Kotu's bye bye ct26 build

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Ya i know about Driftmotion, figured it would be easier to just bring them someplace fairly local and i can get them back in just a couple days.
I'm hanging in there, i've been telling myself it'll be worth it for the last 4 years lol. Hopefully 2013 will be my year. :)

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Well I've been failing at this build...
Since November the car has been parked in my grandma's garage away from the elements and I've been driving my srt-4. I miss the big turbo and RWD and just driving a supra in general.

Once I sell my 92 i'm gonna bring this bitch back to my house and get started on her again.
Soon..... very soon.....

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Decided to do a compression test to see if I really do have a BHG
1- 160
2- 160
3- 160
4- 165
5- 170
6- 165

So it looks like i'm in the clear.

My "custom" coolant overflow was made incorrectly and doesn't have a hose going into the coolant, it just ends at the cap. So when the cooling system tries to fill itself back up with coolant its getting air instead.
Thanks Wicked Cas..... fuckin pricks.

I believe the vented catch can is causing the condensation showing up under the oil cap.
Theres no white smoke and the car doesn't over heat so all signs point to no BHG.
YAAAAAY!!!!

Onto troubleshooting the fuel issue, when I removed my spark plugs after warming the engine up to operating temp I noticed the #6 plug was much more black than the other.
Doesn't this mean more unburnt fuel?

So I've removed the injectors and am going to get them cleaned and flow tested. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Dyno appointment July 18th at Granite State Dyno. WOOOOOT!!!

Sent the injectors out to the guys at Marren fuel injection in CT. They only had them for 2 days and they were sent back out on the 2nd day.
All the injectors flowed within spec but one didn't have a good spray pattern. Good thing I got that taken care of before repeated high boost runs.

Replaced the aeromotive frp for a fuelab unit.
My fuel pressure still drops quickly but not instantly like before. Hoping I got my fuel pressure issue figured out.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
[video=youtube;diIjq-bRKTQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diIjq-bRKTQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUldyV9VBsuoHVEmA9sbv_Iw[/video]

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Went to the dyno Friday, was hoping the break up over 4k was a tune issue. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.
My tuner Alex was able to tune the drivability so at cruising and part throttle it drives a lot smoother. Left the dyno kind of disappointed, but oh well....

Today I decided to check the air gap on the trigger wheel in the CPS. It looks like a sizable gap so I closed it up a little bit.
No more missing. :)
YAY!!!

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Update:
Missing was caused by the 2jz-ge coils not the cps...
Stock coils back in and it pulls clean.

Dyno day again yesterday and did 409whp 370wtq at 13psi. Then my piece of shit southbend clutch bent a strap...
Goin RPS or ACT now.

gonna wait to install the new 1pc alum driveshaft till i fix the clutch....

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Decided to overhaul pretty much my entire drivetrain.
Shaftmasters 1pc alum driveshaft (already have)
ACT extreme pressure plate (will be used with existing feramic full face disc.)
All the MC goodies and DM rebuild kit for r154
Solid pinion spacer and wier stage 1 lsd kit for the rear end.

Should be good to go after that.

[video=youtube;xnR07fcxVQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnR07fcxVQU[/video]

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Long overdue update:
Havent really done too much with the Supra lately. I've been struggling with electrical issues.
Plus since I got my BRZ the supra has been put on the back burner. Not a lot of funds for 2 money pits.

The engine bay harness with the fuse box will be getting replaced, I messed with my stock one and put the fusebox behind my foglight. Well I think this was allowing water to get into the plugs and corrode the contacts as well as everything else in there.
Hopefully when that comes in and swapped out it will fix the issues.

Also I'm collecting the parts I need to build a new engine harness from scratch.

'90mk3

Apr 9, 2014
Orlando, Fl
On page 5 your pic that shows the Bosch bypass valve, my question is that hooked up backwards? If so, have you tried it both ways to see which way behaves better for the turbo? Just curious since I just got the same one for my ct26 60 trim. Rebuild is just about finished. Waiting on my throwout bearing to install my clutch and tranny. Then the fun begins...

