zero compression on all 6 cylinders

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
I'm not new to assembling the 7mgte, but I can't figure this one out. Sometimes I do stupid mistakes and then it dawns on me but here is what I have. I took the head off the motor to install BC springs, retainers and 272 cams. I reinstalled the head with my HKS stopper headgasket with copper spray. This isn't the first time I reused it. I installed BC 272 cams. and reshimed the valves. I set the crank to zero and installed the cam gears with the marks pointing up. (I actually set them to -3 and +1).

I tried starting it, cranks but no start. I check for fuel, yup, spark, yup, triple checked the cps, yup. Last I check for compression which I thought I obviously had. I have 0psi on all 6. i was able to get 9psi once out of my 25 tries or so.

I was very careful not to rotate any valves when installing the springs. No valves were even removed.

I rechecked the shim clearance on a few of them. Good, so the cam isn't holding the valve open.

The aftermarket cams "appear" to have the lobs pointing in the same general direction as the stock cams.

I used 3 people to install the headgasket. 1 person used a flashlight to make sure the head landed on the dowels.

The dowels on the cams are in the middle of the 3 holes.

I connected an air compressor to the spark plug hole. I do hear some leaking internally but sounds normal to me. Slowly leaking past the rings I assume. But nothing appears to be leaking outside of the motor at the headgasket.

The engine sounds the same when cranking with and without the spark plugs in...it has that "compression test cranking sound" when the motor is fully assembled.

I see the cams turn. I know the pistons are moving because I put a straw in the spark plug hole.

Fully build motor with about 2000 miles. Zero compression.

Any ideas?
Dennis

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
If you certain its not the gauge, its gotta be valve timing. Even with a bunk HG install I'm sure some cylinders would get pressure.

When you say you hear air escaping past the rings is it coming out the PCV on the valve covers?

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
dumbo;1461139 said:
If you certain its not the gauge, its gotta be valve timing. Even with a bunk HG install I'm sure some cylinders would get pressure.

When you say you hear air escaping past the rings is it coming out the PCV on the valve covers?

I did the test with the valve covers off. I could try that. After I recheck all this timing stuff. I did take apart my cam gears to clean them...maybe something happened.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
survyor2;1461141 said:
I did the test with the valve covers off. I could try that. After I recheck all this timing stuff. I did take apart my cam gears to clean them...maybe something happened.

Did you put the pins back in? IIRC (its been a while) There's more then one spot you can pin them, or maybe that was my friends yota pick up...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
:nono: timing could be 180 degrees off on one cam and it would still have some cylinder pressure.

What are the valve clearances now?

Did you turn the crank at all with no cam belt?

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
IJ.;1461151 said:
:nono: timing could be 180 degrees off on one cam and it would still have some cylinder pressure.

What are the valve clearances now?

Did you turn the crank at all with no cam belt?

valve clearances at the minimum spec....about .15 for the intake and .20 on the exhaust I belive.

I did turn the crank...to put it at zero, then I turned the cam gears to zero. Once everything was set I turned the the whole motor twice to make sure there was no interferance.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Would make life easier if you had one or could borrow one, even a regulator on a compressor and use your compression tester coupling.

Set the reg to 30psi then listen at the intake for leakage....

I'm guessing you have 12 bent valves it takes the barest touch to bend them due to the tiny stems in a 7M. :(

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
IJ.;1461219 said:
Would make life easier if you had one or could borrow one, even a regulator on a compressor and use your compression tester coupling.

Set the reg to 30psi then listen at the intake for leakage....

I'm guessing you have 12 bent valves it takes the barest touch to bend them due to the tiny stems in a 7M. :(

I do have an air compressor with a spark plug fitting. Is it the 272 cams that make the motor an interference issue? I also have a thicker headgasket.