2JZ swap *BUILD THREAD*

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
I really am just stating my opinion, and i do wish you all the best luck with your swap and that it will be everything you want it to be

but it looks like it is time to change your name.:)

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
boostadikt said:
actually that is just my argument... if you put new technology into a 7m it is just as good, forged pistons, rods ect, and if you put a metal headgasket and studs in a 7m i dont see how you could ever have a hg problem again unless something was done wrong. and also the 2jz is pretty old technology as well, the motor is now completely ceased production even the GE, in order to make the 2jz the magnificent motor it is, it needs newer technology as well.

No doubt the 2jz is a far better motor from the get go but for potential, i dont think so... with the proper money invested the 7m can be just as great.

im not trying to bring you down at all, i have thought about 1j and 2j swaps many times but i love seeing a well built 7m, and you will have more power potential from a factory 2j than a 7m but again if your goals ever reach Really High #s they are on the same platform

Sorry bro - 2J>7m

You have to invest a lot of money in a 7M to make it as capable as a stock 2JZ. My guess is that youve never taken both the motors apart and looked at them.

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
wow im glad that you read what i typed..... i said 2j's are better stock and that they have a lot more potential than a 7m from the get go, but once you get into a MAJOR build it becomes the same game.

and your guess is very wrong, i have taken them both apart many times and once you get down to the motor you actually see how similar they are, bottom end diffs............
2JZ= 86mm bore 86mm stroke
7m= 83mm bore 91mm stoke
they are very similar, it is in the head that 2j excels

i am not arguing that the 2j isn't better because IT IS BETTER, im saying people underestimate the 7m, and id like to see more of them built well.

but i really would not like to continue this, because i dont want to ruin this build thread

Last edited:

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
yeah, i do need to change my name:)
see, that's another thing. the 2JZ has a shorter stroke. means higher rev limit. someday i'd like to rev it to 8.5k or higher. i wouldn't imagine trying that in a 7M. but then again that's also why the 7M has more torque.

thanks a lot for the support, i can't wait to do all the wiring for this thing. especially when i'm no good at wiring:)

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
boostadikt said:
wow im glad that you read what i typed..... i said 2j's are better stock and that they have a lot more potential than a 7m from the get go, but once you get into a MAJOR build it becomes the same game.

and your guess is very wrong, i have taken them both apart many times and once you get down to the motor you actually see how similar they are, bottom end diffs............
2JZ= 86mm bore 86mm stroke
7m= 83mm bore 91mm stoke
they are very similar, it is in the head that 2j excels

i am not arguing that the 2j isn't better because IT IS BETTER, im saying people underestimate the 7m, and id like to see more of them built well.

but i really would not like to continue this, because i dont want to ruin this build thread

Sorry man - I didnt mean to come across as condescending.

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
yeah get ready for some fun, it will not be a small project for sure, but i also agree with what was previously said that it would be a good idea to mount a fmic and get pipes and exhaust ready, then you will have a bpu 2j and make 400hp :)

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
boostadikt said:
yeah get ready for some fun, it will not be a small project for sure, but i also agree with what was previously said that it would be a good idea to mount a fmic and get pipes and exhaust ready, then you will have a bpu 2j and make 400hp :)

wellll....i'm not too sure what the difference is with a 2JZ from an Aristo. it only has 280hp...is it in the ecu that makes it have less power than the 320hp supra or is it in the twins. maybe the boost is set lower? i don't know...i need to find out though

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
got my engine....YEAH......
p538670_1.jpg

p538670_2.jpg

p538670_3.jpg

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
The stock HP is listed as 280hp due to the "gentlemens agreement" the actualy hp is more then that. though it is a lil slower then the usdm 2j because of the cams and turbos i think.

good luck, i will be starting my 2j project soon.

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
how are the cams and turbo's different?

CT12's are CT12's and im pretty sure they wouldn't produce different cams for the same engine, when there is no need

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
boostadikt said:
how are the cams and turbo's different?

