Flateric's, Rocket Red Road Sled!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well here it is finally, a build thread. Feel free to ask me anything you like regarding this build and I'll try to answer as best I can and let you know how I did it.

I bought this car waaaaay back in 1990. I was 19-20 at the time and I originally had gone to the dodge dealership to look at getting a stealth. Why? Well clearly because I was stupid at the time. Anyways, the dodge dealership wouldn't give me the time of day and didn't consider me a serious buyer. The salesman actually had the balls to say, "Ya, kid, why don't you go look at a nice Honda down the block. There will be no free test drives in a fast car you obviously cannot afford! Get lost."

Man was I ever mad, like steaming mad. So since my father sold motorhomes and such and some of them came on a toyota chassis he mentioned that maybe I should consider a toyota. I was driving an 86 celica GTS at that time and thought it was pretty quick. And had heard that there were such things as Turbo AWD Celica's to be had. So I went to the local dealership and inquired and was very quickly told that the chances of finding/getting an ALLTrac were slim to none. I think it was the point in my life that I was on a AWD track and then thecorner of my eye caught a red rear end of a Turbo MKIII. I immediately fell in love with the MKIII fat low muscled looking ass.

Asked the guy what that car was and what it had to offer. The sales guy laughed and said, "That my friend is a real car! Thats a Supra, wanna take a look inside it?" Before even getting into it I noticed the entire roof was removable and I was already in love and my mind was set. When I heard it had a 6 in it and that it was also TURBOCHARGED! I had to know how it drove.

I took it for a spin and there was no way that any other car was for me ever again. And I have had it ever since. Girlfriends have come and gone, years have passed, 7M's have come and gone (4 of them in total) and now it sits in my garage with a 2JZ.

My 7M at it's peak was a fully HKS setup, fcon, vpc, timer, boost controller, T71. And I really had alot of smile per mile at over 500RWHP. For most of my ownership I have not been involved with the processes of maintainence or upgrading and always paid a shop to do everything for me. Up until oneday just after getting a newly built 7M put in (JE pistons, etc.) less than 2000 KM one of my cylinders developed a nasty clanking noise. Turns out I had broken a wrist pin in number 5. HOW? Ya, how, it turned out that the shop that built my motor had left a fairly decent size steel washer in my intake. It had made it's way all the way through my motor, gotten shewed up and then spat out my turbo. How do I know this, well we found half of it smashed into the number 5 cylinder and the other half chewed up inside my turbo.

I was pissed beyond belief, and even more angry when the shop tried initially to pass this off as my fault, for not breaking it in properly and then driving it too hard. I told them to stuff that because while I wasn't the most car knowledgable I knew enogh to know that no amount of shit bagging a car would cause a huge washer to materialize inside my motor.

They finally agreed to rebuild and replace it on their dime but not until I had gotten a lawyer involved and made it clear I wasn't going to go away. Unfortunately for me there shitty workmanship wasn't a onetime thing and my new motor went on me almost immediately with a BHG dispite having a HKS metal stopper type HG. Yup you read that right, I blew a HKS metal HG.

Well this was the turning point for me, I decided to take matter into my own hands and do all future work myself. Which is a little intimidating to say the least. On disassembly it became clear that they had not torqued the head down at all correctly and 2 of my expensive arp bolts on number 6 were just slightly more than hand tight.

And from that I had a bent rod also. So I got yet another 7M ready to throw in there, all machined up and set and then my entire setup was stolen while out of the car. So now again I was back to square one.

Well, if I'm gonna do it, I figured I may as well refresh the whole works and get a 2JZ swapped in and have a updated motor. Keep in mind I had never done any automotive work at all previously and had no clue what I was headed for. So I did lots of research here and learned all the parts I needed to do this swap and while waiting for parts and such, I figured, why not go all out, lets repaint it too.

Never painted anything before either. So I stripped all the parts right off the car down to the subframes, and they came off eventually too.

So here begins the pics of my build. As I went along I kept setting myself back by always insisting to do one extra thing, while I was there before moving on, greatly extending my build timeline but now I think it was worth it.

