Gm Transmission Kit Oh ya!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
oneandgone said:
Update!!!

I ordered my drive shaft today. It should be done tomorrow and be here by the end of the week. If all goes well and I get some spare time I should be driving it by the end of the week!!
LOL Snap Grant I dropped my driveshaft in today as well! ;)

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
dbsupra90 said:
btw- who built your tranny, what stall do you have and you using a manual valve body? what shifter and is it fwd or rev valve?

dave

Trans was built by J+W out of Florida. Reverse manual valve body. Cheetah turbo action shifter. Stall should be somewhere just under or right about at 3000. The converter comes with one free adjustment within a year.

Ian, getting close too I see! lol! I was just reading your thread earlier. :drink1:

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
oneandgone said:
Allan, you are correct in the fact that more gas will be burnt. I think Chevy said it best, his tow vehicle has o/d. I personally do plan to install a Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive unit eventually. The main reason is b/c I want to drive this car to the Vegas meet and that's a long haul with only 3 gears.

I think Chevy is also correct about the Toyo auto not being reliable enough. It will never be able to harness 6, 7, or 800 hp+, no matter what you do. I wasn't motivated to do this because I have tons of money or time. I was motivated because I'm tired of spending money to keep a trans in this car. I've been through 3 in the last 2 summers and it's getting quite expensive. I just removed what was my fourth, and I have no doubt that it would break in a month if I were to keep using it. I installed it only to go to a couple meets/shows, and get the car from my work to the Speed-Source shop. If I break this TH-400 I'll have to blame operator error! lol!

If it's not for you, or you're not interested that's fine. To each his own. But please, don't knock down what I've personally spent several months and a few thousand dollars to make happen. Besides, if I can get ahold of a 700R I'll put together a kit for it. Then you can have an o/d trans that can reliably support over 500hp, and not need a yearly rebuild! :bigthumb: See, I'm on your side! lol!!

Dude dont get me wrong i love your work i just wish to play devils advocate and understand your reasoning and motivation, did you have your toyota auto's shift kitted and a LARGE trans cooler? i have heard of people puting 1000hp thru JZA80 autos (basicly the same with only a few revised internals) and not needing yearly rebuilds!

Im shure the turbo 350/400 will be perfect for your needs and it will be all good

P.S i wish gear vendors made a housing for the A340 trans id love to have a split on each gear! in that way you will have a 6 speed!

Allan

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
I was running a large B+M Supercooler, but no shift kit. The auto died when I was making under 400 rwhp though, and literally lasted 2000 miles. Regardless, the built autos are only rated to 500, and that doesn't sound like much of a deal for the money to me. The MKIV auto is a different box, and I'm betting that they put 1000 through it, but how many times?

I agree, the Gear Vendors units are very cool. The 400 can be split 3 times for 6 forward gears also. I'd be happy with just once though, as o/d would be a nice addition on long trips.

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Update

Swap is nearly complete. My d/s should be here tomorrow, other than that I just lack a handfull of minor details. I think everything should be a go with a couple of hours work.

I did run into one problem this evening that's worth mentioning...

I never test fit the downpipe untill tonight. I'm running a deep aluminum pan, and the Lightning Motorsports down pipe...apparently the two clash a bit! lol! I've never been happy with the fitment of my dp as it was always too low and too close to the trans. I actually had to dimple it in one place to get it on the car when I first bought it.
Anyhow, the d/p wouldn't go on with the deep pan, but it would fit with a shallow pan. I wanted to use the deep one though, so I cut up the d/p and reworked it so that it would fit.
Seeing as how I was never happy with the fitment anyway I really don't mind. Now it sits nice and high, doesn't want to hit the trans, and overall looks much better than it did before.

I just thought I should make a note of it before anyone bought a deep aluminum pan that may or may not fit with the d/p they're using. Other ones may not have this problem, but I really have no way of knowing for sure.

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Update

It lives!! I pretty much finished everything up tonight and went for a couple short rides. I also did a nice smoky burnout! lol! All I can say is this thing feels great so far. The downshifts are much smoother than I expected, which is nice. The upshifts are crisp and firm. It's actually quite a bit smoother of a ride than it ever was with the 5-spd.

It's funny, I thought I had cured the majority of my traction problems with the DR's, but apparently I have them again. It's definately going to take some heat to get them to hook off the line. I haven't done any full throttle pulls yet, but from what I've felt so far I'm very happy.

Now I just need to plumb my line lock, and wire the activation switch for the trans brake. The only thing left after that is to modify my console and I'm 100% done.

Let the testing begin!!

z1turbo

Apr 24, 2005
lenexa kansas
s4.photobucket.com
oneandgone said:
Update

It lives!! I pretty much finished everything up tonight and went for a couple short rides. I also did a nice smoky burnout! lol! All I can say is this thing feels great so far. The downshifts are much smoother than I expected, which is nice. The upshifts are crisp and firm. It's actually quite a bit smoother of a ride than it ever was with the 5-spd.

It's funny, I thought I had cured the majority of my traction problems with the DR's, but apparently I have them again. It's definately going to take some heat to get them to hook off the line. I haven't done any full throttle pulls yet, but from what I've felt so far I'm very happy.

Now I just need to plumb my line lock, and wire the activation switch for the trans brake. The only thing left after that is to modify my console and I'm 100% done.

Let the testing begin!!

Have you gotton on the highway to see what rpm is with your 3.73 gears, im really anxious to know.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
oneandgone said:
Update

I haven't done any full throttle pulls yet, but from what I've felt so far I'm very happy.

Let the testing begin!!

500 miles first. That was the break in miles on my buddies 350 we put in his GN. Dont get to happy on the go peddle and have an impropper break in.

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
z1turbo said:
Have you gotton on the highway to see what rpm is with your 3.73 gears, im really anxious to know.

Not yet. That's something else I'm waiting on that I forgot to mention...I need a 90 for the speedo. I just need to get off my ass and get it coming.

outofstep said:
500 miles first. That was the break in miles on my buddies 350 we put in his GN. Dont get to happy on the go peddle and have an impropper break in.

In most cases that would be correct. However, I called J+W to be sure and was told to get in and let her eat. They broke it in on the dyno before shipping, so it's good to go. I'll still take it easy for a while though.
I'm hoping to get to drive it some more today and clean it up, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Also, I'm not sure if I can get there tomorrow either.

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Ken, I think we were posting at the same time there! Thanks!

I forgot to mention...We whipped up a couple other things while this swap was going on. I had to have somewhere to mount the dipstick so I started looking into making a bracket. I haven't had a heat sheild for the turbo for a while now, so I combined the two. I made a cardboard template, then Carl walked me through the rest of it. I'm pretty new to sheet metal fabrication, so I learned a few things on this.

Also, we went ahead and made a set of sway bar end links, or rather I mentioned them to Carl and he just ordered everything and threw them on when I wasn't looking! lol! I guess I can't bitch too much about that now can I?!

Anyway, on to the pics!!

Attachments

• GM Trans Kit 17.jpg
    GM Trans Kit 17.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 84
  • GM Trans Kit 18.jpg
    GM Trans Kit 18.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 86
  • End Links 2.jpg
    End Links 2.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 83

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Fo sho! The only thing we didn't really like about them is the coupler sleeve. It could be just a bit shorter. We talked about selling these as kits and making our own sleeve, but I don't think there's enough of a demand. Plus, anyone can make these, it doesn't take a rocket scientist.