Stretch's Digidash thread

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
He's not your last follower. :) I'm still keeping a close eye on this as well. I'm not sure how much - if ANY - of my digital dashes are going to go into the 2J car. I need some additional gauges, and I haven't been able to find much of anything that would fit with the digital components and look 'right'. Matching up to the analog dash, on the other hand, is pretty simple.

Never have liked taking the easy way out, though.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah it has been going on/off for some time now, thus why I want to finish it. I have said in the past that updates were only a month or so away, but this time it really should be soon because I have seen the progress with my own eyes heh. I'll post the photoshop pic if I get it tonight.
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Hey guys,
here's a pic of what the gauge cluster will look like once the electronics are in place! They are almost done so once the wires are connected there will be real pics of it and hopefully some pics of it lit up, we'll see what my dad has time for.
eric
p1727222_1.jpg

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Yea, I want it. And as MY father is an electrical engineer I may be able to :D. Did he rewire the gauges at all or what? It seems like if you could get the digidash rhd harness, you could splice it into the usdm harness right?

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, I do have a rhd digi dash harness but when I tried connecting it up with my previous version LHD conversion, it was missing some plug ends, of course, so I will have to source them. The plan here is simple: get native male plug ends for displays, use new male/female plugs to create jumper harness between stock lhd dash harness in car and new cluster side of harness, attach, enjoy!

The fact that my dad is an electrical engineer isn't of paramount importance, as anyone can do the electrical work. He's just much more skilled at it due to his past job experience and can work the desolder much better than I can. When I dried on a small display from my old digi, I bent many legs etc so it screwed it a bit. As for rewiring the gauges, you'll see just how tedious this project is when i post pics after receiving the finished electronics from him. It's not an over night job for sure.
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Good info Grim, I'll have to either try and have him source some for me, or buy yours when I can afford to, making an offer you cannot refuse :p
eric

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Stretch are you using your ma70 ECU and whatnot? I would be attempting this swap on a 2jz, so it may make it a bit harder :/

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
GrimJack;1727893 said:
Are you missing all the plugs? Or just select ones? I've actually got one spare, I think... for the small(ish) plug.

I believe I am missing many of them, and even if not I would still prefer to buy all new ones with new metal prongs as it is a new cluster. I can't check what I do have because my harness is back in Ottawa in storage. Did Dr Tweak source you all of the plugs or just some of them?

ask92: I'll be running it on the stuck ecu yes, but you should be able to use the 2jz ecu as long as you match up the wiring correctly.
eric

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
He only sourced one of the plugs for me - he found two possible matches, so I just bought them both. Considering the ease that he found mine, I don't think he'll have any problems finding the other two if you need them.

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Well, I figured a small update would be nice for anyone who's still curious.
Last weekend my dad came down here and we worked late into the eve on V2.0 of the digidash project. He was repositioning the small displays for me and we powered it up for the first time, and several times afterwards and it wasn't working out properly.

Proposed arrangement.

p1750056_1.jpg

Pics of the work that night.

p1750056_2.jpg

p1750056_3.jpg

Due to the difficulties in this version, we went back to the drawing board. Another, seemingly obvious and perfect in both simplicity and visual layout dawned on us that night. Here is a quick slap-chop courtesy of my dad. This is to become V3.0 of the dash and will go ahead into construction indeffinitely once I work some things out.

p1750056_4.jpg

So, for the next few weeks expect nothing as usual. I'll update the thread when V3.0 is in progress.
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Once I get this V3.0 up and done like the final pic there, I see no reason why I couldn't sling a few more out ;). It would all depend on availability of rhd clusters.
And yes, it has been awhile hasn't it. 7 years now I believe hahaa.
eric

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
oh dear god... I just found this thread via google... I would literally kill for this dash >_<. major props to you!! and much more if you find a way to offer this to others =D

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
As for the availability of digital dashes... might as well try to find an honest politician. Then again, I thought it would be impossible to find the rare metal centercaps for sawblades, but I eventually found a set from Estonia. LOL. Perhaps there is yet hope.