2JZ swap *BUILD THREAD*

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
well, i had a slight change of plans in my other build 'Rita's Big Build'

I've decided to swap in a stock twin turbo 2JZ. I love the MKIII look but i want the MKIV power. so today i painted my engine bay black cause someday i'm gonna paint the car black. so i should have the engine by may or june at the latest. and then i need to look for a 89+ cross member. but i don't know why i can't just remove the 7M engine mounts and weld in 2JZ mounts. i'm still in the process of researching all i need to do but for now i need to get my hands on a 2JZ... i'm also just gonna keep the 2JZ stock for now. i figure 320 hp is good enough for now. that's 120 more than i currently have

i'm gonna replace the head gasket, ARP studs, and other things i can replace that's cheap...

progress so far
1JZ bellhousing
1Jz flywheel
Spec stage 3 6 puck clutch kit
BIC motor mounts
2JZ-GTE
ECU
Engine harness
SAFC 2
2JZ waterpump
lightweight pulley set

depending on how the R154 feels i might keep it and get a jawsgear driveshaft. otherwise i'm gonna be swapping in a V160, eventually.

p529376_1.jpg

p529376_2.jpg

p529376_3.jpg

p529376_4.jpg

p529376_5.jpg

p529376_6.jpg

Last edited:

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
Brewster said:
why would you replace the hg on a 2j?

i could do a compression test on it first i guess. but it's just for piece of mind...i guess i'm just used to the 7M and it's HG problems... never had any experience with 2jz's

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
kwnate said:
Cause we all know that the stock power of a 2j is unobtainable with a 7m :icon_razz

Good luck with your swap!

i know the 7M is capable of making a lot of power. but the 7m can't rev to 9000 rpm. i'm still keeping my 7M, i'm gonna rebuild it eventually.

thanks though, the wiring i know is going to be a nightmare

edit: :kloguck:

Last edited:

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
crazysupra7mgte said:
i know the 7M is capable of making a lot of power. but the 7m can't rev to 9000 rpm. i'm still keeping my 7M, i'm gonna rebuild it eventually.
umm, i don't think you should have said that without putting this smiley in there :kloguck:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
crazysupra7mgte said:

edit: :kloguck:

::COUGH::milbrum::COUGH::

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
well... i just ordered a 2JZ-GTE with the engine harness and ecu and i bought the motor mounts from BIC and 1JZ flywheel and stage 4 7M/1JZ clutch kit form 935 Motorsports... hopefully everything should be here with 2 weeks....post pics then...now all i needs is a 1JZ bellhousing..time to go to junkyards in Atlanta

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
starscream5000 said:
You won't keep it stock "for now" ;), at least put a full turbo back on it along with hard pipes and FMIC...

haha...well you see, i no longer have any money to modd it. i'm gonna go BPU for now then when i have some money saved up i'll take it out and upgrade it. HKS Dragger II is what i REALLY want and i have a 12x24x4 intercooler already and i'm gonna put in either 3" or 2.5" intercooler pipes with a HKS SSQV

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
If your power goals are ~550 HP and under, 2.5" piping will suffice for most. Getting 3" hardpipes will lower the velocity of the air going through it too low and you will be getting no where fast ;). Critical velocity is where you want to be at with the tubing (barely under CV actually).

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
people don't give the 7m enough credit..... :nono: the real reason you see 2jz's making mega HP is because in general the people with mkiv's building them Have the big bucks and dont flinch when they need to spend 3,000$ on a turbo. if you put 60k in a mkiii with a 7m you would get the same results..... Just my opinion

but the engine bay looks great! and good luck with your swap:icon_bigg

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
boostadikt said:
people don't give the 7m enough credit..... :nono: the real reason you see 2jz's making mega HP is because in general the people with mkiv's building them Have the big bucks and dont flinch when they need to spend 3,000$ on a turbo. if you put 60k in a mkiii with a 7m you would get the same results..... Just my opinion

but the engine bay looks great! and good luck with your swap:icon_bigg

well don't get me wrong now. i still believe the 7M is a great motor, but you just can't deny newer technology. i for one don't want to be changing the head gasket on my 7M every year.

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
actually that is just my argument... if you put new technology into a 7m it is just as good, forged pistons, rods ect, and if you put a metal headgasket and studs in a 7m i dont see how you could ever have a hg problem again unless something was done wrong. and also the 2jz is pretty old technology as well, the motor is now completely ceased production even the GE, in order to make the 2jz the magnificent motor it is, it needs newer technology as well.

No doubt the 2jz is a far better motor from the get go but for potential, i dont think so... with the proper money invested the 7m can be just as great.

im not trying to bring you down at all, i have thought about 1j and 2j swaps many times but i love seeing a well built 7m, and you will have more power potential from a factory 2j than a 7m but again if your goals ever reach Really High #s they are on the same platform