Gm Transmission Kit Oh ya!!

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
wow, that thing looks like it's gonna be fun, love all that institutional gray..... looks all business

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
dbsupra90 said:
its been a week- update update! :)

Haha! Alright man, I was planning on putting up a small one today anyway! lol!

Update
I'm getting used to this thing, and the more I drive it the more I like it. The 1-2 shift is so firm that if I don't have my foot to the floor I get thrown back hard enough it comes off the throttle between shifts!!

I still don't have my damn tach hooked up (need to find my EMS instructions and see where the tach output is on the box (read: I'm lazy). Also, I need to order my 90 degree eblow for my speedo so that I can get a vss signal to my EMS as right now the car is running silly rich down the highway. I think I'll check into both of these things this afternoon as I have a bit of spare time.

I was wanting to go to the local (45-60 minutes away) 1/8th mile track today and start learning how to launch this thing, but It looks like it may rain and Carl can't go (which means no trailer) so if something was to break it's be an expensive tow back home!

So far it looks like this is going to work quite well. If things continue to go well we'll be ready to start production before long. I'll be finding out the exact cost for the plates soon. Once I know the cost I'd like to take deposits from people who are willing to put them down. How many of you think you're up to it??

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
sounds awesome man! thanks :)

im still interested in what your rpms are around town and on the highway. i spend most of my time on the highway at ~75mph. bout what is your rpm at that speed? what rear end? what height tire?

you gots a pm

dave

fstoy

Soon to be Evil Twin
Mar 30, 2005
Texas
I am intrested in the plate! Keep me posted Grant.

BTW~It looks AWESOME!

David Z

Question- Is the DS shorter or longer than a one piece aluminum DS?

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Wow! I dont really like automatics for one reason: backroads driving.

But on the straight strip...this set up would be SUPER fun! How fast and smooth do those TH trannies shift? I have never personally road in a car with one....though the Buick Grand National might of had something CLOSE to it. :icon_conf

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Ok, so we've got 4 people who are seriously interested so far. That's a start!

Siman, my particular trans is fully built for drag racing so it shifts incredibly quickly, and incredibly firmly. At half throttle on the 1-2 shift it hits so hard my foot comes off the pedal for a moment, and the bov flutters! I wouldn't call it smooth. However, with a stock or mildly built one it would shift smoother and softer.

David Z, I'm honestly not sure if the stock ds is shorter or longer. I'll measure my stocker this week sometime and find out. When I started calling around about drive shafts noone wanted to modify my existing aluminum one, maybe you'll have better luck.

Update: I got my tach working today! It should've worked when I installed the gauges, but a slight oversight delayed it a bit. No worries, it took 10 minutes and is all good now! I still don't have a speedo, so this isn't exactly accurate, but...While following traffic in a 55 mph zone I'm turning about 2500 rpm. I'll get more accurate info once I get the speedo going and measure my tire height. Also, I have a 3:73 rear.

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Jim, I got your email. I'll get back tomorrow, it's going to take a bit to type out everything that I will need to and I really need to get a shower and get to bed. You're correct though, something's not right judging by your email. Sorry for the delay, I hope you understand.

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Glad to see you guys are still interested in this!

Unfortunately I have had no time to drive my car letalone get the speedo working. We have talked with the machine shop about the plates and it will take about 1 month from the time we say go untill they are done. We still need to figure the final cost on everything, but that's about it. We're probably going to knock out the upper i/c piping kit this week, and get back on the trans kit immediately after that.

If any of you are within a decent driving distance there will be a meet at the Speed-Source shop on July 16th. Come on over and I'll take you for a rip! Then you can get a firsthand experience of what this trans is like in a MKIII.

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Update:

I've been wanting to get to the track with this trans, and I finally did yesterday. I drove the car the 2+ hours there, raced, and drove the 2+ hours back.
If Carl's speedo is accurate in his van 65 mph=3500 rpm. Tire size is 275-35/18. Rear gear is 3:73. Taller tires will lower the cruise RPM.

Well, about the racing...

Last year my best pass was 12.6@118. After driving all the way there I shut the car off for about 30 minutes while we set-up our booth. Then I went and teched in, and made my first pass. 12.23@112. I ran a second 12.23, a 12.26, and a 12.4 also. My best short time was only a 1.86.

With some more practice this car will easily break the 11's without any major changes. I'm still running low boost on pump gas, and 18 inch wheels. I think with some 15 inch wheels, better tuning, high boost, race gas, and maybe setting up the 2-step mid 11's are in sight.