Kotu's bye bye ct26 build

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
kotu100;2069649 said:
Realistically as long as there's no delays with the engine I'd like to be driving it in April.

I said this exact same thing in the summer of 2013. Haven't touched my car since. I'm sure you'll have yours going though. Good luck and keep us posted.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Thanks for following along guys.

Today I was able to get a work table in my garage and finished wiring up the lights in there.
Also pulled a spare front end assembly apart to salvage the steering rack. Going to clean it up and give it a fresh coat of paint, new inner and outer tie rods, and new rack bushings.

I need to finish cleaning the garage so i can start with the engine bay welding...

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Still plugging away at it.

Added new knock sensor wiring to the engine harness. Found some really nice shielded wire from aircraft spruce.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/el/wire.html
I just need to find some knock sensor plugs and terminals.

Also added the wiring for the boost solenoid.

Got some more holes filled in the engine bay.

Finally got the damn control arms off the front subframe and the bushings burnt then pushed out. My buddy is going to grab them and get them sandblasted for me.

I'm giving myself a deadline of March 20th to have the engine bay at least primed.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Didn't meet my priming deadline, the work is a bit more time consuming than originally anticipated.

The weather around me isn't ideal for painting either, would rather not risk it lifting in the future because i sprayed it too cold.

Good news, I've been expanding my tool collection and just added a 7.5hp 80gal air compressor.
I got 99 problems but air ain't one!

Hopefully the weather starts warming up a little so i can get some paint down.

p2072312_1.jpg

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Got super busy with working on the car I completely forgot to update you guys.

Lets see if i can pick up where i left off.

Soda blasted the engine bay

p2076309_1.jpg

p2076309_2.jpg

underside of fender wells got 2 coats of chassis saver. This stuff is super glossy and goes on real easy. This was brushed on.

p2076309_3.jpg

p2076309_4.jpg

Getting ready for primer. This was after the bare metal was treated with fast etch to chemically clean the metal in preparation for epoxy primer.

p2076309_5.jpg

I'm happy with the way the primer sprayed. This was my 1st time using Eastwood's Epoxy primer and will definitely use it again. I had to wait until it was halfway decent temp outside and ran a 4200W electric heater to keep the garage at least 65* Fahrenheit.

p2076309_6.jpg

After about a week of contemplating while finshing up some sanding work on the engine bay i decided to Change the color of the car yet again. I will be going Black, starting with the front end of the car.
Base/clear from sherwin williams auto. Extremely happy with the way it turned out as i only got a few small dust spots in easy to fix spots.
p2076309_7.jpg

Front subframe got blasted and received 2 coats of chassis saver along with the lower control arms and spindles. Cleaned the uppers and relubed all poly bushings. Installed new yellow RonnieK subframe bushings.

p2076309_8.jpg

Mounted front subframe with suspension and sleeper designs BBK.
p2076309_9.jpg

This is where i tucked the power steering res away.
p2076309_10.jpg

Meanwhile this whole time my short block has been getting finished up by a local who helped me tremendously.

p2076309_11.jpg

p2076309_12.jpg

p2076309_13.jpg

p2076309_14.jpg

p2076309_15.jpg

Now that the short block as been re assembled and all clearances spec'd I can start reassembly of the long block.
p2076309_16.jpg

Welded the spacers on the cheapo manifold so i don't have leaks there anymore, while i was at it i welded nuts in the spacer so I can use the stock exhaust studs for that. Exhaust studs got drilled and helicoiled for the 7/16 kit from driftmotion.
p2076309_17.jpg

New HKS stopper MHG and all the accessories slapped on via the power of the internet.
p2076309_18.jpg

Trying to figure out my new brake lines since the non-abs hardlines have been discontinued from toyota. Freshly painted Non-ABS booster and cleaned master.
p2076309_19.jpg

Tucked the harness wires up under there so the car doesn't catch fire again.
p2076309_20.jpg

I need to find a solution for this water neck to clean it up a bit. All these plugs are a bit much.
p2076309_21.jpg

Almost ready to go, just finishing up some wiring.
p2076309_22.jpg

A buddy came by and helped my shoehorn it all in. No scratches!!!!! :) yayimsohappy
p2076309_23.jpg

Don't need pics of putting the rad and piping and all that jazz so here's basically the finished product. I'm still trying to figure out my catch can but that's the only thing missing.
p2076309_24.jpg

Once I had all the accessories and everything bolted up and oil in the engine and trans I called my g/f outside to film my 1st start-up attempt and here are the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Wp00Kf0II

Next day i went to take her for the 1st drive. Made it to the top of my street then disaster! My throwout bearing hub decided it didn't want to hold the snap ring in place anymore. Had to push her back in and get back under the knife.... *sigh*
p2076309_25.jpg

p2076309_26.jpg

p2076309_27.jpg

And now here we are. I Just finished replacing the entire hub/bearing assembly and bolted everything else back on. Hopefully tomorrow everything goes smooth on the maiden voyage and I can get some better pics and video during break in.

Thanks for stopping by!

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Maiden voyage went ok, car died in the middle of a major intersection thanks for a defective relay holder not supplying power to my fuel pump relay.

I feel like i'm still having an electrical issue. When i turn my blinker on the parking brake light dims a lot. but when i turn my hazards on it barely dims.
I can hear my fuel pump voltage fluctuating with the blinker even tho the fuel pump gets its power direct from the battery. The ecu pulls the relay to ground so not sure how this is happening.