CT12's are CT12's and im pretty sure they wouldn't produce different cams for the same engine, when there is no need
USDM cams are more agressive
USDM turbo's are steel turbine wheels vs JDM ceramic
Also the JDM's have 440cc high impedance (saturation) injectors vs USDM 550cc low impedance (peak and hold)

It's the same engine, but then again it's not. There are many differences. Basically, the USA wasn't under the same restrictions as Japan, so they went all out on the USA version. The JDM version does have a couple things going for it though: it has MAP airflow metering, whereas the USDM version has MAF, and it has a completely different intake plenum due to the lack of EGR.

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
mobes said:
USDM cams are more agressive
USDM turbo's are steel turbine wheels vs JDM ceramic

It's the same engine, but then again it's not. There are many differences. Basically, the USA wasn't under the same restrictions as Japan, so they went all out on the USA version. The JDM version does have a couple things going for it though: it has MAP airflow metering, whereas the USDM version has MAF, and it has a completely different intake plenum due to the lack of EGR.
While the JDM 2J doesnt have an egr it does have the provisions for it on the intake. The only difference between intakes is that the JDM doesnt have a provision for the brake booster on the top. It has all the same egr crap inside its just pluged on the end with a pressed in brass plug.

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
for real?...... i always thought the main diff was no egr, and the MAP Sensor, i dont get why they would change the turbos and cams. that is another design and production that is not necissary. i would have thought they would just lower boost levels and detune the ECU, especially with the 440's

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
SD2JZA70 said:
While the JDM 2J doesnt have an egr it does have the provisions for it on the intake. The only difference between intakes is that the JDM doesnt have a provision for the brake booster on the top. It has all the same egr crap inside its just pluged on the end with a pressed in brass plug.
Here is a picture of the back of the intake on a JDM 2JZ:
jdm2JZ.jpg

No EGR on JDM 2JZ

I don't see anything there that resembles EGR provisions. Yes, there are soft plugs, but compare that to the USDM intake photos here:
USDM 2JZ Intake Photos

Notice how the EGR attaches to the top of the manifold, above the large soft plug. Also notice within the manifold there is a tube extending front to back that is plumbed to that hole. Now I have never seen the inside of a JDM intake, but I would surmise based on the different location of the seam on top of the manifold that there is no EGR tube inside.

It seems that the Aristo motors are the only ones without the brake booster port. Every JDM Supra that I've seen has had it.

boostadikt said:
for real?...... i always thought the main diff was no egr, and the MAP Sensor, i dont get why they would change the turbos and cams. that is another design and production that is not necissary. i would have thought they would just lower boost levels and detune the ECU, especially with the 440's
Japanese vs Export 2JZ

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
now i have a problem with the oil pan and sump... according to toyota... supras all have the front sump oil pan just like what i have now... but people are saying a supra oil pan will clear the crossmember but the aristo won't..i see no difference in this and the one i have now
this is a 94 supra turbo...same all the way up to 99...in 97 the part number changed

and that brake booster vacuum is by the turbos i believe. it looks like a pretty badass vacuum tube, i'm assuming it's for the brake booster

sm_photo_missing.jpg

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
the front sump is for mkii's. the mkiii and mkiv are a mid sump. the aristo pan is whats needed for mkii's. so if you want to sell that front sump pan and pickup. lmk, im interested as id need them for a 2j swap into an mkii in the future.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
well, the lower sump pan is crushed from shipping but the upper pan is good. i really don't think hammering it back out will work...i'm actually coming down to panama city this weekend for a car show, so you can take a look at it. you can meet me there.

edit*** i solved the oil pan issue. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332028
and thanks to lowe toyota for giving me a good price on everything...

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
againstdawall06 said:
so the mkiv oil pan WILL clear the crossmember?
Of a MKIII? Yes.

MKII Supra, Aristo, Chaser, Cressida: Front sump
MKIII Supra, MKIV Supra, Soarer: Mid (AKA rear) sump