Flateric's, Rocket Red Road Sled!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Man, an epic day for getting things done to the car.

Finally finished my shim adjustments.
Got the intake mani with the huge boost leak that is fixed remounted.
Made the BOV elbow all shiny.
Got my fancy new injector clips finished and hooked up nicely
Started running my stainless fuel system.
Changed my oil out to full synthetic since I'm well outa breakin now.
Cleaned up my wiring harness in the engine bay with the Tec-weave I got yesterday.
Polished up my Intake side cam cover and threaded it for the stainless PCV system.
Polished the intake mani and TB.

And I still feel like doing more, why because I'm crazy....actually, I can feel the burnout wall coming in fast so I'm gonna pack up roll the car in and finish it up for tomorow.

I'll take a pic of the engine bay while I am out there, after I eat.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Flateric;1612829 said:
Man, an epic day for getting things done to the car.

Finally finished my shim adjustments.
Got the intake mani with the huge boost leak that is fixed remounted.
Made the BOV elbow all shiny.
Got my fancy new injector clips finished and hooked up nicely
Started running my stainless fuel system.
Changed my oil out to full synthetic since I'm well outa breakin now.
Cleaned up my wiring harness in the engine bay with the Tec-weave I got yesterday.
Polished up my Intake side cam cover and threaded it for the stainless PCV system.
Polished the intake mani and TB.

And I still feel like doing more, why because I'm crazy....actually, I can feel the burnout wall coming in fast so I'm gonna pack up roll the car in and finish it up for tomorow.

I'll take a pic of the engine bay while I am out there, after I eat.

PICS MAN!! :)

I can't wait to see the updated bay!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The engine shot is a not ready for prime time shot but you asked for it so there ya go. The molding shot is from the garage at night, I'll shot a better shot up here if I can ever find a sunny day again.

Attachments

• motor..jpg
    motor..jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN0119..jpg
    DSCN0119..jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 99

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
While poking around under my car I noticed that my swaybar link on my suspension had nearly cracked completely off. Which I am sure would have been a very bad thing if it had broken while taking a corner hard. Fixed it up with a little weld, but here's the before picture anyways.

Attachments

• swaybar_cracked..jpg
    swaybar_cracked..jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 63

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
Flateric;1617251 said:
While poking around under my car I noticed that my swaybar link on my suspension had nearly cracked completely off. Which I am sure would have been a very bad thing if it had broken while taking a corner hard. Fixed it up with a little weld, but here's the before picture anyways.

Dude that is pretty bad ass lol good thing you cought that in time

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So I was just messing around with my vynil cutter after giving it the summer off and came up with this in about 20 mins. Totally a rough draft, not at all happy with the text and it's flow in the graphic. But kinda fun anyways. Not bad for a before breakfast project anyways.

Attachments

• supramania_snailB.jpg
    supramania_snailB.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 96

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Some further progress on my vinyl Supramania snail.

Workin out the letter spacing and distortion a bit better than before.

Also wanted to see how small I could effectively cut it out at. I would say this is about the smallest for sure as you can see the rounding out of the letters and other sharp corners due to the blade needing to rotate as it cuts. The change is there for a idea of size.

VINYL SUPRAMANIA_SN&.jpg

Ronald

Oct 16, 2007
Cleveland OH
Great build thread, is that really the engine bay sneak peak? That is FREAKIN awesome! Can't wait to see the whole deal.

Also love the vinyl snail --- should make a handful and sell 'em on here!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well I finally got to the track this evening and made a bunch o runs. It's weird but I seem to be having the most traction issues in my mid to top end of 4th gear. It starts getting loose and I have to let off. Don't really understand this myself. But not a bad night overall, 12.9 @ 111MPH. A number of things could be and will be improved upon.

I need to adjust my camber so that my contact patch isn't so messed up and only really using the inside edges of the tires. Unfortunately this means ordering up some new camber bolts since my old ones are seized on and will require being cut off.

I need a set of slicks. I was running a mostly worn out set of 285 street tire that are around 4-5 years old.

Clutch did ok, for a pressure plate that is over 14 years old mated to a 6 puck ceramic, but slipped a fair bit here and there including in the far upper end of forth gear along with when my tires started getting loose.

The last one is beyond my control and that is the temp last night. It was a crisp 8c and while this is great for boost and power it is less than optimal for grip clearly. Winter is real close here and who knows how many more track weekend's there will be.

But I had a real blast for finally getting out to the strip for the first time and from the first run of the night to the last (5 in total) I am pretty satisfied with my results. I'm anxious to get my HKS 264 cams and my bigger turbo back on this engine again and see what that does for things.

Notably I really enjoyed being matched up against a 240zx.
Had some really close races, that were a real rush and it seemed we were a popular match up with the crowd due to how close a few runs were. I'll post some timeslips later today after I get some yard work done. Our first race was 13.36 him to a 13.38 me. I was really pulling him in fast though as MPH were 104 him to my 110 MPH.

My 60 foots really blew all night and my best 60 foot was a dismal 2.3 or something in around there. He was also on drag radials.

But damn fun night. And nothing broke, nothing misbehaved and the car is ready for more.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's a bad thing, I can't properly adjust my camber at the moment due to the camber bolts being stuck, so when my car squats down it only makes the situation even worse. Meaning less contact patch. I will adjust for less camber but have to get the bolts on hand first since I will be forced to cut the old ones off.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Thought so... okay lol
Yup those camber bolts are tough.
My car is dropped on HRs and I couldn't camber enough to get the wheels flat. I slotted the slots in the subframe about an 1/8" and though corner response isn't as quick, I'm not losing traction like I had been.
I can't remember if I modified the camber plates or tabs a touch too...
But yes, flat camber is a great improvement.
Good luck with the bolts!!

I think I read couple years back from IJ. that rear camber adjustability (or lack thereof) forces a compromise between 0* toe and -1 camber or vice versa, but not both or 0 and 0. Which is why I slotted the subframe ones next to the diff...

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, I got sick of having no bumper today so on goes the old one which I still am not at all satisfied with but I figure it is better than nothing for now. When the snow starts flying here I'm gonna revisit it.

But it does look better than no bumper at all.

Attachments

• DSCN0127..jpg
    DSCN0127..jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN0126..jpg
    DSCN0126..jpg
    1 MB · Views: 99

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well,it was the last track night of the year here in Calgary and I once again had a really good night other than traction.

I seem to be able to "mile a hour" the living hell out of my runs but my times and 60 foots are still not very good.

My last run of the evening was a 13 flat @ 118MPH. So if I'm not mistaken this should mean with good traction I should be laying down some really decent numbers.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
Flateric;1624727 said:
Well, I got sick of having no bumper today so on goes the old one which I still am not at all satisfied with but I figure it is better than nothing for now. When the snow starts flying here I'm gonna revisit it.

But it does look better than no bumper at all.

Ew take it off and the hood to

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk