Kotu's bye bye ct26 build

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I made my decision, the car will wait to go get tuned, and i'm going to install everything.
My turbo is absolutely junk, theres soo much shaftplay i can see it wobble when i rev it up a lil bit.

Got the car running better by cleaning the plugs, so the next step is swapping them out for my iridiums.
Picked up a used ffim off a member here for a good deal so when that comes in that'll be going on and i'll be relocating the alt to the a/c position. So now i have to get a batt relocation kit so i can put it in the hatch.
As for the turbo, tomorrow i'm picking up a freshly rebuilt precision 6365 with H trim comp housing.
I'll also be swapping out the walbro for a DW300 pump so i can hit that 500hp number with no worries on going lean.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Finally have some pics for you guys!!!
p1808917_1.jpg

p1808917_2.jpg

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Updates!!!
Installed 880cc injectors with new o-rings and seals.
Relocated fuse box to under the fender and re-routed the wiring in front of the radiator instead of between it and the rad support.
Remounted the oil cooler while i was in there, i didnt like how the hoses were before.
Got the FFIM welded up to clear the brake booster, and banged out the fender so the q45 throttle body would fit.
Made a bracket for the throttle cable that bolts to the strut bolt.
Extended TPS plug so it reaches the TPS.
Clocked the turbo so the oil drain is facing down, and the elbow is facing the right direction.
Deleted CSI on the fuel rail.
p1815054_1.jpg

p1815054_2.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1815054_3.jpg

p1815054_4.jpg

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
tyang82;1815185 said:
Hey we have the same light. I bet you hate that it gets extra hot. But sexy build man.
$5 at home depot, i couldn't pass it up! I actually don't mind the excessive heat cuz its pretty cold in the garage so its like a personal space heater. :: sunshine :: Thanks for the kind words.

Today i got the turbo mounted on the new manifold, had to get longer bolts cuz i only had 2 studs that had enough thread with the extra spacer.
Also i realized i never compared the precision to the master power turbo.
Even though the Precision turbo is a 63mm it is a little larger in size over the 64mm Master Power. Wonder if this will change how the boost hits.
p1815557_1.jpg

I did get the turbo mounted on the manifold, You can now see where i hit the manifold in to fit the MP64, with the extra spacer this turbo has no problem clearing it.
p1815557_2.jpg

p1815557_3.jpg

Next is getting the oil feed and drain hooked up, as well as the down pipe.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Forgot to update last weekend.
We've been moving office at work so i've been beat and didnt have much ambition or energy to work on my car since the last update.
However i did finish bolting in the exhaust mani and turbo oil feed and drain. Also mounted batt box in the spare tire well and dropped the fuel tank.
I'll be going with a single dw300 pump intank and in the future when i decide to go e85 i'll add an a1000 externally. -8 teflon lines from the tank to rail, gonna use the stock return for now.
Hoping to finish up the fuel and batt tomorrow as well as bolting up the FFIM and hopefully turning it over. If it does start it'll be going to Wicked CAS in kingston NH for new IC piping to fit FFIM and then next door to Granite State Dyno to get setup and tuned on 93pump for a minimum of 500whp.

Trying to get it finished by april 15th so i can drive it to skip barber open house at Lime Rock track in CT.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Neglecting this thread again...
Weekend before last i brought the car to a shop in kingston NH to get finished up and tuned.
Today i made a trip up to drop of a couple parts and was met by some bad news....
They did a compression and leakdown test.
Cylinder Compression Leakdown
#1 180psi 10%
#2 180psi 10%
#3 180psi 10%
#4 150psi 50%
#5 170psi 10%
#6 180psi 10%

So they asked if i want to continue to move forward, which i am.
Don't have the money to have them fix it so i figure i'll just have them get it running and get the AEM tuned so i can drive it.

I'm hoping theres just a speck of something keeping the valve from sealing. He checked it with a boroscope but couldnt really see much. He thinks the valve is slightly bent causing the bad leakdown test, but assuming that the spring is pulling the valve shut more during the compression keeping the compression somewhat reasonable.

Opinions?
Advice?
Suggestions?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Car is STILL at the shop, 2 weeks worth of work turned into 2 months. I told them to stop doing all the small stuff they're doing to clean stuff up and just get the thing finished and running so it can get tuned.
So now its gonna be done and getting tuned in just about 3 weeks....
Im getting impatient, i swear this is the first and last time i ever let a shop take my car to do work.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
So the big day is this saturday, i went and saw the car on the 5th on my way home from a mini 4th of july vaca. Looked pretty good, wiring harness is wrapped up nice nice, intercooler piping looks awesome, intake tube looks good, still some small stuff to finish up but he said they were trying to get it started and aiming to have it finished up and on the dyno saturday the 14th. SWEET!!!!

Yesterday i called and left a voicemail cuz no one picked up, told them i was just checking to see if we're still on schedule for saturday so i can register and insure the car, but i dont want to do it if the car's not done in 7 days so i wont get in trouble for an expired inspection sticker. Didn't get a call back by 4:00pm today so i called to try and catch them before they left at 5:00.

Spoke to the lead mechanic at the shop, he told me they got the car running but it was running like crap because of the dead cylinder. Now to me 150psi is not a dead cylinder, even though the leakdown is bad it should still be able to run fine. I want to try and take a trip up there on thursday so i can hear the car running for myself.
Any ideas on what i should look for, or questions i should ask?
Any feedback in general?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Still dont have the car back, they did figure out the car was running like crap because of bad injector wiring, so it runs nice and smooth now.
Hoping to get the car back this weekend, but the way things have been goin im not gettin my hopes up.

On a side note, heres a quick vid of it running.
[video=youtube;GKYDmDdrMIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKYDmDdrMIE&list=UUldyV9VBsuoHVEmA9sbv_Iw&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
He didnt give me the exact numbers but said they were a lot better than before. So im guessing the engine is fine!

I just got off the phone with the shop, my car is officially done! I need to call the tuner tomorrow and schedule an appointment for hopefully this weekend to get a tune.
No big power numbers, i wanna put 1000 miles on the motor 1st before i do any big power runs. So it'll probably be a few days driving. :)

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
You don't have to guess. It was fine since the day I built it :) Just make sure you thank the shop for me for trying to throw me under the bus with cold compression/leakdown tests and bad wiring.

I am glad you got to the bottom of everything and am looking forward to see the results this weekend.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Goin to pick up my car tomorrow!!!!
Doing the initial setup and low boost tune so I can break the motor in before I do high boost.
Will get some pics and vids up ASAP!

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Whole bunch of fail happened yesterday...
So I get there and there's another mk3 on the dyno. Made 380whp, niiiice.
So my turn rolls around and one of the guys start my car to move it in. It barely starts and once it does it's runnin rough as all hell and pouring massive amounts I black smoke out the exhaust. Keep in mind 2 weeks ago it was running perfectly fine.
So he starts to tune it but can't make any progress. He does some troubleshooting and says that the aem ems is seeing 12v on the input but only 1.3 on the outputs. He says because of this he can't get any of the parameters where they need to be.
He supposed to do some more troubleshooting today to try and rule out the wiring as the problem. So basically he's tellig me I need to send my ecu back to aem an have them test it and fix if there's a problem....