2JZ swap *BUILD THREAD*

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
edit: nvm i though the pic on page 4 was his

I have a set of usdm twins sitting in my closet :naughty: pm if interested.

The y pipe outlet on the usdm turbos is like 3" compared to the jdm 2.5".. little extra flow there too..

I removed all my ttc valves on mine, boost comes on quick.. no lag imo.. its a fun car, but I have boost creep problems.. .8 bar in 1st 1bar in 2nd and 1.2 in 3rd.. havn't tried 4th (that high in the rpm band.... 6k+).. gotta check for boost leaks and check my wastegates.. oh well..

GL with the swap, its worht it!

Last edited:

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
mobes said:
Here is a picture of the back of the intake on a JDM 2JZ:
jdm2JZ.jpg

No EGR on JDM 2JZ

I don't see anything there that resembles EGR provisions. Yes, there are soft plugs, but compare that to the USDM intake photos here:
USDM 2JZ Intake Photos

Notice how the EGR attaches to the top of the manifold, above the large soft plug. Also notice within the manifold there is a tube extending front to back that is plumbed to that hole. Now I have never seen the inside of a JDM intake, but I would surmise based on the different location of the seam on top of the manifold that there is no EGR tube inside.

It seems that the Aristo motors are the only ones without the brake booster port. Every JDM Supra that I've seen has had it.

Japanese vs Export 2JZ
Interesting. I stand corrected. I always thought that the small plug was for the egr.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
tissimo said:
edit: nvm i though the pic on page 4 was his

I have a set of usdm twins sitting in my closet :naughty: pm if interested.

The y pipe outlet on the usdm turbos is like 3" compared to the jdm 2.5".. little extra flow there too..

I removed all my ttc valves on mine, boost comes on quick.. no lag imo.. its a fun car, but I have boost creep problems.. .8 bar in 1st 1bar in 2nd and 1.2 in 3rd.. havn't tried 4th (that high in the rpm band.... 6k+).. gotta check for boost leaks and check my wastegates.. oh well..

GL with the swap, its worht it!

thanks , but i don't plan on keeping the twin setup for long anyway.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
ok so i just bought a maf and 550cc injectors with rail and i am wondering if i can just put these in and get an AFPR and i'd be alright. i have a safc 2 to tune it with. but... mobes said that jdm has MAP instead of MAF. can i still use the MAF i bought? should i get a us mkiv ecu

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
MAP is better.... if the engine came with the ecu and harness use those and you can run the map setup, If you get a Usdm ecu you will have to run a MAF.

the us ecu and MAF will be setup to run 550's, but you can stay map and EASILY tune them out with the Safc.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
since i have no brake booster provision on the manifold. can i use a vacuum line off one of the turbos. i guess the first one. since the 2nd one isn't online all the time. or should i just take off the manifold and drill a hole through it to but the vacuum nipple in it?

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
crazysupra2JZ said:
since i have no brake booster provision on the manifold. can i use a vacuum line off one of the turbos. i guess the first one. since the 2nd one isn't online all the time. or should i just take off the manifold and drill a hole through it to but the vacuum nipple in it?

if your using your stock turbos, you would be better running them in TTC.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
againstdawall06 said:
if your using your stock turbos, you would be better running them in TTC.

what is TTC? the line that comes from the valve cover to the manifold. would that be a good enough vacuum source? i just noticed that. i'm gonna be using an oil catch can, so instead of plugging up the vacuum line i can just use it for the brake booster

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i wouldn't use the ttc(sequental) mode with the stock turbo's.i would run them parrallel to prolong the death of the rear turbo(if it isn't allready junk).the sequental system was nice for low end,but not realiability.the front turbo spooling the rear is hard on the turbo shaft.if the vsv's don't work then you overboost the front turbo.you might want to do some reading up on the set-up before you decide,because you might have to go single sooner then you wanted

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
tsuper92 said:
i wouldn't use the ttc(sequental) mode with the stock turbo's.i would run them parrallel to prolong the death of the rear turbo(if it isn't allready junk).the sequental system was nice for low end,but not realiability.the front turbo spooling the rear is hard on the turbo shaft.if the vsv's don't work then you overboost the front turbo.you might want to do some reading up on the set-up before you decide,because you might have to go single sooner then you wanted

hmm...well, i bought a T4 manifold for it already and i have a T70 from xspower. as well as a T3/T4 adapter. i did want to keep the twins on there to see how it felt. i don't want to increase the boost on them, 280 hp is good enough. that's about 80 more than i had with the 7M. but since the motor is still out i should just swap the T70 in now and save the hassle. and i can put in the 550cc injectors i bought. i bought stock ones from a usdm supra. i have an safc 2 so i can tune. but i'm not really sure what i'm doing there. i need to take it to get tuned.

but i think this weekend i'll put the single turbo in there...everyone seems to agree that the twins aren't that great

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
jdm twin's are garbage,the usdm will take you to 450whp.you will need to wire in a resistor pack for the usdm 550's(low impedeince)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
crazysupra2JZ said:
hmm...well, i bought a T4 manifold for it already and i have a T70 from xspower. as well as a T3/T4 adapter. i did want to keep the twins on there to see how it felt. i don't want to increase the boost on them, 280 hp is good enough. that's about 80 more than i had with the 7M. but since the motor is still out i should just swap the T70 in now and save the hassle. and i can put in the 550cc injectors i bought. i bought stock ones from a usdm supra. i have an safc 2 so i can tune. but i'm not really sure what i'm doing there. i need to take it to get tuned.

but i think this weekend i'll put the single turbo in there...everyone seems to agree that the twins aren't that great

If you're wanting to put on that xspower turbo, you'll definitely want to ship it off the John at MDC to have him clean out the walnut shells for you and give it the once over before you decide to put it on. If you a little confused as to what I'm talking about, PM him and he'll let you know what he usually finds in those turbos straight outa the box ;).

mrsuprafreak

Where does it end?
Aug 14, 2005
Orlando
www.cardomain.com
crazysupra2JZ said:

80 hp more is good enough! huh yeah right, who are you trying to fool!!!:nono:

I started out with wanting to run on stock twins and now my car isn't even done yet but coming out with over 600hp on single with fuel upgrade. Good luck!

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
yea you're right... i just bought a walbro fuel pump and now i all need is an AFPR. then the fuel system will be done enough for now. till next year when i do more upgrades to it.

mrsuprafreak

Where does it end?
Aug 14, 2005
Orlando
www.cardomain.com
crazysupra2JZ said:
yea you're right... i just bought a walbro fuel pump and now i all need is an AFPR. then the fuel system will be done enough for now. till next year when i do more upgrades to it.

Yeah I know. And as far as being done for now I don't know about that.

I started out with a fuel pump to two then a custom dual feed fuel rail with 850cc injectors to a FPR kit to -8 feed with a -6 return and etc... You will be there soon also.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
alright. i ran into a problem with putting the engine in the car. the sway bar on the botom... is that really important? cause when the suspension moves it hits the crank pulley...i could just take it off and be ok... and for some reason the front end is still like 1 foot in the air. like when you take the engine out... it still looks like that

this is what i'm talking about
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p550477_1.jpg

p550477_2.jpg

p550477_3.jpg