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I never realized but I did have it backwards.
You'll want to put it the other way so the pressurized air doesn't force it open.

gemiz

Jun 1, 2009
>Norway
kotu100;1365694 said:
oh and new update for today, took the wheels that came on the car, cleaned em up and sprayed em black.

i dont wanna ruin the other wheels so i have some nice ones for when i get my srt-4 fixed.

p2038743_1.jpg

p2038743_2.jpg

p2038743_3.jpg

p2038743_4.jpg

p2038743_5.jpg

p2038743_6.jpg

p2038743_7.jpg

What kinde of wheels are those? Looks awesome

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
So here we are a year later and some shit is going down.
Lets see if i can pick this up where i left off....

After fixing the issues caused by the fusebox I put my focus toward getting the engine to run 100%. There was always that fuel issue and electrical problem that plagued me. The coolant temp would have random spikes and my tuner said that there was a lot of noise in the sensors that he couldnt work around.
I believe i found the culprit to be a coolant temp sensor actually grounded to chassis ground and not the dedicated sensor ground.
p2069629_1.jpg

Unfortunately I was unable to put this to the test. The whole reason The harness came out in the 1st place was because the engine had to come out courtesy of a messed up oil pump driveshaft. So out comes the 7M again....

p2069629_3.jpg

p2069629_4.jpg

p2069629_5.jpg

I know i've said in the past that i was done with it if i had any more problems but call me stubborn. I want to drive this damn car the way i intended to and that doesnt include a JZ!

I found someone local to me that i believe i can trust as he's made some big strides with the 7M. Currently the engine is getting:
Wiseco pistons .050 over
upgraded wrist pins
new toyota oil pump (last one in the us!)
arp head inserts
new oil pump driveshaft

Once the engine comes back it will be getting a fresh set of ARP heat studs to hold down onto a HKS stopper mhg. New oil cooler and lines to make sure none of that shit makes it back into the engine and bearings.

Loaded it up and trailered it to my garage at home so i can work on it easier.
p2069629_6.jpg

Next up is the fuel system. Currently with the 880cc injectors and AEM 320lph I should be good to at least max out 93 octane before i run out of fuel. I could never figure out what the damn issue was until my brother suggested pulling the fuel pump hanger assembly out and blowing some 35psi compressed air into the -8an bulkhead outlet. Sure enough air bubbles coming from where the soft line is clamped over the hardline. When I welded the hardline onto the bulkhead I had to cut it to fit and never put a lip on it. Big thanks to Abe at Kaizen tuning in MA he was able to put a nice bead on the tubing for me. This will get assembled and tested soon.
p2069629_7.jpg

All this work being done to the engine just leaves the engine bay all empty and looking like shit honestly. The oil leak from the oil pump driveshaft and power steering rack leak have basically covered the bay and underside of the car in a nice slick of rustproofing crap.
p2069629_8.jpg

Plans for the engine bay include filling all the useless holes and stitch welding the seams, fixing the rad support where i hacked behind the lights to clearance for the projector plugs, and fix the fender well where i smashed the shit out of it to get the throttle body to fit. Fenders are coming off as well and the ENTIRE front end of the car from the cowl forward will be getting fresh white paint. Its been below 40F degrees lately and no heat in the garage yet means no work getting done. I have managed to strip the bay 95% of the way and it shows how I slacked when i painted it before.

ABS has been removed and I'm currently looking at alternate brake booster options. Mine was dented and i'd rather replace it with a smaller unit if possible. I've read something about the MR2 one fitting but im not sure which. I know i do have to get a non-abs master so everything works correctly.

The front subframe has been pulled and RonnieK yellows ordered to match the rears. In process of cutting the rusty ass camber bolts off to get everything disassembled and cleaned so i can inspect and see what needs replacing.
p2069629_9.jpg

Thats where i stand today, almost feels as if i never even got it running at all. I will be worth it when its all said and done.

Last edited:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Rollus;2069634 said:
Hello,

I've just discovered your thread. Nice build and nice progress.

Good luck, and see you next year (haha)

Thanks.
Damn that's a cheap shot. :biglaugh:

Realistically as long as there's no delays with the engine I'd like to be driving it in April.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Glad to see the your still making progress................I know the never-ending build feeling.

I am 100% with you on the 7M stubbornness, JZ swaps seem like the norm now days.............If we wanted easy we would own a different car than the MKIII. Same goes if we cared about were dyno #s but the passion is in the process not the end result. The MKIII is an uncommon car and I would like under the hood to be uncommon as well.