I doubled all the spot welds in the main body while I had all the paint stripped bare and then foam filled the cavities. And then decided to smooth the rear winglets into the fenders and vent my front fenders (functional). And then to further smooth out the sides and make it a little more modern I shaved the door handles and installed a set of door poppers. And I had just finished building my own CNC router and was itching for tasks for it and came up with the idea of clear side moldings with the back painted rather than the normal way. They looked great in tests and the sun really is a cool effect.

Pics are sizing, please stand by.......

Attachments

• Original_Supra_Mag_advert.jpg
    Original_Supra_Mag_advert.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 154
  • baredoor.jpg
    baredoor.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 186
  • bumper.jpg
    bumper.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 233
  • door2.jpg
    door2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 186
  • fender3.jpg
    fender3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
More

Attachments

• fender.jpg
    fender.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 97
  • fendergreen.jpg
    fendergreen.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 92
  • fenderred.jpg
    fenderred.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 82
  • fendervents.jpg
    fendervents.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 80
  • fenderwhite.jpg
    fenderwhite.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 79

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
And yet a few more, here we go.

Attachments

• magwheel.jpg
    magwheel.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 105
  • paint1.jpg
    paint1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 151
  • paint2.jpg
    paint2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 105
  • paint3.jpg
    paint3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 122
  • paint4.jpg
    paint4.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 103

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
And a few more

Attachments

• painting2.jpg
    painting2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 120
  • painting3.jpg
    painting3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 121
  • painting4.jpg
    painting4.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 99
  • painting.jpg
    painting.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 120
  • partsred.jpg
    partsred.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 106

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
almost there

Attachments

• rearquarter.jpg
    rearquarter.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 102
  • sanding2.jpg
    sanding2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 96
  • sanding3.jpg
    sanding3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 98
  • sanding5.jpg
    sanding5.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 129
  • sanding.jpg
    sanding.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 100

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
great to see an original owner so interested in a MKIII. While some of your exterior mods are questionable, the overall package is great in my opinion..

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
It is a beautiful car!

Kind of reminds me of the time I bought an ebay 7M, and paid a shop to install it. I threw my arms in the air, and found low and behold, a pair of hands of my own. Your hard work is definitely noticed. You have done a great job.

OH.......and George bought a mustang!:: lolsign ::::dickhead:::wtf::: blonde :::biggrinbo

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
honestabe;1466580 said:
Damn nice Gord. Did you go back to the Dodge dealership after you bought the Supra just to really piss the salesman off for losing a sale?

As a matter of fact I did exactly that, while pretending to shop for a car for my girlfriend. Suddenly we had their full attention all of a sudden. I even caught the same sales man digging through my glove box (uninvited). His reason when I confronted him? Because he made the assumption that I had taken the Supra for a test drive and driven over to them pretending to own it.

I told him to get the fuck out of my car that I owned in a very real sense. Unlike he would clearly ever feel for him self since he was such a piss poor salesman.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
RPSil13;1467225 said:
more info on those clear moldings, please

Should give you a bit better idea what I have done with these images which I grabbed from one of my old threads. Just to consolidate here in my build thread.

Attachments

• clearsidemolding1.JPG
    clearsidemolding1.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 156
  • clearsidemolding2.JPG
    clearsidemolding2.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 126
  • clearsidemolding3.JPG
    clearsidemolding3.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 135
  • clearsidemolding4.JPG
    clearsidemolding4.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 112
  • clearsidemolding5.JPG
    clearsidemolding5.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 106

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Got my sideskirts on and since it's snowing and yuck out I'm working on little details and such.

front wheels are off and front of car is jacked up. Thats why the funky angle.

Attachments

• sideshot1.jpg
    sideshot1.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 160

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Left & right side cam cover with welded ventalation hole ready for tapping to AN fitting thread. Now working on a CNC aluminium center section.....

Attachments

• leftsidecamcover.jpg
    leftsidecamcover.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 94
  • rightsidecamcover.jpg
    rightsidecamcover.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 71