custom cluster using pieces of the digidash.
eric

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
They aren't impossible to get, I have two of them, and applesauce up there is selling another - they seem to show up every year, pretty much.

The problem is they are a massive effort to refit into a LHD dash, and that's if you are GOOD with electronics. If you're not really good with a soldering iron, it's a scary proposition to say the least.

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Exactly. You have to be good with small electronics as a mistake can cost hundreds of dollars :p. Thankfully, my electrical engineer of an old man is working with me on the hardware part of my cluster V2.0 so once he's done, I'll work on the outer casing and post progress pics. I'm just waiting on him to finish his part ;), then you will all see the future of 1987, today!
eric