Flateric's, Rocket Red Road Sled!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Exactly. I went with a .68 ar hot side in the hopes that spool would be quicker but I am better off downshifting and having it go full boost and then up shifting. The biggest problem is that I have a fuel cut setup for 6200 rpm. My 1000 cc injectors are on the stock fuel rail and don't get under fed by the MKIV fuel pump at this power range. If I ever consider going closer to 600 RWHP, I don't think the stock fuel rail would be good. Also I think I will go sequential COP as well.

Planning to drive top off to Cochrane at about 3:30 this afternoon.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So I start the car and idle while I put the targa bars on... And the car smokes blue when I go to drive away. Noticed that before too... Is that normal with forged pistons?

Wrong post for that question.. lol.

So.. did you make it out today? I did a full Deerfoot North/South run, Anderson and Macleod. Gorgeous day! Was hoping to run into you. I cant find your text on my phone.. was sure I had it from last year.

Last edited:

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I didn't, I am always forgetting that last little thing needing to be done before it's truely good to go. Today I discovered that my alternator had not been wired into my new loom yet. No charging, lol. Can't go far on a batteries charge alone.

I swapped in a 150 amp tundra alternator earlier this summer. Forgot to add that in my build updates.

I also have to get around to putting my interior back together here one day. It always seems so unimportant on those really nice sunny days when all the mechanicals are done and the car is drivable and therefor plenty fun without the interior.

Also had my laptop HD tank today right when I was setting up the rad fans control and relay config in my aem tuner. Kinda freaky, thats the second HD I lost in 4 days. Sucks.

And very alarming is a very load sorta groan or hum coming from the motor when I was just starting it to pull it into the garage tonight. I suspect it has to do with me getting water on the belts and such since I flushed my rad today with plenty of fresh water to get the old gunky stuff out.

I was thinking you'd be out though.

I'll pm you my digits and stuff so we can meet up more easily.

I'm kinda getting a little down about my car right now with the snow so close and it not being really at all where I would like it as far as being presentable and polished up so to speak. But it's either do the essentials and drive it for what could potentially only be another few weeks or call it over for the year and take my time on every little item now.

So I am choosing the get a few more drives out of it and know I'll be glad I did when it is -40c here soon. Still little things are bugging me from full enjoyment during those drives.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I gave up on perfection for now. I put my car in shows when its mobile even though I consider it not even half where I want it. Settling for enjoying the car in the short window our weather provides. Of course... None of my current issues will cause me to stall out on the road :)

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
YA! Got it charging and all systems go. Went for a good long drive tonight.

Have to get my tune a little adjusted since I am running my bigger turbonetics and the tune is for my old to4b small turbo.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Came across a fair deal today on a Garret GT3582R that I don't actually need but figured why not give it a try.

Might be better for booting around town than my GT4088R and my similarly sized turbonetics dbb.

Not sure but this should be slightly up sized from my t04b journal bearing turbo and obviously spool quicker.

Brand new, unfortunately winter is real close here, but that's why the turbo came into my possession also, brand new never used.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Gord! You're alive! We need to actually hang out sometime you illusive bastard.

Also I didn't realize it was you Grandavi who I was talking to at the end of the quarry park park and polish. Its been awhile since I've been on SM but as soon as I saw your sig again it all fell together.

I really need to get my own pad so I can get my Supra out here.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
.70 A/R Compressor

I hope that's a nice fit not that I have any choice in changing it or anything, it is what it is sorta dealio.

Hey I need the inducer, exducer dimensions of the turbine side of a GT4088r .82 ar since my old one has all the tips gone on it. I figured out how to get it all apart AND here's the biggy, may have found a source for replacing just the turbine out of the thing rather than having to buy the whole center section from garrett, which is like 90 bucks less than a whole turbo.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Yeah Dan, we should get together with Gord, he's been avoiding us all, building his neat stuff by himself. ;)

Did you ever get that tranny issue sorted Gord? I saw something on Facebook about it and meant to follow up with you. I can talk with the trans guy that assembled it, but I'm sure it was working on the bench at least.

Let me know!

Jeff

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well for some giggles and my own curiosity I slipped the GT35R in today for a little test run. I was wrong it is a .68.

Anyways, I don't know what I was expecting, I guess I thought it would be sorta similar to my t04b and not have the kick in the pants of my gt4088r or my turbonetics.

Boy was I wrong, this may be my new favorite turbo for ripping around town. Damn it's angry, in the best possible way. This has upped my timeline for new cams. I'm running the JDM stock cams currently. I suspect a nice set of 264's in there would really wake this up even more.

Ever go for that rip around the block after some new changes not expecting as much as she gives ya, you return home with a big silly goofy grin on your face that won't quit.....that's me right now. Yum I want more, stupid weather!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well I can't say for sure because I must have bumped a wire loose last night as I currently have lost my tach. But it sure feel like it spools alot sooner that 4k.

Gonna ggo for another run right now.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, got a full day on this turbo and a few observations I have about it are;

Pulls hard fast and early, love it.
This anti-surge housing is different that my other garrett anti-surge and it seems more effective at reducing and preventing the surge. I cannot hear the backing up of compressed air as sharply. This housing is the type with many holes drilled around the intake compressor side.
This turbo has a different sound to it when coming into boost hard than that of my other turbos. Just before the big rush it has a distinctive whistle. This could also be a leak in my intake mani however.

Getting cold here, yuck, can almost feel the snow in the air. BOOOO!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Installed some nice LED headlights (Module for highbeam and seperate module for lows) and replaced my fogs with LEDs as well. I put metal foil eyebrow inserts for the regular (low) headlights to prevent them from casting above waist level because they were WAY too bright otherwise for oncoming vehicles.

And I would not want to run the fogs as daytimes at all near dusk for running lights for the same reasons.

The lights really fall off quickly when you are not on center in the sweet spot which I really like so that the side to side fill for oncoming traffic is not over bright. You can somewhat see this effect in the pic with the driverside headlight and fog being slightly faded due to me being positioned slightly off center.

Very happy with the upgrade, was also easy to do and allows my headlights to not flip up as high.

IMG_0361.JPGIMG_0363.JPG

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Been awhile since I did an update so I figured I would with my recent changes and upkeep on the car.

First the interesting, got myself a flir heat camera for my iphone recently, comes in really handy for all kinds of things...Here are some shots of my car after some spirited driving....

IMG_0250.JPGIMG_0252.JPGIMG_0256.JPG

I find it really handy for everything from diagnosing circuits to examining my cars wiring to see which wires may be needing a newer lower (thicker) guage wiring to be run (fuel pump etc)

Now for the very recent, my car has been running poorly but nothing really that I could put my finger upon, a little rich, poor but not bad power and oddly enough I was having alot of trouble getting my BOV to release properly. I did the boost leak test and did find a few around my injectors and the usual, nothing enormous but they did need fixing. Oddly this still did not totally satisfy me. The BOV was operating now, but not as I remembered it in the past, also I was still getting compressor surge. After much fiddling and a brand new BOV I noticed my timing belt had somehow jumped a tooth on my intake side. This is where I currently sit. I doubt very much the timing belt itself is bad since it is a HKS belt and has less than 10k km's on it. I suspect my tensioner but I know for absolute certain that the belt was installed correctly when I put it in. I am uncertain what else could cause it to jump a tooth like this, any other suggestions? Belt is oil free and not stretched.

IMG_0619.JPGIMG_0620.JPGIMG_0621.JPG

I am just about to install some brand new GSC S1 camshafts but am going to hold off until I resolve the current belt jump mystery.