Flateric's, Rocket Red Road Sled!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was considering that hood as well. I just couldn't fit in the extra cost yet with the body/paint. Do you ever drive around town? I have not seen this car on the street at all. (mind you... I am SE, you may be NW.. lol)

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well the hood itself has only been on the car for the last 3 days and limited driving with all the rain and all.

But I am trying hard to make it to race city this evening. Why don't you come down and introduce yourself!

I also am in the SE, Bonavista actually. Would love to hook up with someone nearby for a little knowledge sharing etc.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
wow can't believe I haven't come across this thread before and I'm local to you. I heard of some mean mk3's in calgary but have only really heard of GrandAvi's until now. Seems like they're all in hiding when I go up their haha Hopefully this summer I make up to calgary with my car, unless I end up doing a summer build before winter although not driving your car in season is depressing.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Haven't heard from Flateric for over a year. I think I was talking to him on text beginning of 2013 as I was sourcing out parts.
I think there are about 6 Supra people in Calgary (including Airdrie-Cochrane-Okotoks). I have met a few so far.

Its odd... I have sold a 90 Red MK3. No idea where it is now. then I sold a White 88 MK3.. no idea where that is now either... but it was a son/dad thing so it may be being built still. After that, I sold a 87 Blue MK3 coupe to Turkey (on Alberta Supra Forums) and that car was killed deader than dead by people jumping on it and writing all over it. I bought a 87 Blue MK3 coupe which is in my garage after being totaled by a texting GMC driver... then I bought a 89 Red MK3 (only auto I have owned) and sold it to a guy which I see from time to time tooling around on the roads.. but the guy bought it to drive.. not a Supra-nut like me...
I have a 88 MK3 targa (red) that I bought for my son, but gave him my Tundra instead because snow + Supra is not my recommendation.. lol. So I own 3 MK3's at the moment until I get rid of the 87 MK3 in my garage and sell the 88 I bought for my son.

Between me and my friend Tyler.. we may have touch all the "buyable" Supra's in Calgary.. lol. Because of its age, you think that the car would be disappearing about now, but there are still some owners hiding them. The Calgary Supra community seems to be much smaller than the Edmonton one.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I was just enjoying reading over your thread (which is a great read, BTW :D) but I noticed something I just inquired about the other day. (well half of it anyhow) I noticed you took the trim off of your 89+ tail-lights. I was contemplating doing this and trying to use the 88 trim on the center light instead. Car actually looks good without the trim there period, lol. :cool:

SupraDave87

May 5, 2010
Glendale CA 91204
Quick question... You have a 2jz in yours now and have the shaft masters aluminum driveshaft in it? How much power are you running? I'm swapping a 2jzgte into my soup and wanted to know how much the drive shaft holds...? Thanks for your time...

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
At my best I have just over 600RWHP, funny you ask this as I was just inspecting it today. Seems to be holding really well. No signs of anything I have any concerns about and it went right back in.

And now for an update.

Well, a few new things have happened with my car.

I recently dropped the ls1 coils from my setup and went with a cleaner and stronger LQ9 (ls2 coils with aluminium fins on top for cooling) coils and brackets from MOJO performance. Really slick kit and comes with a very clean harness also. Highly recommend it.

I swapped a fresh R154 in that has zero KM on it and all the nice marlin parts inside. Nothing wrong with my old stock r154, but it has been on my car since day one without one rebuild so I figured it was time. It served me really well with well over 17 years of at the very least double stock power going through it and many drag race weekends. Never missed a beat.

Also swapped in a fresh rear diff, again I was still using my original one from new. It was however beginning to complain and grunt and groan and rattle so this was a must. After seeing what a failed LSD has done to some peoples cars when it failed I didn't want any part of that.

Totally stripped out my wiring harness and pruned all the wires from it that my 2J was not using and just complicating the rats nest in my passenger side footspace. I also had some odd injector issues going on and traced it down to a pinched harness. I figured why not start and clean house wiring wise.

My wideband O2 sensor was acting up and so I picked up a failsafe boost wideband gauge combo from AEM, putting that in right now. Really nice crisp display on it and it offers inbuilt logging and hooks nicely to my AEM series 2 ECU.

That is where I sit currently. I'll take her for a spin tomorrow if all goes well for me buttoning it all up.

I have come across some JIC coil overs by chance and wonder if anyone has tried these and what they think of them. One thing I noticed immediately is they are WAY lighter than my current worn bilstien H&R spring combo. So more weight off the car always makes me happy. I'm also considering finding some new wheels, something with a nice fat lip and lighter than the momo's I have had on for a LONG time.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't think I have seen your car live yet. The Supra people in town were pretty active this year, we did a Kananaskis run and a couple car shows. My car isn't complete yet, but was drivable for the summer so far. The major drivetrain issues are almost all solved. Shoild lete know if your going to go for a cruise. I may be able to come follow you. :D

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'd love to meet up anytime man!

What kinda drivetrain issues are you having, maybe I can help.

I went to go for a spin today and had little things crop up. Trying to fix a oil leak right now, top oil line high pressure to the turbo.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No real problems, other than I need a retune on the VPro now that I have AC. Waiting on my R154 to swap from Jack Transmission... Steady bearing needs replacement and I need to redo all control arms because they bushings are froze.

The car has a lot of power potential but in wary of going over 400 Rwhp with a stock head and COOP 91 octane. Definitely putting a QSV on though.. 4000 rpm spool up on the 6262 is just a bit late for a 7M.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I ran over 400rwhp on my stock 7m head for many many years with my HKS fcon vpc setup no problems. Not stock HG though.

Quickspool is going to be on my next order of items for sure as well. The only thing holding me back on that this year was that I didn't feel like redoing my downpipe since the QS raises the turbo outlet by about an 1" or so. I've also gotta get some 264 cams back in the motor, I really miss them. And I still have not picked and purchased a clutch, every time I am about to I hear a horror story about the one I settle on. Noise, premature failure, poor engagement, etc.

I was thinking HKS 264's again for cams, but have heard that there may be better now, GSC's I think?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was looking at 272's for mine but am still researching and deciding. When I had my turno put on I put a .75" spacer just in case so I don't have to rework anything.
As for 400 RWHP, I'm not quite sure how much crank that is, but I only built for approx. 700, so with the setup I have, 400 is reasonably safe. Plus I'm finding out that this amount of oower is almost impossible to use legally... Lol.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm not too keen on 272's due to the fact they make the engine an inter-FEAR-ance setup. Also you lose power down in the bottom but gain more up top. The 264's give power throughout over stock and don't add the fear part, lol.

Legally? Come on, all that extra power is for merging safely into traffic on deerfoot trail, or to pass on the highway, right!? :p

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Lol... True. You don't need power to pass on Deerfoot... You need good brakes and clutch...

Interference on the 7m doesn't bother me too much because it's the kind of engine that will run forever if properly built. I would probably build the head and swap them later, but that's not going to be anytime soon. The reality of the car is that it all feels pretty good at its current power levels. People get a bit too obsessed with power... I want more of a "drive feel". The QSV is needed for that because it should put the spool low enough to be better suited for the car.
I kind of miss that quick boost of the ct26. It's well suited to the car really. Just was a bit too small for the engine.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Lol... True. You don't need power to pass on Deerfoot... You need good brakes and clutch...

Interference on the 7m doesn't bother me too much because it's the kind of engine that will run forever if properly built. I would probably build the head and swap them later, but that's not going to be anytime soon. The reality of the car is that it all feels pretty good at its current power levels. People get a bit too obsessed with power... I want more of a "drive feel". The QSV is needed for that because it should put the spool low enough to be better suited for the car.
I kind of miss that quick boost of the ct26. It's well suited to the car really. Just was a bit too small for the engine.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
The thing I really enjoyed about the 57 trim was that I didn't have to downshift to make passing easy. I just leaned on it a little then boost came on and I went around, can't comment on how it passes with the zeta 3.2 as it's not fully back together yet.